Poisonous Bufo Toad In Yard

L

led.boots

My dachshund is recovering from the poison of a bufo toad, a huge toad originally from S America. (They are only in Florida in the US and are cold intolerant.) My Pepper is 13 years old and 11 pounds, so it could have easily killed her. She apparently either licked or tried to attack it, (it was dark so I couldn't see). I hosed out her mouth and nose when I saw the big toad hopping along and figured out why Pepper was freaking out. She showed the signs of poisoning, and she is still really weak and twitchy, but she eats, walks (slowly unless she's excited) and eliminates. The vet gave her iv fluids, gave me some meds for her and let me take her home.

Now they tell me I'm supposed to find this toad or toads and kill them because they are toxic to local wildlife like snakes, birds, etc., as well as the house pets. I have tons of different frogs, toads, lizards, snakes (black racers that I know of), birds, squirrels, etc. I am not going to kill any toads. :(

My dachshund is recovering from the poison of a bufo toad, a huge toad originally from S America. (They are only in Florida in the US and are cold intolerant.) My Pepper is 13 years old and 11 pounds, so it could have easily killed her. She apparently either licked or tried to attack it, (it was dark so I couldn't see). I hosed out her mouth and nose when I saw the big toad hopping along and figured out why Pepper was freaking out. She showed the signs of poisoning, and she is still really weak and twitchy, but she eats, walks (slowly unless she's excited) and eliminates. The vet gave her iv fluids, gave me some meds for her and let me take her home.

Now they tell me I'm supposed to find this toad or toads and kill them because they are toxic to local wildlife like snakes, birds, etc., as well as the house pets. I have tons of different frogs, toads, lizards, snakes (black racers that I know of), birds, squirrels, etc. I am not going to kill any toads. :(

Poor puppy. :( I hope she recovers completely and doesn't mess with those toads again!

Invasive animals are such a difficult dilemma. :(

I've never heard of bufo toads before, so I had to google it. Boy, are they poisonous, glad your dog was lucky enough to have survived. Hopefully, she won't run into one of those again. I saw someone mention that they always rake through the grass before letting their dogs out, to hopefully clear out any of the toads.

Invasive animals are such a difficult dilemma. :(

:sadnod: I wonder if they have any natural predators in Florida.

So sorry that happened to poor Pepper! I hope she recovers quickly.

Thanks, you guys. Pepper seems to be doing well, she is still kind of weak in the hind legs, but not falling down or tremoring like before. It is so hard to tell with dogs, they are just so happy no matter what. I'm just taking her out on the leash now because I'm afraid of the killer toads. I'm going to go out with my (braver than me) son tonight with a red flashlight (red color doesn't startle night creatures?) to see if we see any. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I meant to post a link on my original post, but I'm a little sleep deprived watching the Pep. Scary toad pic. http://www.fondrenpetcare.com/bufo_toad.htm

That sucks, but it's good that she's doing better at least.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I can't imagine ever bringing myself to kill toads, though if it came down to my pet's survival I might. There's got to be some way to repel them, hmm.

That sucks, but it's good that she's doing better at least.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I can't imagine ever bringing myself to kill toads, though if it came down to my pet's survival I might. There's got to be some way to repel them, hmm.
We looked last night, and saw LOTS of interesting night creatures (my son's arm must have finger squeeze bruises from me!) but luckily no large toads. I haven't heard any bufo toads in the night chorus; they are supposed to sound like a faraway truck. We weren't going to kill or relocate it if we did see it; I don't know what to do, honestly.

I read about them and talked to a local ranger, and these toads are apparently really hard to discourage; they will even burrow under fences and hop over 2-foot fences. They eat anything, especially loving dog food, which we don't have outside anyway. I'm wondering about the compost, though.

Thank you, Shyvas for that link. I look at the yard in a different way now. I've always been happy to have all kinds of creatures in my yard, except fire ants, venomous snakes and dangerous spiders, and now these toads. My daughter and husband are both deathly allergic to fire ants. Maybe I should move somewhere colder.

Thank you, Shyvas for that link. I look at the yard in a different way now. I've always been happy to have all kinds of creatures in my yard, except fire ants, venomous snakes and dangerous spiders, and now these toads. My daughter and husband are both deathly allergic to fire ants. Maybe I should move somewhere colder.

Well don't consider moving over to my neck of the woods. As you know that there is a 'deadly' 2 legged, viscious creature in the neighbourhood !!!! :rofl:

I havent seen a frog out here in a long time. Lots of lizards tho.

My dog has some after-effects from the poisoning. :( She's showing her age. Our yard is so full of frogs and toads, it sounds like a rain forest chorus, so I have to keep an eye on Pepper when she's outside.