Gamebirds….. Pheasants

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
For a long time now we have had a cock pheasant as a very regular visitor in our garden. In fact he is there at the moment. He is always welcome despite the very gooey deposits he sometimes leaves. We have tried to completely ignore him because we do not want him to become person friendly which might make his early demise more likely.

This morning I was walking through a scrub like area separating pastureland and moorland and met a probable member of his harem. She noisily crossed the path just behind me and continued on a course almost parallel to mine inviting me to pursue her. The purpose of this performance was to draw me away from her chicks.

Many years ago I had my first experience of observing broken wing syndrome and that was what sparked my interest in moorland birds. A hen grouse came out of the heather and hopped away from me with one obviously damaged wing stretched out horizontally. Several times I attempted to approach it and each time it hopped further away showing signs of great distress. To my amazement it then flew off leaving me feeling somewhat foolish.

Roger.

Reactions: Lou