Plastic awareness

I'm currently watching the following news clip about Australia's "recycling" of things like plastic, which, according to this, isn't recycling at all. News to me. Still watching but I thought of this thread so I'm posting it here:

• Wow
Reactions: Damo
I enjoyed reading this conversation about using plastics.

Here is my opinionated opinion. I am a very cheap guy. The less I spend, the less stress I put on the environment. At the same time, the less I spend, the more money I have to invest in stocks and bonds. My clothing and car looks well used. I never go to the movies. I am too cheap to eat out. I do not go on vacations. I even stopped buying the occasional can of beer. But, I am happy.

The best things in life are cheap: a beautiful thunderstorm, a cool breeze, or walk in the park.

Give me a $1 kite and I can make it dance, dive, and glide all day long.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
This is odd, just like how carnists will try to say we should take shorter showers to save water, ignoring the largest single impact that consumers have on water usage (animal agro) it seems the same is happening with plastic in the oceans. The carnists are calling for bans on bottle/bags and straws made of plastic to "help" the planet, ignoring the largest single problem with plastic in the ocean:

https://mercyforanimals.org/straws-arent-the-real-problem-fishing-nets

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and Ger
This is odd, just like how carnists will try to say we should take shorter showers to save water, ignoring the largest single impact that consumers have on water usage (animal agro) it seems the same is happening with plastic in the oceans. The carnists are calling for bans on bottle/bags and straws made of plastic to "help" the planet, ignoring the largest single problem with plastic in the ocean:

https://mercyforanimals.org/straws-arent-the-real-problem-fishing-nets

Yeah. It's really a good idea to do both, though.

As an undergraduate what I found most infuriating about some of the people in my cohort (and most of my professors) was the hypocrisy. I have a BSc in Environmental Science, and I would attend club meetings or luncheons (especially among the "environmental education" people who work with kids) where not just meat BUT RED MEAT would be served as an option on sandwiches or pizzas. It made me absolutely furious....then again, there were other groups in the environmental science department who only cater vegan or vegetarian events, and about half of my cohort was either vegetarian or vegan.

I had one enemy in particular, I had to do a group project with her for senior practicum. By the end of the semester I could barely keep myself from slapping her (she was just openly passive aggressive and catty, really immature for a college senior, even compared to other people her age) and she openly complained about her vegan roommate in front of me. About how annoying some vegans are. So at the end of the semester, I told her roommate what she said. He said that she and her partner were always really rude when it was their turn to make "group food" that they would always put meat in it. I hope he cleaned the toilet with her toothbrush.

• Angry
Reactions: Hog and Ger
This is a good issue to raise and one that I feel requires a change of societal values to turn the clock back about forty years. Typing as someone who is now in his sixth decade, I noticed that the gradual change from the use of re-usable glass bottles to disposable plastic bottles occurred with the growth of out-of-town superstores throughout the 1980's. Along with this was the trend of bulk-packing other goods in plastic. Granted that the decline in corner shops and growth in supermarkets was already underway during the 1970's.

One of my major bugbears with supermarkets is the way that fruit 'n' veg sold loose works out more expensive per item that that pre-packed. The supermarket chains could change this pricing policy, but will only do so if pressure is brought to bear on them.