plaque reversion on low fat plant based diet consequences

fakei

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
Many years ago heard from a vegan person that sudden transition to veganism could be dangerous because the lower fat content leads to the removal of plaque accumulated in the arteries with the release of toxins that could kill a person. Obviously the person was talking in the context of a low fat whole food plant based vegan diet.
The first part about the removal of plaque has been demontrated as it can be seen in the angiograms presented in doctor Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

However don't remember reading about any side effects, except doctor MacDougall saying in a video, if I'm not mistaken and understood correctly, that blood cholesterol can increase due to the above mentioned.

Does anyone have more info on this issue?

Last edited:
Many years ago heard from a vegan person that sudden transition to veganism could be dangerous because the lower fat content leads to the removal of plaque accumulated in the arteries with the release of toxins that could kill a person. Obviously the person was talking in the context of a low fat whole food plant based vegan diet.
The first part about the removal of plaque has been demontrated as it can be seen in the angiograms presented in doctor Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease.

However don't remember reading about any side effects, except doctor MacDougall saying in a video, if I'm not mistaken and understood correctly, that blood cholesterol can increase due to the above mentioned.

Does anyone have more info on this issue?
I know about plaque removal but I have never heard of it poisoning anybody. I am very doubtful about this. I don't know about blood cholesterol increase either but it's probably small and temporary. I'll do some research and see what I can find.

According to THIS REPORT "after just one week of eating only plants, firefighters celebrated a drop in their cholesterol. Why? “Plant foods have zero cholesterol and generally have a much lower saturated fat content, except for palm and coconut oils, which should be avoided if your goal is to lower cholesterol,” says Joel Kahn, M.D., founder of the Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity in Bingham Farms, Mich., and author of The Plant-Based Solution. A total immersion into a whole-food plant diet can result in a rapid drop in your total cholesterol as much as 100 mg/dl, which Kahn calls a massive shift."

The overall effect of a change to a vegan diet seems to be an instant reduction in cholesterol, even if the removal of plaque does add some.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
According to THIS REPORT "after just one week of eating only plants, firefighters celebrated a drop in their cholesterol. Why? “Plant foods have zero cholesterol and generally have a much lower saturated fat content, except for palm and coconut oils, which should be avoided if your goal is to lower cholesterol,” says Joel Kahn, M.D., founder of the Kahn Center for Cardiac Longevity in Bingham Farms, Mich., and author of The Plant-Based Solution. A total immersion into a whole-food plant diet can result in a rapid drop in your total cholesterol as much as 100 mg/dl, which Kahn calls a massive shift."

The overall effect of a change to a vegan diet seems to be an instant reduction in cholesterol, even if the removal of plaque does add some.
Thank you for the info. Yes doctor Esselstyn says more or less the same thing and he shows the angiograms in his book regarding plaque reversion.

I must assume the death through release of toxins is out of the question since there is no nention and doctor Esselstyn for instance had a near 100% rate of success in reversing heart disease.

However learning more about possible side effects would be interesting.

Without wanting to drift from the topic, in alternative cures, not necessarily through a plant based diet or in reversal of heart disease, there is often mention to skin eruptions and all kinds of escretions. And there is a famous american actor who reversed prostate cancer through a plant based diet and he mentions these secondary effects. However don't remember ever hearing plant based doctors mentioning it. Maybe these are unrelated phenomenons that people tend to attribute to the curing process but which relation is not scientifically verified or explained.

For instance in my first attempts to follow a strict vegetarian diet suffered from a lot of conjunctivitis and inflamation and eruptions in the eyelids, and some people even said that it might be a purge, however now I know that it was allergy to gluten or something in wheat that caused dried eyes which in turn caused all kind of inflamations. I simply had become much more exposed to it after giving up animal products.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Yes doctor Esselstyn says more or less the same thing and he shows the angiograms in his book regarding plaque reversion.

I must assume the death through release of toxins is out of the question since there is no nention and doctor Esselstyn for instance had a near 100% rate of success in reversing heart disease.

However learning more about possible side effects would be interesting.

Without wanting to drift from the topic, in alternative cures, not necessarily through a plant based diet or in reversal of heart disease, there is often mention to skin eruptions and all kinds of escretions. And there is a famous american actor who reversed prostate cancer through a plant based diet and he mentions these secondary effects. However don't remember ever hearing plant based doctors mentioning it. Maybe these are unrelated phenomenons that people tend to attribute to the curing process but which relation is not scientifically verified or explained.

For instance in my first attempts to follow a strict vegetarian diet suffered from a lot of conjunctivitis and inflamation and eruptions in the eyelids, and some people even said that it might be a purge, however now I know that it was allergy to gluten or something in wheat that caused dried eyes which in turn caused all kind of inflamations. I simply had become much more exposed to it after giving up animal products.
I think that if you are supplementing properly there should be no need for skin problems but I'm not a medical doctor so I don't know. I think your intestinal flora has a part to play there. I have personally never heard of any such thing.

Many years ago heard from a vegan person that sudden transition to veganism could be dangerous because the lower fat content leads to the removal of plaque accumulated in the arteries with the release of toxins that could kill a person.
Some random vegan told you this, and therefore it must be true? Where's the documentation? Where's the proof?

I think that if you are supplementing properly there should be no need for skin problems but I'm not a medical doctor so I don't know. I think your intestinal flora has a part to play there. I have personally never heard of any such thing.
The issue mentioned was due to an allergy. From personal experience skin problems and eruptions are usually related to certain foods and they disappear by eliminating those foods without supplementation, or even doing a particularly varied diet, even though I think I have a well rounded one within the limitations. In fact it is sometimes trying to consume foods I'm allergic because of their nutritional value that gets me into trouble. Some people work better with nutrients restriction ;) .

Last edited:
Allergies makes sense but this also for some people:

"I started to get small, tiny breakouts in areas of my face that are usually blemish-free, such as my forehead and upper lip," Cho explains in her blog, The Klog. "I do deal with hormonal acne from time to time, but it’s usually cystic and along my jawline. The pimples themselves looked and felt different from my usual breakouts." Cho attributed this to the fact that going vegan left her hungrier than usual and thus ignited her snacking habits. But instead of filling up on healthy plant-based proteins, she reached for processed, quick, "vegan-friendly" snacks, a common mistake made by newcomers to veganism, especially those just experimenting with it for a short period of time like Cho.

Brooke Alpert, MS, RD, CDN, confirms this reaction, saying, "Chances are, [if you're breaking out after going vegan], you replaced meat from your diet with more sugar or refined carbohydrates."

The Weird Thing That Can Happen to Your Skin When You Go Vegan

Reactions: fakei
Allergies makes sense but this also for some people:

"I started to get small, tiny breakouts in areas of my face that are usually blemish-free, such as my forehead and upper lip," Cho explains in her blog, The Klog. "I do deal with hormonal acne from time to time, but it’s usually cystic and along my jawline. The pimples themselves looked and felt different from my usual breakouts." Cho attributed this to the fact that going vegan left her hungrier than usual and thus ignited her snacking habits. But instead of filling up on healthy plant-based proteins, she reached for processed, quick, "vegan-friendly" snacks, a common mistake made by newcomers to veganism, especially those just experimenting with it for a short period of time like Cho.

Brooke Alpert, MS, RD, CDN, confirms this reaction, saying, "Chances are, [if you're breaking out after going vegan], you replaced meat from your diet with more sugar or refined carbohydrates."

The Weird Thing That Can Happen to Your Skin When You Go Vegan
That is very true and also include oils like olive oil. And not just regarding skin eruptions, also because olive oil restricts blood circulation and high fat consumption of any kind is associated with several diseases. Besides, consumption of alcohol, sugar and smoking are also related to depletion of minerals and vitamins in the body.

Reactions: Brian W