'Plants are trying to kill you`!-Dr Anthony Chaffee

Huh. Y'know that sounds logical.

I remember meeting an elderly woman who had to have a colonoscopy. Which means you have to get all of that poopy cleaned out. She had to take these fiber laxatives. She was really upset that she was pooping 3 or 4 times a day. She said it was disgusting and unhygienic. She said she would be really happy to go back to her "once a week poop".

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15
I remember meeting an elderly woman who had to have a colonoscopy. Which means you have to get all of that poopy cleaned out. She had to take these fiber laxatives. She was really upset that she was pooping 3 or 4 times a day. She said it was disgusting and unhygienic. She said she would be really happy to go back to her "once a week poop".
:hmm:
When I did the prep I expected to poop a lot, but I just **** out the liquid--over&over&over....
I wasn't allowed any fiber for like the last 4-5 days

:hmm:
When I did the prep I expected to poop a lot, but I just **** out the liquid--over&over&over....
I wasn't allowed any fiber for like the last 4-5 days

Apparently, she was really backed up in there. They had to do some really heavy duty laxatives before they did the liquid prep. She said that they had her doing a cleaning out for about a month before.

• Wow
Reactions: Lou
There are simply hundreds/thousands of species of plants that we can eat and many of the compounds in them, even those used for defence, can be beneficial for humans. Humans have always eaten plants
Problem is Graeme, now you're just talking sense :)

I don't have even the vaguest qualms about humans using and eating animals and it's not exactly clear to me why most vegans do
This is where we differ. I do have those qualms and it's not emotional. Survival notwithstanding, I believe for humans to evolve to the next level (god knows we need to) we must begin by not taking the lives of conscious beings. Without getting overly 'woo woo' ... we are all comprised of energy and it is the vibration of that energy which manifests itself as matter (our bodies).

The negative energies associated with needlessly causing the suffering and death of billions of sentient creatures is off the scale. This lower-vibration energy permeates our perceived reality and it manifests itself, often physically, in the human body. Hindus, Jains and others believe in Karma and Ahimsa feeds directly into that.

It's funny because I studied physics in school and always needed empirical proof of what we see around us but the more I've looked into the nature of consciousness and our perceived reality I'm starting to think my wife has been right all along! Everything in the universe is intrinsically linked ...

... in my opinion :eek:

I think that a very carefully planned plants-only diet *might* be healthy enough,
I don't think it has to be that carefully planned but learning more about nutrition really is essential to make veganism work long term.

The average person just does not worry about their nutrition to that degree
Hit the nail on the head there. To decide to be vegan takes some effort but when the motivation comes from a place of non-violence to others then the scale of the effort pales into insignificance really. It's the least we can do.

So even people eating an everyday omnivore diet often fail to get adequate nutrition. What's the odds they would do better on a plants only diet if they did NOT spend a lot of time learning how to do it?
Agreed and I think sub-optimal nutrition is common across the board, especially with the depleted state of the soils we grow our plants in. Meat eaters and dairy consumers don't need to be quite so concerned about their nutrition, sure. Because those are nutrient dense foods, mostly.

Without educating oneself a little on PBD then it's easy to run into problems, that's for sure. I mean, me and my family take our supps regularly ... just to be sure. 11 years in now and feeling pretty healthy on 100% plant-based.

it seems very hard to convince more people that a plant-based, vegan-friendly diet is the best. Or even second best
... and that's the reason places like this forum exist :sun:

Even, EVEN, when vegan wfpb diets come out the winner against omivore diets media STILL suggests eating meat fish and dairy, just in smaller amounts :bang::bsm:

Besides vegan media, the twin competition, where one eats vegan other eats omni and vegan by far wins out, every news site has recommended less animal products as the take away

Reactions: Rohan and PTree15
Even, EVEN, when vegan wfpb diets come out the winner against omivore diets media STILL suggests eating meat fish and dairy, just in smaller amounts :bang::bsm:

Besides vegan media, the twin competition, where one eats vegan other eats omni and vegan by far wins out, every news site has recommended less animal products as the take away

In defense of the media... I would like to bring up a couple of things.

1. making suggestions to people that you Know will not be listened to is just a waste of time. So maybe come up with some less good advice that is easier to follow.

2. Eating less animal products is still good advice - not the best but see #1

3. Going vegan is not for idiots. Most people are idiots. So maybe not such good advice.

4. If you are ignorant about nutrition, going all in could very well be dangerous. Well maybe not as dangerous and eating hamburgers and milk shakes. But advising people to eat fewer hamburgers seems to be the safer option.

I could probably list a another couple of talking points but I think they all tend to be variations of #1and $3

In defense of the media... I would like to bring up a couple of things.

1. making suggestions to people that you Know will not be listened to is just a waste of time. So maybe come up with some less good advice that is easier to follow.

2. Eating less animal products is still good advice - not the best but see #1

3. Going vegan is not for idiots. Most people are idiots. So maybe not such good advice.

4. If you are ignorant about nutrition, going all in could very well be dangerous. Well maybe not as dangerous and eating hamburgers and milk shakes. But advising people to eat fewer hamburgers seems to be the safer option.

I could probably list a another couple of talking points but I think they all tend to be variations of #1and $3
1. I'm speaking of news reporting not talking to your best friend. When research repeatedly proves plant based diets are better and then pretty much dismissed by the media as unattainable that carries more weight than the research itself. They're not reporting that no animal products is best, but making the case it's better to just cut back

2. Of course it is, but it's like a dentist telling you to brush your teeth, and flossing is a good so do it when you feel like it, then you wonder why you keep getting bleeding gums 🙄

3. Going plant based is hardly rocket science, there is as many resources for vegan nutrition as there are for those eating animal products. People are simply used to the nutritional deficits from meat and dairy filled diets, as well as the diseases that accompany them

4. I'm not saying it isn't better to cut back rather than nothing, but when research has proven it's case it should not be dismissed, and that is what i continually see happen.

this is how every news site I've read reporting on the twin vegan vs omni study. They admit the findings improved the health of every vegan in the study, but rather than focus on the findings they suggest eliminating red meat, or incorporating more beans, which is fine, but when research is that strong I would expect at least some focus on achieving those goals, not dismissing them as if they're flawed.
Reminds me of when covid first surfaced and we were all told not to were masks - cause you know, we wouldn't wear them anyway. How well did that play out?

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I really haven't had a problem with planning meals. I even use regular cookbooks because most recipes can be easily converted to a vegan alternative. Chicken TiKka Masala becomes Chickpea Tikka Masala. Chicken Soup becomes Vegetable Soup with Chickpeas or Cannellini beans. Chicken on a salad becomes Chickpeas or Black Beans on a salad. Tofu, seitan, mushrooms, tempeh, soy curls, or beans all work well in replacing meat in dishes.

Blended cannellini beans make a great cream soup. Nooch is incredible.

Admittedly, chunks of meat like roasts and steaks can't be easily replaced, but there are enough other things that I wouldn't miss it. (Although, Derek Sarno has been doing some great stuff with Oyster mushrooms).

Just made a big pot of Harira the other day, and they said it was traditionally made with lamb, but the recipe said it was fine without; and it was really good without the meat.

I saw a seafood breading mix on clearance, and it worked just fine with Tofu.

A bag of beans, package of mushrooms, or tofu; and I'm doing just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou