News Plant Based/Vegan

View attachment 30080

“Tens of millions of people in the UK eat factory farmed animals but very few are happy to look at them dead, see how they are farmed or witness how they are killed,” Viva! Campaigns’ Director and leading vegan advocate Juliet Gellatley said in a statement. “This stunt serves as a reminder that the beef burger you order or the bacon sandwich you cook isn’t a faceless ingredient; it comes from a living creature that experienced similar emotions to your beloved pets.”
A very powerful image. I've always found it strange how we differentiate between which animals are food and which are pets. Obviously that depends on the culture and country!

"A vegan chef has made it to the national finals of the BBC’s Great British Menu, stunning judges with his plant-based creations.

Kirk Haworth won the north west England heat last week. He secured his place in the finals with a vegan lasagna, a “fish” dish, and a dessert judges called “phenomenal.”

Haworth, co-founder of vegan restaurant Plates in London, is the first plant-based chef to compete on the programme. His 38/40 score in this round of the competition is the joint-highest in the history of the Great British Menu regionals.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I'm gobsmacked at what the target audience would be! Not those vegan for animals, not those plant based for health. All this time folks could simply add what meaty bits they like, and it's not as if anyone were unwillingly subjected to plant based foods. Heck, soooo many foods already get labeled "plant forward" or like 'plant powered' that contain meat :iiam:.
If you ask me,, this is just another way for companies to say vegan foods aren't selling :shrug:.

If I find I need something to make a 'too healthy' tasting dish more palatable I reach for those canned fried onions, or soy based bac'n bits.
Adding animal fat would only make plant foods disgusting.

Moreover, it only serves to say plant based foods don't appeal, rather than make plant based foods appealing! :ignore:

Honestly, there are only a few premade vegan foods I really like, the others go too far to be like meat.
Beyond and Impossible do a great job on sausage already,, and I know many omnivores who prefer them to meat. Better not screw with those!

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
1710601521461.png1710601553263.png
A heritage board has been finally put up in Leicester to commemorate the coining of the word ‘Vegan’ and consequently the birth of the Vegan Society
🥳

The board has been put up on Evesham Road (off Narborough Road). The council have been previously working with local activists within the Leicester Vegetarian and Vegan Group to understand the historic background when in 1944 the word ‘Vegan’ was coined by Donald Watson and his wife-to-be, Dorothy Morgan whilst living at Evesham Road.
In November 1944 Donald Watson and five others, who were then called 'non-dairy vegetarians', met to discuss their dietary and ethical choices. This resulted in the founding of an organisation which later became The Vegan Society. No one else volunteered so Donald took the positions of secretary, treasurer and auditor of the group.
Donald Watson was born in Mexborough in Yorkshire in 1910, the son of a headmaster. After watching the slaughter of a pig on his uncle’s farm when he was 14, he became a vegetarian, making a New Year's resolution to not eat meat. Watson left school at 15 and worked as an apprentice carpenter. He moved to Leicester to become a woodwork teacher and was an active member of the Leicester branch of the Vegetarian Society. After learning about milk and egg production he started eating a vegan diet. He wrote that ‘If we are to be true emancipators of animals we must renounce absolutely our traditional and conceited attitude that we have the right to use them to serve our needs’.
The heritage board serves as a great way for all generations to remember and be inspired from this historic moment in 1944 that contributed to shaping the foundation of the Vegan philosophy

fbclid=IwAR1qPflX4hxi1fgQO3XzZoq7IYfl2ZXyQ38fSBA7RpfTUZ2dvi9rVr61ML8

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15