News Plant Based/Vegan

Danone pledged in 2018 that it would triple its sales in the plant-based space to 5 billion euros — about $5.7 billion — by 2025. Danone had a 41% market share in plant-based offerings through the third quarter of 2020, according to IRI data. The acquisition of Follow Your Heart helps bolster the company's plant-based portfolio, which also includes brands Silk and So Delicious.

I've just received an e mail from the biggest online vegan site UMV :

''We know that many of you like this brand.
(I personally loved soy-free mayo),
but UMV will not be able to continue to market this brand
further to this takeover by an infamous multinational company
by his empire based on animal exploitation.''

Danone pledged in 2018 that it would triple its sales in the plant-based space to 5 billion euros — about $5.7 billion — by 2025. Danone had a 41% market share in plant-based offerings through the third quarter of 2020, according to IRI data. The acquisition of Follow Your Heart helps bolster the company's plant-based portfolio, which also includes brands Silk and So Delicious.

but UMV will not be able to continue to market this brand.
following this takeover by an infamous multinational company
This is So disappointing!
Follow your Heart is my favourite mayo brand and their cheeze is really good too...
Obviously the Big dairy companies see that plant based products are the future...
It felt So good to support a fully Vegan company...
It might help promote the brand and get it out to more people, but it feels sad to me...

but UMV will not be able to continue to market this brand
further to this takeover by an infamous multinational company
UMV? I can't figure that one out!

It is sad that FYH has been taken over--I would have hoped that company would have quite the growth as an all plant based company!
It's also good to know the mega-players are seeing the profit in promoting them.....

I know the US congress is interested in breaking up monopolies. There is some interest in Big Food. Something like 60% of our groceries comes from just 4 companies and 80% from the top ten.

One thing that the article stated and might be reassuring is that there is lilttle overlap with FYH and the other divisions of Danone. So its unlikely that some products will be discontinued.

Reactions: 1956
There is a good post on Plant Based News.org by Dr. Alex Lockwood about Nestle and the new Vegan KitKat bar.
I don’t know how to post links.
Could someone please post it for me?

There is a good post on Plant Based News.org by Dr. Alex Lockwood about Nestle and the new Vegan KitKat bar.
I don’t know how to post links.
Could someone please post it for me?

I didn't think it was a good article. It said a lot about animals and nothing about the babies that Nestle are guilty of starvng to death. In valuing animals we should not neglect people.

Reactions: silva
I didn't think it was a good article. It said a lot about animals and nothing about the babies that Nestle are guilty of starvng to death. In valuing animals we should not neglect people.
Sorry but, I disagree.
Did you read the entire article? He did speak about Nestle and the milk problem.
He did say that we should value people as well as animals.
At the end he also said that he would not be buying the Vegan Kit Kat.
If you really read the entire article I am Very surprised at how you feel...

Reactions: Lou
I didn't think it was a good article. I
I thought it was a good article. I thought the author handled the ethical dilemma well.
t said a lot about animals and nothing about the babies that Nestle are guilty of starvng to death.
What babies?
In valuing animals we should not neglect people.
I did find it strange that the author neglected the whole Nestle/chocolate controversy.
As far as I know, even after years of political and economic pressure, Nestle still exploits the people in West Africa who do the harvesting and processing of chocolate.

Since Kit Kat bars are made of chocolate shouldn't we eschew them for chocolate that is ethically sourced?

Reactions: 1956
That article did discuss Nestles human violations more than anything!
What gets me is no mention of Sweet Earth vegan frozen foods that owned by Nestle. Nestle owns so much!

I thought it was a good article. I thought the author handled the ethical dilemma well.

What babies?

I did find it strange that the author neglected the whole Nestle/chocolate controversy.
As far as I know, even after years of political and economic pressure, Nestle still exploits the people in West Africa who do the harvesting and processing of chocolate.

Since Kit Kat bars are made of chocolate shouldn't we eschew them for chocolate that is ethically sourced?
The babies I think that he is talking about are in relation to the powered milk scandal many years ago. I have been boycotting Nestle for about 25 years which is when I first heard about the milk issues.

That article did discuss Nestles human violations more than anything!
What gets me is no mention of Sweet Earth vegan frozen foods that owned by Nestle. Nestle owns so much!
I am not familiar with the Sweet earth foods.
For Plant Based News that was a Long article,I would imagine that he didn’t want to go into lots more issues.
Yes, Nestle owns Way too much!

I actually have a Vegan friend who has gone to work for them in Germany creating Vegan food. It was a Really difficult decision for her to go to work for them. She is a food scientist just turned 30 just married and was offered a job with them,I doubt that she will stay long with them but, she is hoping to make change from within. When she left Cork we wished her well and said that we were sorry that we wouldn’t be able to eat what she created because all of her friends here also boycott Nestle!

There’s the baby milk scandal of the 1970s. There have been accusations of child labor, unethical water mining, deforestation, and bailing on Fairtrade farmers.

There’s the ongoing American water scandal, where Nestlé has tried to buy water, bottle it, and sell it back to people on the land that is now dry. This is so serious it has reached the US congress. Remember, too, Nestlé is one of the world’s biggest plastic polluters.

There was also the attempt to trademark the phrase ‘vegan butcher’ for its new plant-based US brand Sweet Earth Foods. Nestlé lost that case, thanks to a challenge from The Herbivorous Butcher to keep the phrase available to all. Nestlé also tried to use the Impossible Burger’s trademark. It lost that case too.

But it isn’t the worst offender. For MarketWatch and the charity Oxfam, Nestlé often comes out best for taking action on major issues within global food supply chains.

In Oxfam’s Behind the Brands report, it received the highest scores for addressing transparency, water use, and climate change of any major food company. Companies such as Kellogg’s and PepsiCo came out worse.

So if you’re boycotting Nestlé, you really need to boycott every major food corporation and the companies they own. Does that include the vegan ones, such as Oatly, now with major investment from profiteers Blackstone?

Intersectional Lives Matter​

The KitKat and me have history. If you grew up in Croydon, like I did, you would know the huge Nestlé headquarters. You’d know someone who worked there too.....

From the article
I'd forgotten about Oxfams behind the brands