Planet of the Humans

I viewed ,sure there were debatable points about it ,so what . Noticed some groups were trying to get it banned because it was :dangerous:
Oh please 🙄 give me a break

I heard about it a few weeks ago.

It is being praised by the far right and harshly crtiticized by climate scientists for wrong information.

Fans of Moore have tried to apologize for him saying he was only the executive producer, only lending his name to the project so it could get funding.

However, Moore has been actively promoting the video.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, China consumes about 42% more energy than the United States (even though China's population is over 400% that of the United States: China vs. E.U. vs U.S. vs. Japan: Population and GDP Comparison - Worldometer ).

1588435094044.png

According to the International Energy Agency, China's energy policy includes (1) neither a reduction nor an increase in coal consumption, (2) very large increase in renewable energy: World Energy Outlook 2017: China – Analysis - IEA . Because China has the largest population of any nation, their future energy policy will, to a huge degree, determine the future of climate change policy.

1588435539350.png

Attachments

• 1588435397450.png
    1588435397450.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
Yes, watched it today.

Take away message: Humans are cancer to earth. We must depopulate or change how we live (unspecified). But really we must just depopulate or largely vanish so the earth can thrive.

Supported evidence includes: Capitalism (by which is implied corporatism or crony capitalism, nor normal capitalism)
Embracing death is inspiring - intellectual sounding man
Elephant poo doesn't power much
Green energy is a pipe dream. See this array of solar panels? They're good enough to power a toaster.
Coal is somehow necessary to produce ethanol (*rolls eyes*)
Slow growing trees are the only plants worth burning for energy
....and best when they're wet/green for best net energy waste
The only viable solutions are solar panels and wind which aren't viable
Natural Gas is somehow a fossil fuel and not renewable (remember this next time you pass gas as a vegan)

....and on and on. It's depressing, mixes fact with half truth, and of course leaves out a fair bit of alt energy that rarely enters the public discussion.

About halfway to 3 quarters of the way through the doco I had to take a break and do a sing along to :

...while laughing maniacally.

Last edited:

Will it be promoted in corporate media? Not likely. It's not a "top down" solution, it doesn't employ anyone, and it's not something profit seekers/monopolists would be interested in. It's just one of many solutions that you'd otherwise never hear about for these reasons, and one
that won't make it into popular documentaries. It doesn't even require rural/semi-rural or suburban living. Cities could adopt a variant of it and use it. Is it the solution to *all* our energy "needs"? Nope, but it could be used with other technologies to help fill the gap. If we moved away from plastics, or to biodegradable plastics, even more so.

Last edited:
I started watching and got about two-thirds in. I didn't finish, as the message I got was that we need to get rid of a lot of people for the planet to survive. Not a message I was keen on, lol.

sounds like some depopulation propaganda from the elite using Michael Moore as their messenger boy. they are always saying there are too many of the common people ( yet the elite themselves often have large families so it is ok for them i guess.)

Just saw an interview with the supposed "big bio mass guy" that this documentary was exposing. Turns out the bio fuel pusher (and starter of 350.org) has only ever spoken at a small bio mass plant that opened on the campus he worked at. He himself had been against bio mass for years, but Moore painted him as some sort of elite. Also, his data on the cost of solar being so far off base, that I guess I will skip (yet an other) Michael Moore production. I know there is eco profiteering going on, but not like Moore presents it.
Too bad people will believe that drivel and stop investing in clean and renewable energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie in Chile

Will it be promoted in corporate media? Not likely. It's not a "top down" solution, it doesn't employ anyone, and it's not something profit seekers/monopolists would be interested in. It's just one of many solutions that you'd otherwise never hear about for these reasons, and one
that won't make it into popular documentaries. It doesn't even require rural/semi-rural or suburban living. Cities could adopt a variant of it and use it. Is it the solution to *all* our energy "needs"? Nope, but it could be used with other technologies to help fill the gap. If we moved away from plastics, or to biodegradable plastics, even more so.

I have been binge watching stuff on biogas generators (more-so some of the more creative storage methods, focusing on bagless) for awhile now. Very impressive and simple stuff, that will certainly be incorporated in to any future building plans (fingers crossed).

I have been binge watching stuff on biogas generators (more-so some of the more creative storage methods, focusing on bagless) for awhile now. Very impressive and simple stuff, that will certainly be incorporated in to any future building plans (fingers crossed).

Built one yet? I have a small unit that I am testing out just to see what kind of gas quality I can get from it using basic materials. This weekend I plan to build one with an actual feed tube and expeller (another small unit). Should this be successful, then I'll move on to something bigger.

Reactions: Emma JC and Blues
have not watched it saw reviews of people that have and since he never mentions the word vegan or any vegan issues the fat slob corpse muncher will not get a dollar from me to watch him bashing ecological energy businesses with his wall street paranoias

Built one yet? I have a small unit that I am testing out just to see what kind of gas quality I can get from it using basic materials. This weekend I plan to build one with an actual feed tube and expeller (another small unit). Should this be successful, then I'll move on to something bigger.

I haven't tried to build one yet, I am still trying to find out what the best (non animal based) seeder is for it. I doubt human waste would be a good option, but it may be fine as some of the commercial bio gas systems can be hooked up to a toilet. How did your experiment go? Were you able to measure the CH4 to CO2 ratios? Did you run the gas through water to scrub the CO2? I will start experimenting sometime soonish, maybe if I get this land I have been eyeballing I could have something full sized operational by fall...

I haven't tried to build one yet, I am still trying to find out what the best (non animal based) seeder is for it. I doubt human waste would be a good option, but it may be fine as some of the commercial bio gas systems can be hooked up to a toilet. How did your experiment go? Were you able to measure the CH4 to CO2 ratios? Did you run the gas through water to scrub the CO2? I will start experimenting sometime soonish, maybe if I get this land I have been eyeballing I could have something full sized operational by fall...

My "experiment" actually started with the first unit over a year ago (this is a different design than the video). I set it up and watched it (fail) to produce gas. Then I got sidetracked and left it.

Here are some of the things I learned:

- Removing the schrader valve on an inner tube or other tube is important. I used a bicycle tire tube and a pump hose (from a bicycle tire pump) to connect. This turned out to be a mistake as it works on higher pressure. Removing the schrader valve on the tube(the top of which is a small cylinder inside the valve itself) allows for low pressure gas to flow. Mistake one.

- The unit sat in the garage and didn't get enough heat (especially important in winter). It needs to be painted black to absorb the sun or otherwise insulated to keep warm to keep the bacteria active.

- The unit wasn't completely air tight (oxygen will kill anaerobic bacteria)

- The unit didn't completely block out the sun (UV light will kill anaerobic bacteria)

All these aspects are fixed now and I hope to get gas from it (however, it is cooler now here in Aus, so we'll see).

The second unit is (nearly) completely finished, although there are a few things to tinker with and even if all goes well I don't expect to get gas in this weather for at least a month starting from go.

I encourage you to build your own small units first. If you don't make mistakes, great. If you do, at least it won't be on a larger unit.

Scrubbing of CO2 and Hydrogen Sulfide are later steps. This has to be done to facilitate pressurization and avoid metal corrosion that comes with straight biogas. Steps to be taken after producing gas.

Btw, if anyone wants to produce biogas without going to the trouble of building even a small biogas plant, here's something you can try:

Take a glass jar with screw top seal-able lid. Put common grass clippings in it. With the clippings inside, fill it about 3/4 of the way full with water. You don't need to add any innoculant (such as dung/waste). Seal it so no air can come in. The bacteria will arise on their own.

Each day, (with the lid on/sealed), swirl it just a little and open the lid only very briefly before sealing up again. Do this twice to 3 times a day but no more.

Keep it in a dark place and do not expose to direct UV light/sunlight.

After several days (most likely variable, depending on material used, temp etc) when you swirl the glass you'll see bubbles resting on top of the water. Ready a flame lighter (before opening lid) and as soon as lid is open put the flame near the water. The gas will be ignited and a blue flame will engulf the top of the jar for a second or two.

This is not theoretical. I did it this morning using this exact method with the grass clippings being in there for the better part of a week and swirling/briefly opening/closing 2-3 times a day.

In order to make a biogas generator work, you need to have access to a large supply of organic waste (manure or other).

Per this report from the University of Missouri (USA), in order to operate a gas-fueled stovetop for 2 hours each day, you would need to have a daily manure supply from 77 pigs or 11 cows (or from another, energy-equivalent source): Generating Methane Gas From Manure .

In order to make a biogas generator work, you need to have access to a large supply of organic waste (manure or other).

Per this report from the University of Missouri (USA), in order to operate a gas-fueled stovetop for 2 hours each day, you would need to have a daily manure supply from 77 pigs or 11 cows (or from another, energy-equivalent source): Generating Methane Gas From Manure .

I wonder where those numbers come from. The data I've looked at from multiple sources uses a lot less manure (if that's the feedstock to be used) for gas production. Besides, manure isn't the only thing that can be made into biogas. Just about anything that biodegrades can. Grass, for example. Kitchen scraps. Wood. Paper. Just about any vegetable matter. Fat (animal or vegetable derived) is much more energy dense and also as a consequence produces more biogas.

This is tech that used to be used by the West until the Rockefeller monopoly basically took over, but it has been (and still is) used in places like India and China for over 200 years, either on a community scale or just for a small family. It's also used in Africa. If it were so nonviable for the average person without 77 pigs or 11 cows, it wouldn't be used, now would it?

I thought the doco must have been a work in progress for some years as it presents some old data. This is where a lot of criticism focuses, however I think the broad case is correct. The bottom line for me is twofold - first that renewables (if by this we mean wind and solar primarily) is extremely unlikely to power the world any time soon AND it is extremely environmentally damaging to attempt to do so, and second that we have too many people trying to live too well. The only way to keep on producing more people is to substantially scale back on material wealth. Again, this is very unlikely any time soon. To be honest, I think the best mechanism currently in place to limit resource exhaustion is capitalism.