Planet of the Humans

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone watched this new documentary? It sure seems to be stirring up a lot of controversy.

• Sad
Reactions: Val
I heard about it weeks ago and then promptly forgot all about it.
Thanks for bringing it up.
I will watch it tonight and get back to you.
(I've seen most of Michael Moores stuff - but not all - I should watch the ones I haven't seen, too. Might be a good goal for May.)

I watched it. It's very disappointing. Not the movie, but the information it delivers. It made me think about environmental causes in a whole new, much more skeptical way. No power source is perfect (or apparently sustainable/renewable/or even clean) and I'm now convinced that the only way this planet is ever going to survive is if we somehow learn to live using far less power - which we won't, so we're doomed.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I watched it. It's very disappointing. Not the movie, but the information it delivers. It made me think about environmental causes in a whole new, much more skeptical way. No power source is perfect (or apparently sustainable/renewable/or even clean) and I'm now convinced that the only way this planet is ever going to survive is if we somehow learn to live using far less power - which we won't, so we're doomed.

We are learning to live with less power. We have cars, appliances, lighting and electronics now that use much less fuel/electricity than these used 40 years ago. There is tremendous engineering effort going into this. In my own career, I’ve been working on this stuff for 25 years.

Reactions: silva and Lou
Like they said in the documentary, over population has made a huge impact on the planet and its resources. The rate of growth was mind boggling. If people could only naturally do controlled birth limits, per family unit, but even just saying that sounds ridiculous.

It makes you wonder if viruses like covid-19 are deliberately released just for that very purpose. I really hate conspiracy theories, but all this covid stuff has made people a lot more suspicious. The truth is out there, but good luck finding it. That's the hard part. I'm still not even really sure how to take this documentary yet. It certainly gives you a lot to think about.

I don't think you have to think of conspiracy theories. (well not for longer than a minute)

When I was in college, (and for the life of me I can't remember what class this was), we studied Population Dynamics. It's tempting to use human attributes to describe natural phenomena. Like when we say atoms want to form stable molecules or electricity finds the path of least resistance. In population dynamics, we learned that populations want to find a balance - equilibrium.

If a prey animal's population gets too large, starvation, predators, or disease will reduce their numbers. If a predator's population gets too high they die because they can't find enough food.

A good part of the class was studying how human meddling always seems to f*¢k these things up.

So what happens when you introduce a new disease into a densely populated area and then add air travel?

There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of diseases that have higher fatality rates. What makes Covid-19 so dangerous is its long incubation period. (I think only measles is higher). And that it is basically transmitted through the air.

Back in the day, a carrier could maybe only get to the next town before becoming symptomatic. Now he can entirely switch countries. And if he can infect 2 people on his way - the disease increases exponentially.

This wasn't deliberate. It was inevitable.

well, if you @David3 and you @Lou both think it is worthwhile then I will watch it.... I have been disappointed with Michael Moore recently and so I don't wish to be more disappointed ....

Emma JC

well, if you @David3 and you @Lou both think it is worthwhile then I will watch it.... I have been disappointed with Michael Moore recently and so I don't wish to be more disappointed ....

Emma JC

You'll be disappointed again. Worldwide climate change groups are denouncing the movie as crap. Nevertheless, I'm obligated to watch it, to see which aspects are true and which are false. I'm not looking forward to it.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC

Emma JC

It is a Mike Moore production, but it is directed by Jeff Gibbs and not narrated by Michael. It is informative, and worth watching, in my humble opinion. As I mentioned previously, I'm still not sure where I am at with it, but lets just say I am not convinced that everything they're saying is entirely factual. It does however give you a lot to think about. At least for me, things I had not considered before.

We are learning to live with less power. We have cars, appliances, lighting and electronics now that use much less fuel/electricity than these used 40 years ago. There is tremendous engineering effort going into this. In my own career, I’ve been working on this stuff for 25 years.

Please, if you watch it, let me know where it is wrong. I don't know enough about the subject to speak about it intelligently, but I came away with the impression that we're still using more and more power - and the steps we try to make toward using less are just a drop in the bucket. The amount of forests we're burning to fuel electric power plants is horrific. They say its renewable, but the devastation lasts a long time.

Reactions: Veganite
Please, if you watch it, let me know where it is wrong. I don't know enough about the subject to speak about it intelligently, but I came away with the impression that we're still using more and more power - and the steps we try to make toward using less are just a drop in the bucket. The amount of forests we're burning to fuel electric power plants is horrific. They say its renewable, but the devastation lasts a long time.

In 2019, biomass (which includes wood) supplied only 1% of the United States' electricity: Electricity in the U.S. - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

This information is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration, an office of the federal government. I have read through this website extensively. It doesn't promote one energy source over another. Rather, it presents energy data.

1588387195767.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Poppy
Worldwide, biofuels and waste (including wood) supply about 10% of the world's total energy use (including electricity, transportation, cooking, heating, etc.): Data & Statistics - IEA . This is according to the International Energy Agency.

1588385333125.png

Worldwide, the percentage of electricity from wood is so tiny that it doesn't even show on the graph. Numerically, wood/biomass supplies about 0.4% of worldwide electricity generation

1588385467833.png

According to NASA, the single largest cause of tropical deforestation is agricultural expansion - clearing trees for pasture and crop land: Tropical Deforestation

We should remember that Michael Moore's films are propaganda. Rather than presenting objective data, he shows shocking video of specific disasters. These disasters don't necessarily describe the worldwide state of things.

Last edited:
Yes, worldwide power consumption continues to climb. The challenge is to transition to renewable energy, and to use that energy more efficiently. The growing world population makes this increasingly difficult.

Certain regions of the world are rapidly transitioning to renewable energy. Other regions of the world have not (yet?) done so.

Worldwide, bioenergy-(including wood) generated electricity is not expected to dominate renewable energy generation. Rather, the largest renewable energy growth will be contributed by solar PV (solar panels) and onshore wind turbines: Renewables 2019 – Analysis - IEA . This is according to the International Energy Agency.

1588386738090.png

Last edited: