Photographer tells story of doomed shelter dogs

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Photographer Tou Chih-kang has been recording the last moments of canines at the Taoyuan Animal Shelter in Taiwan for two years. He has captured the images of some 400 dogs, most of which were pets abandoned by their owners. To him the work is distressing, but he's trying to spread a message of responsibility.
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/photographer-s-crusade-to-save-doomed-shelter-dogs-slideshow/

I know he is trying to help them in his own way, but wouldn't it be more helpful to also take and display pictures of dogs who have some time left to be adopted? Hmmm.....I wonder if they aren't allowed to be adopted once they are captured and brought to that place. Anyway, it is nice that he is willing to at least do something.

Here's a link to some of the photographs if you want to see them. They are on his FB page, so you may need a FB account to view them.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150924810071935.417592.639921934&type=3

Some background information on what he is doing. http://news.yahoo.com/taiwan-photographers-crusade-doomed-shelter-dogs-051905318.html

I do cross posting and share death row cats and dogs for several shelters on facebook every night.There are a lot of great people out there working hard to get them adopted and into foster homes. The numbers are overwhelming. It's heartbreaking to see those beautiful faces,night after night. The hardest part is checking back in a day or two. Some days,there's great news and on others I cry. It's infuriating to see so many loveable perfectly healthy cats and dogs die through no fault of their own. Occasionally I have to take a break because depression sinks in big time. So sad and most of all frustrating because it's never ending...

I can't look at the photos, but I'm glad he's doing it - if he makes even one person stop and think....

I know he is trying to help them in his own way, but wouldn't it be more helpful to also take and display pictures of dogs who have some time left to be adopted? Hmmm.....I wonder if they aren't allowed to be adopted once they are captured and brought to that place. Anyway, it is nice that he is willing to at least do something.

I don't know, I think that's kinda missing the point. There's lots of places you can see pictures of dogs you can adopt, but by taking lots of pictures of dogs who have been put down, I think it brings home the issue that irresponsibility with pets ends in animals being killed. It seems obvious but I think the link between breeding/irresponsible ownership/not neutering animals/etc and the fact that so many healthy animals are put down just isn't made for people. I think awareness for that is really good, most people buy pets and just don't consider what it means for a population of pets where so many are put down or in shelters because there are more pets than homes.

It's easy to see a picture of an animal and it says "this dog has a week or it will be put down" and think "oh well hopefully he gets adopted and lives a happy life" and move on, but seeing the animals that were put down prevents you from doing that, it makes you think - wait why is this cute little pupping being killed? Why doesn't he have a home? Most people I speak to think all dogs in rescues have problems, are aggressive, are mixed breads/mutts, are old, are sick, and are basically not ideal pets. I think a lot of people would be surprised to see cute puppies in that situation, certainly most people I speak to are surprised to learn there are lots of pure-bread dogs, young dogs and well behaved dogs in rescue centres.