PETA Urges Vegans Not to Demand Separate Cooking Equipment

In some cases I can agree, but I've already had fishy tasting fries.....my complaint has nothing to do with being veg
Why wouldn't people in general criticize KFC for making a show of having plant based chicken cooked in the same oil as chicken? It makes no sense to ANYONE. It's not a healthful choice, it's not an ethical choice because vegans don't want that taste. What happens? KFC declares it a failure and proclaims there's no market for vegan foods 🙄
Same with Pizza Hut when they had Beyond Sausage. the price was way higher than other pizzas, and it didn't qualify for any special prices. They still have a policy, by me at least, of not willing to sub another topping if you don't want cheese! I;m sure they will also say "no market for vegan items"

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and EllieW
Makes sense. How does cross contamination or the lack of it help animals?
Also I can't see how it ruins your health.

I liken this attitute from PETA as giving expired foods to a food pantry, passing it off as still good, and should be appreciated 🙄
Or finding out the grill at a BBQ party hadn't ever cleaned, and the host gets all pissy hearing complaints 🙄

The term "cross contamination" can mean anything from 'shared equipment', which is a legal disclaimer for allergies, to meaning food is actually cooked on the same grill, or in in the same oil. That is a very different situation, and that's what I assumed PETA is referring to here, thinking of KFC's plant based chik;n that isn't vegetarian because it's cooked in chicken oil

If it's referring to the legal disclaimer of equipment that's cleaned between uses, then I certainly agree!

• Agree
Reactions: EllieW
Doesn't anyone see the irony of such a request coming from PETA?

In other words, PETA is all about in-your-face antics and outrage...yet they're asking people to chill?...
I think PETA tends to always go back to the idea of not exploiting animals. I agree with the idea that there is more benefit to animals if vegans don't make it harder for restaurants to serve plant based foods.

Reactions: KLS52
If they're not comfortable with it then that's a good enough reason to avoid it

I'd like clarification on what they're calling 'cross contamination'.
Made in a facility on shared equipment, or, contaminated with animal foods? that's a big difference!
May contain (because of shared equipment cleaned between uses) is different than does contain.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieW and PTree15
I think this has something to do with kfc cooking their beyond meat in the same oil, based on the timing of stuff. It is understandable why someone wouldn't want their veg products coated in animal products.

Last edited:
They can suggest anything, but make up my own mind. I used to go out to eat with friends, and found
brown bits of yuck in my steamed vegetables, It happened twice and I stopped eating out with them.
If i go out in a meat-serving restaurant I am forced to smell the dead animals someone else is chewing
and swallowing, and to watch them consume it. It is disgusting to me, but others may not mind. Another
issue is what goes on in the kitchen. Restaurants make meals fast and do not care if they cook my meal
in the same pot as the dead bird, or use the knife or cutting board used to slice the cow to cut my veggies.
No thank you Peta. I choose to shun any restaurant that serves dead animals.

I fought with myself about getting KFC today! I checked their website to see if it was available here, and found that it is, and can be ordered online. I looked at the picture though, and it really looks like any other nugget I buy. I thought about why I haven't gotten fries from restaurants because they taste like bad oil (except for Five Guys).
Anyway, ironically enough I dropped my car off at my mechanic and drove past it! They didn't even have have a sign about it.
Now if Popeyes ever gets a plant based thing, I'm pretty sure I'll get it!

KFC just really has one the worst reputations- in fact it was in D.C. that I cried in front of PETA banner about KFC and their treatment of chickens

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou