Persimmon/Sharon Fruit

The hachiyas when underripe have tannins. I would describe it as making your mouth implode more than slight bitter taste. They make your tongue numb and kind make you feel like you are on drugs, or dying. But when they are ripe they are fantastic! The fuyus you can eat at any stage of firmness/ripeness.

And for the hachiyas the ripeness I look for is the consistency of pudding, just the skin holding the whole thing together. Way riper than most people think is reasonable.
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

The flat ones that look kind of like a pumpkin are the ones you can eat any time. The acorn shaped ones are the ones that have to be super ripe. Just think of acorns and how inedible they are, and wait until those ones are very ripe.

Reactions: PTree15
I love Sharon fruit! But in the UK they are always hard and super under-ripe in the supermarkets :confused:. I remember eating my first on in France as a teenager, it was as soft as a tomato and mmmmmmmm it started a long love affair. I've never put them in cooked dishes, probably because they're expensive in the UK, I only use cheap fruit/abundant fruit for cooking because otherwise it seems like a waste.

I've never tried persimmon fruit. Sounds delicious though, the non tongue stinging ones anyways. I'm going to check my local stores to see if they carry them.

00092224.jpg

Persimmon/sharon fruit tart.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52