Persimmon/Sharon Fruit

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Persimmons are in season and they are one of my favourite fruits. I prefer to eat them raw however I have tried different recipes ; persimmon pudding, cake which all taste delicious.
They pair well with bananas and kiwis in a fruit salad. You can also make a brown rice savoury salad with slices of persimmon fruit and nuts.

Persimmons are quite low in calories but very high in fibre.

persimmon4.jpg

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/persimmon-fruit.html

I love them! It's my favorite season when it's around (they are all my favorite seasons during their seasons...) I'm happy it's persimmon time again! I've been eating the hachiya, but haven't found fuyus yet. Soon, I hope...

;)
I love them! It's my favorite season when it's around (they are all my favorite seasons during their seasons...) I'm happy it's persimmon time again! I've been eating the hachiya, but haven't found fuyus yet. Soon, I hope...

That's right ! When I see persimmons I know that Halloween is just around the corner.

I confess to having never had a persimmon. What does it taste like? That dessert looks yummy!

I confess to having never had a persimmon. What does it taste like? That dessert looks yummy!

It is sweet and the flesh is more like a mango rather than a peach. I really can't describe the taste as it doesn't have a strong distinc one.
I find that I feel much perkier and sort of energized when I have one.

It is sweet and the flesh is more like a mango rather than a peach. I really can't describe the taste as it doesn't have a strong distinc one.
I find that I feel much perkier and sort of energized when I have one.
Mmmm, they sound delicious!

:)
I think they taste like vanilla custard, but in fruit form, so fresher tasting. They even have little brown flecks that are strongly reminiscent of vanilla bean seeds.

Vanilla custard is a nice description. I'll remember that next time I have one.

I don't like mangoes but I like vanilla custard. I will have to try one if I see it in my supermarket.

I don't like mangoes but I like vanilla custard. I will have to try one if I see it in my supermarket.

Make sure it is ripe before you eat it if not it is has a slight bitter taste. It doens't taste like a mango but the flesh has a similar slimy texture.

Reactions: KLS52
Make sure it is ripe before you eat it if not it is has a slight bitter taste. It doens't taste like a mango but the flesh has a similar slimy texture.

The hachiyas when underripe have tannins. I would describe it as making your mouth implode more than slight bitter taste. They make your tongue numb and kind make you feel like you are on drugs, or dying. But when they are ripe they are fantastic! The fuyus you can eat at any stage of firmness/ripeness.

And for the hachiyas the ripeness I look for is the consistency of pudding, just the skin holding the whole thing together. Way riper than most people think is reasonable.

I always freeze up when I see them in the store, as I keep forgetting which ones are meant to be eaten super-ripe, and which ones can be eaten any time.

I have had the ones that should be super-ripe. I bought them and left them on my counter until the skin went translucent. Carefully cut the top off and scoop out the soft flesh with a spoon. Yummmmm.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
One place I lived had a persimmon tree. I had no idea what they were (neither did any of the other tenants), but the tree was full of fruit. So, we tried one which was apparently not quite ripe. My tongue felt like it had this thick, horrible fuzzy coat on it, and nothing would make it go away. Needless to say, none of us ever ate any of them after that. Sadly, all the fruit went to waste.