Music Pap music of the 80's

How should Stock, Aitken & Waterman be executed?

• Burned at the stake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torn apart by wild horses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clueless Git

Plant powered
Reaction score
So, I just purchased "100 greatest pop hits of the 80's' and there seems to have been a typo in it's title.

Is it just me or was all music in the 80's just a pile of old pap?

My favorite 2 decades for pop music were the 60s and the 80s. (I suspect this would not elicit an eye roll so much as projectile vomiting...)

There was lots of good music from other decades too- for example, the pop music I remember from the 70s mostly strikes me as quite depressing, and disco did nothing for me, but the "classic rock" from that period like Led Zeppelin could be lots of fun. And sometimes I find that, in retrospect, I think the music of a past time was better than it seemed to me then: Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan... I thought The Beatles were okay but I didn't understand what everybody was screaming about. It was only much later that I really appreciated the Fab Four. Seeing Paul McCartney in 2011 was something I'll remember always!

(shrug) There's no dictating tastes. What were some of the songs in the compilation you bought, CG? We'd probably agree that some of the selections undoubtedly DID suck.

Last edited:
Okay. I just googled Stock, Aitken, and Waterman and found a list of songs they'd produced and/or written. The only ones I recognized were their productions of remakes, like Bananarama's cover of "Venus". The titles of the other songs on that LONG list didn't ring a bell.

I clicked on this thread just so I could see what pap music is. :p

But, I actually like a lot of 80's music and the hair bands. Oh wait, you said pop, not rock. Hmmmm. Brb, gotta see what's considered 80's pop.

Okay, I do like some of the pop music from the 80's.
♪ Karma karma karma karma, karma chameleon :pickle:
You come and go, you come and go ♪

Reactions: Freesia
I clicked on this thread just so I could see what pap music is. :p

But, I actually like a lot of 80's music and the hair bands. Oh wait, you said pop, not rock. Hmmmm. Brb, gotta see what's considered 80's pop.

Okay, I do like some of the pop music from the 80's.
♪ Karma karma karma karma, karma chameleon :pickle:
You come and go, you come and go ♪

I liked the Culture Club too. :bag::p

Reactions: Freesia
So I looked up who Stock, Aitken & Waterman are, and it looks like their songs do indeed suck.
If you bought an entire cd of just their music, I understand wanting to burn them (and/or the cd) at the stake.

I liked Stock Aitken and Waterman. Dont attack my childhood. Yes it was a bit of a machine rather than music label, but it wasnt the worst thing ever.

Whenever I think of Mel and Kim, Bananarama, or the Kylie Minogue music video where she is in the bath blowing bubbles, I am taken right back to primary school.