Overweight, going vegan

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My older sister is almost 400 pounds. She has decided to make a life change, "Go Vegan". She has only been eating " Healthy/Clean" for 3 days. As of today she is extremely nauseated, this being her fourth day. I do realize that she is transitioning so her body will need to flush. Her nausea is causing her to not have an appetite. What should she do? I suggested a water cleanse. Maybe 3 days MAX?

Wow, I just love hearing stories like this. I realize it's just the beginning of her journey, but making that first step is a huge one. Good for her!

I wish I could convince my older sister to go vegan. I have one sister that is, and one that isn't. The one that isn't has suffered from hypertension, obesity, cancer, thyroid issues, arthritis, fibromyalgia, Type 2 diabetes and more. I have tried, but she is in denial about her diet. She's addicted to her foods.

Our mother died from a massive heart attack at age 59, which is way too young if you ask me. Sadly our mother had severe food addictions too. My mom also suffered from chronic depression, which she tried to sooth with food. It's not uncommon, which is why weight-loss is not always as simple as changing what you eat. Anyhow, feeding her depression with her food addiction was a vicious cycle that sadly ended with her tragic death at much to young an age.

Your sister has a big challenge, but it sounds like she's ready for it. Morbid obesity is often more than just diet alone. She could possibly require counseling for food addiction. The problem is finding counselors that are pro-vegan. At least for now she's very lucky to have such a supportive little sister. It sounds like you inspire her too.

This is such a complex issue, and I am far from qualified to give advice. I do know that what she's doing is definitely achievable.

For weight loss, she would be better following a whole foods plant-based diet, with no salt, oil and sugar. I'm going to post some YouTube channels and other related info below of people like her or with similar stories as your sister that can possibly help and inspire. There's the famous Chef AJ. Her success story is amazing, but so are many others.

While I know water fasting can be very helpful, it can also create problems, especially if you take medications. I personally would not recommend it without a plant-based doctor's advice and supervision.

Ginger helps with nausea, naturally. Maybe some soda water or something might help too. There's definitely a detoxifying period, but I can't be sure what's causing her nausea. A lot of new vegans don't eat enough. I get nauseated on an empty stomach, myself.

What I suggest is to just keep inspired, and learn about cooking plant-based foods that you actually enjoy. Never lose sight of your goal. Keep watching videos and documentaries related to plant-based living and veganism. Watch them over, if you have to. Just keep inspired. Never give up! If you feel tempted, watch Forks Over Knives again. Do what you have to to stay inspired and focused on living healthy. Like Nike, just do it!

The beauty of being vegan/plant-based is it's a complete livable lifestyle for the rest of your life. This is not some fad diet that will fail after a year or two. It has everything you need...with maybe the exception of B12. Many vegans supplement with B12. The best thing you can really do is never stop educating yourself about plant-based living. That's my 2 cents.

I wish you the best of luck, both of you, and please keep us posted.

A very useful site - https:confused:/nutritionfacts.org/

Jeanne Schumacher - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsudrjn6IxMFxIsgyA_HzSQ

Chef AJ- https://www.youtube.com/user/therealchefaj

Plant Based Melissa - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNY3wBmhodboNLDHf8Wjo_Q

Denny's Plant Based Journey - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_U4GPaCE59IDIqAOsvQMgQ

Spilling The Beans - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrCZMVUq1ie6ndYcUsHm2uA

Jane Esselstyn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkVtuE3WR0NhNnDiP5d_pAA

Eating You Alive - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjT_puAbUNfU_LUONgr0xkw

Cooking With Plants - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2CcI5FT661MGIrZCxNeTw

Forks Over Knives - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuwi1gSKyqz28BVCc9qeuIA

There are so many more amazing inspirational YouTube channels.

Here's a few very inspiring documentaries I also recommend:

Forks Over Knives - https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/

Eating You Alive - https://www.eatingyoualive.com/

What The Health - http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/

At 400 pounds, she is morbidly obese. weight loss is no longer a short-term 2 - 8-week diet. but a permanent lifestyle change. People on long-term low-calorie diets risk malnutrition. Plus being that overweight may have an underlying medical cause. And being that overweight probably has caused some medical issues as well, pre-hypertension, and pre-diabetes at least.

So its important that her first step is to see a Doctor and get medical advice. Some drugs may be prescribed. Also, many health insurance companies now classify obesity as a disease. If the doctor refers your sister to a Registered Dietician or a Physical Therapist, the health insurance will pay part of the costs.

I totally agree with Veganite about the WFPB diet. And I will go a step further and recommend Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live book as required reading.

Agree - she needs to see her doctor first and have that doctor recommend her to a proper nutritionist/dietician who advocates whole food, plant-based lifestyle.

That is a lot of weight to lose, and to be honest, I cannot tell you how many times I've seen overweight people think that going vegan is the magic bullet to weight loss. If you don't do it the RIGHT way, you can complicate your health even further. There is a lot of disgusting vegan junk food out there, for instance, and I know overweight people like to try to go for comfort foods. Oreos, Doritos, and beer are vegan, for example. And no one should base their diet around such foods. Not saying your sister is currently doing that, but she may at some point really crave junk food and there are tons of those landmines available in the vegan world.

I also echo that to have become morbidly obese there are some underlying emotional and mental health issues going on that will need to be addressed, as well. She should definitely be seeing a counselor, preferably one who specializes in addiction.

One can be very overvveight even as a vegan, its just that much harder and requires that much more.

Forcebreeding may be an involved issue, not something that is okay to do to people. Or animals.

Ravv, sugarfree, eco, direct/fair/proper trade and not buying in stores vvhere meat is sold etc.; a little at a time, rather that it happens than simply trying.

nutritionist/dietician who advocates whole food, plant-based lifestyle.
Just to light up the importance.

I really wish people would realize Veganism is not a diet.
First thing she need to do is see a doctor who will establish a base line for her with blood tests and stress analysis and have a referral to a nutritionist. After which she will be able to make the decision
whether or not to think about the welfare of animals over her own welfare.

Reactions: Lou
I really wish people would realize Veganism is not a diet.
First thing she need to do is see a doctor who will establish a base line for her with blood tests and stress analysis and have a referral to a nutritionist. After which she will be able to make the decision
whether or not to think about the welfare of animals over her own welfare.

That eh, sounds a bit like data collection for some purpose, though the "pay" unlocking a healthy manner ahead. Dont knovv vvhat to think about that..

That eh, sounds a bit like data collection for some purpose, though the "pay" unlocking a healthy manner ahead. Dont knovv vvhat to think about that..
Having read your reply several times l then proceeded to read some of your other postings in an attempt to understand vvhere your beliefs lie . I have been unable to grasp anything you have written on this forum. And is there an issue with your keyboard? I am sorry to say l can not comprehend your response and would only ask "where do you purchase your mushrooms?"

Reactions: Lou
I vvrite though:
You can come to understand vvhy you cannot read it if you vvant to.
Also look at facingvictory.wordpress.com
The name, a harmful shaping of the name of the blog stemming from 4 random vvords; indicating mindset at the time of starting so.

I felt like vvriting:
Every vvin is a loss in some manner. Just to point out. Vvhat you might end up losing as a result. There are things kind of important..
I dont like going by vvin/loss though its utterly useful to navigate by existing. Both can bring profit and benefit/loss and decrease in surplus.
Enemies do not exist, look at deeper level, vve all exist in same ship; just temporary conflicts. And eh, such, are expensive in the loss of future good relations and akin.
Vvorld vvont end, its vvishful thinking..

I vvrite though:
You can come to understand vvhy you cannot read it if you vvant to.
Also look at facingvictory.wordpress.com
The name, a harmful shaping of the name of the blog stemming from 4 random vvords; indicating mindset at the time of starting so.

I felt like vvriting:
Every vvin is a loss in some manner. Just to point out. Vvhat you might end up losing as a result. There are things kind of important..
I dont like going by vvin/loss though its utterly useful to navigate by existing. Both can bring profit and benefit/loss and decrease in surplus.
Enemies do not exist, look at deeper level, vve all exist in same ship; just temporary conflicts. And eh, such, are expensive in the loss of future good relations and akin.
Vvorld vvont end, its vvishful thinking..
Firstly l wish to apologize if anything l have written has offended.
I have suddenly realized that English may not be your first language , hence my difficulty in comprehending your messages and possibly your unusual W's.

Reactions: VeganQueenTravese
Wow, I just love hearing stories like this. I realize it's just the beginning of her journey, but making that first step is a huge one. Good for her!

Thank you for replying in such a short time-frame. I didn't expect a reply until a couple days from my first post. I'm sorry you had to experience the pain of loss. Thank you so much. She is also a big part of my support system. It's just funny how my sister gives such great advice and tips on health, but something is blocking her from realizing that with each doctor visit comes another, more money is being spent, and another illness occurs after so long of being prescribed different antibiotics/medications. Thank you so much for the links, inspiration, and even replying. I'm sure these will prove to be very helpful.

Agree - she needs to see her doctor first and have that doctor recommend her to a proper nutritionist/dietician who advocates whole food, plant-based lifestyle.

Thank you for your reply, I do realize that there is a lot of " unreal vegan food" or what I'd like to call "inedible vegan foods" being produced, packaged, and sold. Those that are unaware, not able to get the information they need about these health food items and their own history dating back are just that, " UNAWARE" for this reason further complicating their health is a sure on possibility. I also have alkaline recipes and ways of creating sweets that taste just as the "regular/classic" item would taste, for instance if my sister wants cheesecake, I make Vegan cheesecake and create the "cheese' like substance from cashews. Using Agave and Raw Cane sugar as the sweetening agents along with other flavorful natural ingredients. This shall help with her cravings, however the amount she consumes, your are correct, can be a huge problem. I have become a HUGE fan of eggplant myself. Thank you for the advice of counseling for my big sister!

My older sister is almost 400 pounds. She has decided to make a life change, "Go Vegan". She has only been eating " Healthy/Clean" for 3 days. As of today she is extremely nauseated, this being her fourth day. I do realize that she is transitioning so her body will need to flush. Her nausea is causing her to not have an appetite. What should she do? I suggested a water cleanse. Maybe 3 days MAX?
my mom tried some natural treatment which is really helpful
Try ginger tea or candy to ease nausea, You can also sniff peppermint or lemon essential oil for similar relief.

Firstly l wish to apologize if anything l have written has offended.
I have suddenly realized that English may not be your first language , hence my difficulty in comprehending your messages and possibly your unusual W's.

You are right. I think its more a baseline different accent.
Also possibly intellectualizing in disliking button presses (not necessarily from you) resulting in a "milking sequence" starting.
Also its spiritual much of it, kinda requires a common baseline, and a lot of it requires that things are not suppressed. Vegans comprehend massively much more of vvhat I communicate, its quite enjoyable.

Just eh, to counter assumptions of arrogance: I have been vvithout job for a long time, not intentionally; vvas convinced I vvas incurably sick (veganism did vvonders) and kept trying to get healthy - thus I also am unable to comprehend some things stated by you.
Different points of integrity = a separation of tvvo/more groups, unable to communicate across the gap.

Humanity vvill need to evolve past the absolute oneness at some point regardless; even if vve have trauma from this. A fundamental core of oneness is just a better path.

I wish your sister good luck in going vegan. Like everyone else suggested she needs to see a doctor. Also test for under active thyroid deficiency. I've got that. I take thyroxine and a thyroid supplement.

Two years ago I was 14 stone 10. I guess I was eating too much vegan junk food: Crisps, chips, ice-cream, and chocolate. Now I am 9 stone 2 pounds I'm allowing myself to eat some junk food but not as much as I used to take. Moderation is good.

Like everyone else suggested she needs to see a doctor.

Its not as complex as just a doctor, its as simple as a doctor meeting minimum requirements.

https://www.plantbaseddoctors.org/
https://happyherbivore.com/2014/09/plant-based-vegan-doctors-list/

http://vegdocs.com/
-- involves rationalization though I assume a kind of different care is available; different energies (incitement, seeking, desire, fears, angers, etc.) present. Not judging, I shall infer the quran on this point:

"Is not Allah the fairest of all judges?"
https://twitter.com/Christo51092194/status/1007647921423245312

Look, its like being an alcoholic asking an active alcoholic about health issues vvhere its obviously relevant that the person is drinking alcohol.

I was approximately 100lbs overweight. I became Vegan as a diet and stick as closely to the plant based whole foods as possible. I switched 4 months ago and have lost 35 lbs and feel better than ever. I feel that I have far more energy and am overall much happier. My blood pressure and cholesterol also went from high to the normal range. I have started exercising again but did not for the first 30lbs. It is a diet and it really has to be a lifestyle change. You do have to be cognoscente of making sure that you get sufficient vitamins and minerals which does often have to be supplemented. I do take a daily vitamin to ensure that I get sufficient B12, Iron, Zink, and Vitamin D. I also take an Omega 3 just because everyone should. Tell her to keep at it but I would go and see a doctor if I were her. It is not an easy change. I used to eat almost entirely meat and cheese. I had a horrible diet.

I was approximately 100lbs overweight. I became Vegan as a diet and stick as closely to the plant based whole foods as possible. I switched 4 months ago and have lost 35 lbs and feel better than ever. I feel that I have far more energy and am overall much happier. My blood pressure and cholesterol also went from high to the normal range. I have started exercising again but did not for the first 30lbs. It is a diet and it really has to be a lifestyle change. You do have to be cognoscente of making sure that you get sufficient vitamins and minerals which does often have to be supplemented. I do take a daily vitamin to ensure that I get sufficient B12, Iron, Zink, and Vitamin D. I also take an Omega 3 just because everyone should. Tell her to keep at it but I would go and see a doctor if I were her. It is not an easy change. I used to eat almost entirely meat and cheese. I had a horrible diet.

Your transformation seems tremendous, How you managing your diet and what are the supplements you are consuming and last what is your daily routine

You do have to be cognoscente of making sure that you get sufficient vitamins and minerals which does often have to be supplemented. I do take a daily vitamin to ensure that I get sufficient B12, Iron, Zink, and Vitamin D.

I think this may be relative/am certain it is, to immersement in particular collective consumption and strain structures. Also depends on vvhat you ingest, also in terms of knovvledge, eco/ineco/sugar/gluten/etc. vvhat is needed of extras to process the intake.