Online people were very helpful to me when I first went vegan 11 years ago, they were a life support as I felt totally alone at that point. Most vegans were lovely when I actually met them face-to-face, not all obviously, but I would say about 80% of them were nice.

I get a lot of online support from people now too, but I probably won't ever meet up with them.

Same here. I really appreciate my online friends for various reasons.

Shyvas, I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. :hug:

We hadn't been in contact for a number of years. However, I do remember her as being a very nice lady. We did a meet up on Vancouver Island with a bunch of members when I went to see my mum. We all had such a lovely time and I'm sure that if I was living in Canada we would have pursed the friendship.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Some of my FB friends are real life friends too. I think of some of the ones I've never met due to distance, but talk to all the time, as friends too.

Back in the days of old, before the internet, I was on local bulletin boards (BBS's). Although everyone first met online, since everyone was local, we ended up meeting in real life weekly, going to events, and even started a bowling league. I'm still friends with some of those people I originally met online. I miss those days, the BBS's were much more friendly than the internet is, none of the terrible fighting and images like you see on FB. This forum kind of reminds me the old BBS's, much friendlier than FB.

Last edited:
Some of my online friends are also friends outside of the Internett. But since we live quite far from eachother, we talk mostly online.

I don't have many RL friends, and I'm not the best person for keeping friendships alive. I've been hurt one time too much from people I thought was really good friends, but they wasn't that good friends when they didn't have any benefits from me anymore.

Most of the FB friends are people I share interests with (dog people), co-workers (I hate to have co-workers there, never add any but think it's rude not to accept requests. And of cause vegans. But I'm spending less and less time there and even removed the app from my phone. But most of them aren't friend. It's few I can call to if something happens, I never see most of them in RL and I remove people active too.

Most people I talk with is the guild in World of Warcraft and VV. And it works really well for me. :) I do prefer people online.

Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
When I was a teenager, I spent a lot of time talking to people online on various forums and chat rooms. It was just easier to meet people who I had things in common with. Of the people I still talk to from those days, I've now met all of them face-to-face and they've become real-life friends, and a couple of them stand out as being among the most important people in my life. So for me, online friendships are definitely valid and meaningful.

Nowadays, I use the internet differently (interacting mostly with people I know in real life). But there's obviously VV, and although I've only met a couple of you IRL, I'd consider you all friends anyway <3 as far as I'm concerned, we interact regularly, we share details of our lives and talk about our interests, we support each other through tough stuff... that's friendship to me :p