US One party government

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I can't help but think the changing demographics caused by US immigration policies(promoted by many genius Republicans who have influence in their party) will put the Republicans at a serious disadvantage. Are we quickly approaching a time period where Democrats have complete dominance of the government?

Are we quickly approaching a time period where Democrats have complete dominance of the government?
No, the republicans won the house and will possibly win the senate in November. In terms of changing demographics, those could actually benefit the Republicans if they play their cards right as Hispanics are, in general, conservative.

But, in reality, the US already has a one party system. The difference between republicans and democrats is small and each election is a choice between different shades of the same color.

If the difference between Democrats and Republicans is small, then conservative Latinos could vote for one just as well as the other.

Politicians and their corporate overlords spend millions shaping the public's perceived difference.

I suppose Fox News ranting about liberals reinforces a perception like that. Maybe Democrats and Republicans are different, but they never get much power. The power is always with the corporations.

Republicans also have an older base. Younger whites tend to vote more Democrat than older whites do. They may still get some states but any chance of Presidency or controlling Senate or the House will diminish over time. If they start pushing for Government programs that help the poor they may turn off their base in the process. I don't see any way they can perform well in the future. They have a shot in 2016 depending on the economy, but after that it'll get more difficult.

If the difference between Democrats and Republicans is small, then conservative Latinos could vote for one just as well as the other.
They could and you see just that, for example, Texas republicans have done a much better job at attracting Hispanics than California republicans and as a result Texas is a republican state and California a democratic one.

If republicans can figure out a way to appeal to lower socioeconomic whites while not alienating Hispanics.....I think they will become the dominate political force. Right now their strategies often alienate non-white voters.

Maybe Democrats and Republicans are different, but they never get much power. The power is always with the corporations.
There are small differences, but as far as the political spectrum goes they are just a different shade of the same color. Democrats aren't advocating any truly liberal policies, even their health care reform was decidedly conservative. The last time the US implemented policies that were more liberal in nature was in the 1930's....and the only reason I think that occurred is because the aristocracy feared an out right revolution if wealth didn't become more balanced. That is, it was a choice of giving up a little or risk it all. This time around, that is during the financial crisis, the media was in much better control of the masses so a revolution was never in question.

If they start pushing for Government programs that help the poor they may turn off their base in the process. I don't see any way they can perform well in the future. They have a shot in 2016 depending on the economy, but after that it'll get more difficult.
I guess this depends on what you consider the republican base, as for as the voting base goes, many are lower income so wouldn't be turned off by policies that helped them so long as they were well branded. How democrats and republicans have branded themselves has changed a lot over the years, if the republicans start consistently losing elections they will change their message. But right now we aren't in such a situation, the republicans control the house and they are going to pick up seats in the senate.