Question One Dish Meal

Grayveggie

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I have a question?? I went to Big Lots and got a huge bag of white rice for $2, cans of black beans for .50, etc etc. I know bags of beans would have been better, but I don't have slot of time right now as I'm working two jobs and caring for my disabled spouse. So I made a huge pot of rice, added some chopped onions, beans, can of fiesta corn, and seasonings and it is really good!!! My question is, is this one dish meal an ok nutritious vegan meal?? Or am I lacking some vitamins somewhere?

Reactions: Second Summer
Thats a typical lunch for me! I love making rice in the morning because I always time it right, and love the smell! I like to add chopped fresh spinach while it's hot and wilts just perfectly.
It has all the makings of a good meal. Lentils are really good too, and you can switch rice with other grains, or whole grain pastas. I like shell pastas because the wrap around the beans and veggies

Reactions: PTree15
You're off to a good start! I would have gone for brown rice, personally, as it has more fibre, as well as zink and magnesium. That said, white rice in the US tends to be fortified with some vitamins (it's a good thing), but I'd prefer the fibre myself.

Beans are great, but I very much understand how they can be difficult to cook from dry state, especially when you have time constraints. (There are some tricks, though.) Lentils are easy to cook from dry state, green ones take 15 - 20 minutes or so, and the red / yellow dahl ones only take a few minutes.

It's important to have variety in your diet - so think about adding some greens, nuts, fruits and whole grains to your other meals of the day. :)

Oh I did have lots of fruit for breakfast, and ancient grains oatmeal. And I had cucumbers today, and asparagus.