Omni partner?

Hibou

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hey hey hello dear veggis.

I was just wondering if any of your partners is an omnivore, or do you all have partners that are vegetarian or vegan like yourself?
Does that sometimes create problems between you?
Do you want to change his/her mind?

My well beloved boyfriend is a meat eater although he doesn't mind cooking with me and eating vegetarian whenever he's with me (which is a lot!). But when we eat out, he eats meat.
What can I say, it's entirely his decision. I would probably prefer if he was vegetarian as it can be easier, but I love him as he is so, so much and don't intend to change him.
I'm not the type to trying to convince anybody to become vegetarian cause I know that never persuaded me when I was still eating meat.

What's your opinion about this?
:mcat:

What can I say, it's entirely his decision.

It is eminently wise for any meat eater to make what they eat entirely their own decision, Hibou.

This is simply because what meat eaters like to eat has a tendency to decide to run away and carry on living, if they give it any choice.

This theory can be tested by running around, waving a jar of mint sauce, in a field of sheep.

Last edited:
My fiancé is vegan. I've dated people who ate meat in the past, but not too seriously. I don't think id want to live with someone who eats meat. But veganism is such a big part of who I am - I'm glad I have a partner to share that with.. And my love of dogs and nature!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
This is simply because what meat eaters like to eat has a tendency to decide to run away and carry on living, if they give it any choice.

Well you know that that's not wat I meant.
We also have to harvest whatever we eat (plants) or it keeps on living, that is not really the issue here.
What I mean is that I cannot dictate his diet. I don't want to do that, I believe that everyone has to decide for themselves what they eat or not eat.

My fiancé is vegan. I've dated people who ate meat in the past, but not too seriously. I don't think id want to live with someone who eats meat. But veganism is such a big part of who I am - I'm glad I have a partner to share that with.. And my love of dogs and nature!

It must be wonderful to have a partner with whom you share not only common interests but also basic core principles Rascals. I am very happy for you !!:starshower:

I did not realise until yesterday what a big part of my life being a Vegan is. I knew it was a part of life but actually it is becoming the bedrock of who I am.

And the reason that I am moving away from people that in the past I have been happy to spend time with.

I am coming to terms with this and where it leaves me .

Well you know that that's not wat I meant.
We also have to harvest whatever we eat (plants) or it keeps on living, that is not really the issue here.
What I mean is that I cannot dictate his diet. I don't want to do that, I believe that everyone has to decide for themselves what they eat or not eat.

HI Hibou

The problem is that what we decide to eat does not have the right to decide whether to be eaten or not.

What we decide to eat is based on our luxurious position in the food chain where we have the ability to decide what to eat, and the confidence of knowing that we have the power to imprison and kill whatever it is that we decide to eat.

The majority of members here who are in relationships have a non-veg partner. I think it's pretty common in general. Fortunately, that is not the case for me.

My fiancé was a meat eater when we met, but transitioned to veggie after a few years. I didn't make him do it, but I'm super glad he made the decision.

The majority of members here who are in relationships have a non-veg partner. I think it's pretty common in general. Fortunately, that is not the case for me.

Yes , I have seen from members posts that this is the case Indian Summer. I myself have a non-Vegan son living in my home so I know only too well the conflicts and compromise.

In my case.. my son is 20 and will leave and make his own choices which do not compromise mine any longer.

I can imagine that it is much harder in situations where the non-Vegan is your life partner.

My partner is a non vegan, I don't find it hard at all. I think... when you love somebody, you love them for who they are, even though you disagree with each other on loads of things. What's important to me isn't that we share the same beliefs, but that we respect and love each other for our different beliefs. I don't know, I know that sounds cheesy... but before I did start going out with my fiance, I just couldn't imagine living with an omni partner, I thought it would be awful. :shrug: I was wrong, it doesn't impact me at all.

My fiance eats vegan meals 95% of the time, and cooks me vegan food, bakes me vegan cakes on my birthday, takes me to vegetarian restaurants, accompanies me to vegan fayres, finds me vegan sweets and chocolates, makes sure his family has vegan food in when we visit... he wont go to a restaurant with me somewhere that I wont get a nice meal, even though I wouldn't mind doing that if it was somewhere he really wanted to go. He's just a sweet guy who always puts me first, the fact that he eats meat doesn't cause any problems at all.

In an abstract way - of course I want him to be vegan, I want everyone to be vegan. But on a personal level it's just not an issue, I accept that he has different beliefs to me, in lots of areas - tbh our beliefs on animals are probably the least contentious when it comes to our different beliefs. Get us started on organ donation or the education system and we'll be debating all day...

My fiance eats vegan meals 95% of the time, and cooks me vegan food, bakes me vegan cakes on my birthday, takes me to vegetarian restaurants, accompanies me to vegan fayres, finds me vegan sweets and chocolates, makes sure his family has vegan food in when we visit... he wont go to a restaurant with me somewhere that I wont get a nice meal, even though I wouldn't mind doing that if it was somewhere he really wanted to go.

I think it makes a big difference when your omni partner is so accommodating.:)

My husband mostly eats vegetarian and vegan food although he is omni, I know he ate meat at a funeral and at a wedding in 2012 but he hasn't since then. I think I would find it hard (or impossible) to live with someone who wanted to cook meat and fish in the house as it would make me feel ill. He is very accommodating of my lifestyle and basically lets me make most of the decisions about only having vegetarian/vegan food in the house and he only uses vegan toiletries and clothing and footwear.

I know my views have influenced him positively too and steered him away from eating animals and their products. He does try new vegan foods too, this morning he drank a blueberry, banana, oat milk and rice milk smoothie and he ate the seitan I ordered as I couldn't stand the taste. :D

I don't know about this one....tough call because I'm not able to place myself in that scenario since my wife and I are both vegan.

My personal first instinctual reaction is that it'd be too much like sleeping with the enemy.

Reactions: CrowCaw and shyvas
My husband is a pescatarian. We keep a mostly vegan home, however, and he's supremely supportive of that. I wish he'd knock off all the cheese when we eat out, but I bite my tongue!

Reactions: RascalsMom
HI Hibou

The problem is that what we decide to eat does not have the right to decide whether to be eaten or not.

What we decide to eat is based on our luxurious position in the food chain where we have the ability to decide what to eat, and the confidence of knowing that we have the power to imprison and kill whatever it is that we decide to eat.

Well I am well aware of that, remember I am a vegetarian. That still doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I believe my partner should make his own decision and if that means eating animals that don't have the choice than that is still his choice.

Reactions: sus898
SummerRain that is exactly how my boyfriend is, too. He understands why I am a vegetarian, respects that view and supports me with it like cooking vegetarian for me, going to veg restaurants etc... He also eats rarely meat at all. I don't have a problem with omnivores, they don't feel for me like "the enemy". Maybe cause I haven't been a vegetarian for so long, only 2 years. And discussions with others never convinced me before so I don't feel like arguing with them anyway.

Reactions: SummerRain
I think it makes a big difference when your omni partner is so accommodating.:)

Yeah definitely. I definitely couldn't date an omni that made fun of veganism, or wouldn't go to veg*an restaurants/places with me... which a long time ago ex boyfriend did. Obviously, he is now an ex. Not because he was an omni, but because I want a partner that... isn't a dick. :D

SummerRain that is exactly how my boyfriend is, too.

:) You're lucky too then!

Reactions: sus898 and PTree15
People have to decide for themselves on whether they go Vegetarian or Vegan in their own time. For me it was a compassionate decision not to eat meat. I'd prefer to have a Vegan for a partner but that's not always possible...just my humble opinion.

Reactions: ledboots
Glad to hear I am not the only one with an omnivore love. Mine totally gets it though. He has never ate pork for religious reasons so understands my ethical stance. I was vegetarian 90% when we met eating or drinking nothing from land. Still ate crustaceans back then till I realized they too have a CNS. Been Vegan for 2 years now and yeah it rubs off on him so to speak.V Lasagna, V chik sandwiches,V tacos, etc...
Can't even remember last time he ate a steak. Not to say he will not but I love him regardless just as he loves me although I am not a Muslim as is he. So I think we are even there.