Olive oil bread for soup

hopeful

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Olive Oil Bread for Soup (from the cookbook "Isa Does It")

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1 TBSP granulated sugar
1 packet dry yeast (2 1/4 TSP)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the bowl and drizzling
2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 TSP salt

Steps:
1. Add water and sugar to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle in yeast and let sit for 5 minutes. (I don't use a standing mixer, so I put those ingredients in a bowl, which I warm first with warm/hot water so that the bowl is warm and doesn't kill the yeast.)

2. Mix in the olive oil. Add 1 cup of flour, along with the salt. Mix at low speed until well incorporated, then turn the speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. (I just stir it with a spoon until incorporated.)

3. Add another 1/2 cup of flour and mix well, starting at low speed and then switching to medium speed. Then add another 1/2 cup of flour, again starting on low speed and switching to medium. Knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. You may occasionally have to get in there with your hands if the dough starts climbing up the hook. It should become smooth and elastic and slightly sticky. (Instead of this, I just add most of the flour and kneed by hand for about 8 minutes.) At this point, incorporate flour by the TBSP, kneading on medium speed until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky. When it starts to seem dry, stop adding flour. This could be anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of additional flour.

I am going to start paraphrasing more now:

3. Drizzle a bowl with olive oil. Form the dough into a ball, rolling in the olive oil in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

4. Form dough into a loaf that is about 14 inches long and 4 inches wide.

5. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Place dough on the baking sheet, score the top with 3 diagonal slices, and drizzle with olive oil. (I have never drizzled it with oil.) Let rise for 15 minutes. While it is rising, preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.

6. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 more minutes.

7. Remove from oven. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

do you have like an image to see the final look of the bread?