News Oat Milk Should be Your N°1 Choice

I'm almost a total soy milk guy.
I usually have two half gallons in the frig. One plain and one vanilla. the vanilla one is usually just for drinking plain and the plain is for cereal and smoothies. Lately, I have been buying the plain in redi pak quarts and saving it for cooking and using the vanilla for everything else. Because I now have a half-gallon of chocolate milk in the frig too.

I've been having a cup of hot chocolate every morning instead of coffee.

A local company called WestWood makes chocolate soymilk with organic free-trade chocolate. Or I would buy Equal Exchange Dark Hot Chocolate powder for my hot chocolate. For the past month, I've been buying Silk Almond Coconut chocolate milk. It's really good. and they put in some pea protein so it even has 10 grams of protein.

I used to be a big coffee drinker. Since I retired I have been cutting back and now I don't drink coffee every day and when I do I only have 8 oz. Good black coffee is fine for me but when I'm home I will add the vanilla soy milk to it. I used to go to Starbucks once a week to meet with my retired friends. I do not like their coffee black and they charge extra for soy. So I would just bring my own tumbler to the store and put my own soy milk in it at home. It also drove me crazy that my retired friends would not bring a coffee cup to Starbucks. I even bought them some. They claimed that remembering to bring a cup to the place and then taking it home and washing it was too hard. Starbucks even gives you a 15¢ discount if you bring your own cup. Stupid Boomers. :eek:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Another article that promotes oat milk. I think they had to bend over to make oat milk look better than soy milk.

The reporter states, "The primary environmental drawback to soy milk is that soybeans are grown in massive quantities around the world to feed livestock for meat and dairy production. Large swaths of rainforest in the Amazon have been burned to make way for soy farms. The workaround for this is to simply do a little research and read the carton to find soy milk that is made from organic soybeans grown in the US or Canada."

How is that a drawback for soymilk? (most soy milk "is made from organic soybeans grown in the US or Canada."

Then goes on to say, glyphosate ( a component of round up that may cause cancer) is found in most oats. Even in some organic oats.

How is that NOT a drawback?

The author also states that oat milk is "high in protein". But the average glass of oat milk contains less than half the protein of the average glass of soy milk.

I like the Beet, but I think this reporter is biased.

Reactions: Brian W
I've liked some of the commercial oat milks- with the additives. I've made my own trying different tips and tricks and thought it pretty disgusting
I don't use any in coffee though
I do like homemade soy and almond and cashew- definitely cashew, but they have a list of ethical problems too!

Last edited:
I had some chocolate oat milk the other day. It was nice. Oatly.

I have almond milk in the fridge but I'm going back to buying soya milk instead.

Chobani Vanilla Oat milk is really the best plant-based milk I've ever seen. I also saw an environmental graph today that reassured me that oat milk is my best choice environmentally. But soy is close, and has more protein, and I still drink soy milk and think it's a perfectly fine choice.

I started off using oat milk but switched to Soy when I discovered it has more protein.

You can drink both. I like vanilla oat milk as a straight beverage or in coffee. Like I just drink it as a snack. Soy (especially plain unsweetened) is great in cooking/recipes, or in your cereal.

I did try Ripple. It was a no go. I have seen the Chobani but have not tried it yet. I did buy an oat, cashew, macadamia blend that was nice. No good for coffee though, just for cereal and cooking/baking. It was pricey so it’s not something I would buy regularly. I love the cashew milk I buy. I think it’s Silk. And I like almond breeze. Both come in 25-30 calorie per cup options. I do have to pay attention to that. The other milks can be quite high and I need to save my calories for snacking lol.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions. But I really have tried just about every alternative to silk creamer for coffee with no luck. I just don’t think it’s out there. I bought a half gallon of soy milk out of desperation when I was having trouble getting the creamer. Even that was more tolerable than the almond/coconut varieties. But I just chose not to have coffee those few days.

True confession, I had a cup with dairy creamer and was surprised that it wasn’t that great. I expected to enjoy it more but I didn’t. It almost tasted weird. I guess that’s what happens after 14 years or so.

I’m good for a couple of weeks. I bought the three quarts in WF and then my sister in law surprised me with a quart from Stop n Shop. I should be good through May.

I've honestly never been interested in Ripple. One of my roommates drinks it, but I like my pea protein in vegan meats, I guess.

My least favorite plant-based milk is almond. I drink it occasionally on-sale, it will do, but I prefer almonds as nuts if I buy them.

Cashew is good, but I do it so much in vegan cheese or whatever I don't want to overdo it.

The best coffee creamer I ever had was a macademia nut vanilla creamer but it truly cost me for the quality.

Please try Chobani vanilla oat. It's really like a milkshake, it's ridiculously good (at least I think so).

Reactions: silva and KLS52