Non-vegans attacking me for my choice to be vegan

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Non-vegans constantly attacking me for my choice to be vegan

I feel like each time someone finds out I am vegan they constantly try to attack me and find something wrong with veganism e.g. that it is unhealthy or that I still hurt animals despite being vegan. Can people just respect my choice to be vegan and not try and dig out any dirt.

Reactions: HappyRoxy
I prefer the term "plant-based" as apposed to vegan, most of the time. So if the subject comes up, I simply say I eat plant-based only. I've found in some, not all, but some situations, people will take offense to the word vegan. However, for some reason, saying you're plant-based doesn't usually provoke the same response. So rather than provoke, I say "plant-based" and quickly move on. Having said that, it doesn't mean I won't debate the advantages of going vegan with the right people. As they say, choose your battles carefully.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Strangers can always be a bit of a problem, but who cares? Once the people you know best get used to your being vegan, watch you make your choices according to your values over time, and see you stand up for yourself, you''ll probably find that they start to lay off. And if you're lucky, they'll eventually start to ask you questions about being vegan, consider your food choices when inviting you to dine, and refer to you as "the vegan" in their lives.

I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of your social circles, and how much you talk about veganism and related topics.

I'm 44 and interact IRL mostly with educated adults. I don't usually bring up being vegan, unless there are plans for social events involving food. It's extremely rare that I end up in an argument about the merits of veganism.

Funny story: I ride the bus to/from work. A guy I had been talking to for more than a year turns out to also be vegan! (It also turned out we had more almost equally unusual things in common.)

No attacks, but mickey taking and teasing at the office. People eating cake, doughnuts and biscuits in front of me, whilst saying in an exaggerated way how delicious it is, and what a shame it is that I can't have any.

I had the same problem when I first become vegan (age 22). Guys that age (including me, at that time) just have to give each other ****, it seems. Now that I'm older, those things rarely happen.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Yes I've experienced the same thing many times. It almost seems like a certain type of person takes it as a challenge, as a personal insult that they need to respond to you. I tell myself that these people are those who deep down know that it is a morally justifiable choice to be vegan whereas carnism has questionable moral underpinnings. So it's almost like the people who don't care are never going to change it's not even on their radar, but the people who get offended and try to make you justify your position maybe are closer in some way?

It's counterintuitive but I think it has some validity. So, if you feel like it, maybe don't avoid these conversations entirely. As others have said, pick your battles and keep on fighting the good fight :)

And watch Earthling Ed for how not to take things personally and retain your composure Under Fire! After all, it isn't about us, it's about those we are trying to protect. Best of luck.

Yes I've experienced the same thing many times. It almost seems like a certain type of person takes it as a challenge, as a personal insult that they need to respond to you. I tell myself that these people are those who deep down know that it is a morally justifiable choice to be vegan whereas carnism has questionable moral underpinnings. So it's almost like the people who don't care are never going to change it's not even on their radar, but the people who get offended and try to make you justify your position maybe are closer in some way?

It's counterintuitive but I think it has some validity. So, if you feel like it, maybe don't avoid these conversations entirely. As others have said, pick your battles and keep on fighting the good fight :)

And watch Earthling Ed for how not to take things personally and retain your composure Under Fire! After all, it isn't about us, it's about those we are trying to protect. Best of luck.

I agree. the people who find veganism offensive probably feel guilty about it deep down. They tell themselves being vegan is too hard (or something). But vegans are living breathing examples that it isn't.

Never been a better time to be vegan/plant based! We've been trying to tell people the reasons they shouldn't confine, breed and eat animals and now it's all out in the open!

I've had the same issue. And I'm just a vegan-ish vegetarian. Not only that, but I've been attacked by vegans who assume I'm an omnivore. Once someone goes in that direction, I'd rather just disengage than let them know I also eat a plant-based diet. I know that dietary choices hinge on all kinds of stuff (medical issues, culture, access to food options, philosophy, etc). I can't imagine attacking someone's choices.

Since I've been veg for a long time, I see that some of the omnivores who've attacked me are now suffering from serious health issues or have passed away. My health keeps improving. I struggle to convince people that I really am the age that I am. So I have empathy for the people who've attacked me. Consciously or not, maybe they were jealous of my ability to think for myself and make healthy choices. Or maybe that's not a fair judgment to make. But seeing the long-term trajectory adds a certain perspective to things.

I think that people tend to attack anything that stands out as different, especially if it can be viewed as an accomplishment (even/especially if they disagree with that for political/philosophical reasons). You just have to deal with it to the best of your ability, try to avoid those people, and stand up for yourself if it ever goes too far.

I like to point out that what I eat doesn't affect them, so it's none of their business. And that I'm not judging them or trying to convince them to go veg. And if they don't respond to that, I just take it as an attempt to engage me in some kind of power-tripping nonsense, and I avoid them.