Non-vegan food

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello 👋,
I keep going to and fro from veggie to vegan. Today, I am veggie. I bought some non-vegan cheeses and other bits at the grocery store, but I’d like to go back to vegan again. What should I do with them? Would it be unethical to use them up?
I’m surprised this sort of situation isn’t brought up more online. I hear about what to do with non-vegan clothing (etc), but not so much what to do with pre-bought non-vegan food after one decides to go vegan. Why is this not brought up more?
Please help.

Just eat the gd cheese. The mistake was to buy it in the first place. Eating it doesn't harm any animal. although it might not be that good for you. When you bought it you contributed to the animal livestock industry. Throwing it out doesn't benefit anyone or anything.

People don't go vegan overnight. (Well most of the time. I've read about exceptions.) they decide to go vegan and then just stop buying non vegan stuff. Most of them finish up the food and house hold products they have and then replace them with vegan stuff. I've been vegan a long time and I still have leather boots and jackets I bought 20 years ago.

I am also a proponent that veganism is all about intent. If you want to be a vegan, POOF!. You are a vegan. Of course if you REALLY want to be vegan you have to try not to buy any cheese. :)

But if you are really trying not to buy cheese -but still do - that's ok. we all go thru rough spots on the vegan highway.

However, you have been posting about cheese problems since I got here. Maybe you are a Wallace Vegan. you are vegan except for The Cheese. 😜

🧀

Hello 👋,
I keep going to and fro from veggie to vegan. Today, I am veggie. I bought some non-vegan cheeses and other bits at the grocery store, but I’d like to go back to vegan again. What should I do with them? Would it be unethical to use them up?
I’m surprised this sort of situation isn’t brought up more online. I hear about what to do with non-vegan clothing (etc), but not so much what to do with pre-bought non-vegan food after one decides to go vegan. Why is this not brought up more?
Please help.
It's in the purchase that is unethical. If you continue to buy products, have regret, give them away, it seems unlikely you'll stop.
What do you think about making rules for yourself -- as in planning to eat cheese under certain rules/circumstances?
Pizza was the last thing I ok'd myself--as in when friends, or work, got cheese pizza I would eat it. At first I looked forward to those occasions, then I started to feel guilt, and it was easier to quit. I still look longingly at dairy cheese on pizza, but it's a different feeling, it's not like compulsion, and I don't regret not having it

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I also went back and forth between vegetarian and vegan. When I was vegetarian, I would limit the non-vegan food I had, so I could get used to eating vegan.
If I am in the process of going vegan, then I will quit it cold turkey. I gave the dairy to my mom and she ate it.
Going cold turkey helps, imo, so you're not tempted to keep buying and eating dairy. The important part of quitting cheese is having something to replace it with. Cheese is pretty addicting, but I can also have other foods that will make me happy. The thing is you have to find what works for you. What vegan foods do you enjoy?

Hello 👋,
Please help.

Hi Rory17,

Throw out the cheese. Normally, I would advise a new vegan to eat what's in the fridge, because, as Lou pointed out, the damage is done when you purchase animal products. But you are not a new vegan. You are also not a vegetarian who is transitioning to veganism. You are a struggling vegan, who, like all human beings, is imperfect and has made a mistake.

By throwing out the cheese, you will accomplish two things:
1. You will teach yourself that purchasing cheese is a waste of money; and
2. You will avoid destroying your vegan taste buds and re-addicting yourself to cheese.

In the future, if you happen to buy cheese again, as soon as you start feeling guilt about it, throw it in the trash. Pause for a moment to feel the guilt and to contemplate what it is trying to teach you. Then, let the guilt go, and move on with your life, reassuring yourself that you are in control and are choosing to live your life according to your principles.

The reason you keep going back to eating cheese is that you are caught in a cycle of guilt. Here is how I believe the cycle works: first, you have a weak moment and buy cheese; then, you feel guilty and decide to go back to being a perfect vegan; then, after a while, you resent all the guilt and buy cheese again. You need to break this cycle.

Guilt is a useful emotion, in that it tells us we have done something that is inconsistent with our principles. But when you dwell on it and beat yourself up, guilt stops being useful and becomes counterproductive. This is why, as many vegan leaders have pointed out, shaming non-vegans is not an effective way to make them vegan. Just as we cannot shame other people into veganism, we cannot shame ourselves into being better vegans. We can only resolve to do our best at any given time.

Please don't beat yourself up any longer. You are a vegan because you are doing your best to live your life in such a way as to cause the least harm to animals. You are, however, human, and sometimes you make mistakes. No one is ever going to admit it on a vegan forum, but anyone who has been vegan for a while has made a few mistakes. The right thing to do is to learn from those mistakes so that we can avoid repeating them. Veganism is not about being perfect and superhuman; it's about the animals. It's about our behavior, not about our identity.

Good luck, and take care!

Hi Rory17,

Throw out the cheese. Normally, I would advise a new vegan to eat what's in the fridge, because, as Lou pointed out, the damage is done when you purchase animal products. But you are not a new vegan. You are also not a vegetarian who is transitioning to veganism. You are a struggling vegan, who, like all human beings, is imperfect and has made a mistake.

By throwing out the cheese, you will accomplish two things:
1. You will teach yourself that purchasing cheese is a waste of money; and
2. You will avoid destroying your vegan taste buds and re-addicting yourself to cheese.

In the future, if you happen to buy cheese again, as soon as you start feeling guilt about it, throw it in the trash. Pause for a moment to feel the guilt and to contemplate what it is trying to teach you. Then, let the guilt go, and move on with your life, reassuring yourself that you are in control and are choosing to live your life according to your principles.

The reason you keep going back to eating cheese is that you are caught in a cycle of guilt. Here is how I believe the cycle works: first, you have a weak moment and buy cheese; then, you feel guilty and decide to go back to being a perfect vegan; then, after a while, you resent all the guilt and buy cheese again. You need to break this cycle.

Guilt is a useful emotion, in that it tells us we have done something that is inconsistent with our principles. But when you dwell on it and beat yourself up, guilt stops being useful and becomes counterproductive. This is why, as many vegan leaders have pointed out, shaming non-vegans is not an effective way to make them vegan. Just as we cannot shame other people into veganism, we cannot shame ourselves into being better vegans. We can only resolve to do our best at any given time.

Please don't beat yourself up any longer. You are a vegan because you are doing your best to live your life in such a way as to cause the least harm to animals. You are, however, human, and sometimes you make mistakes. No one is ever going to admit it on a vegan forum, but anyone who has been vegan for a while has made a few mistakes. The right thing to do is to learn from those mistakes so that we can avoid repeating them. Veganism is not about being perfect and superhuman; it's about the animals. It's about our behavior, not about our identity.

Good luck, and take care!
Very well said @poivron!

• Agree
Hello 👋,
Please help.
I'm more on the side to give it away to a neighbor or as food donation. If you've been an cheese lover addict previously it will only take you further from your goals. The ethics right now don't really matter if it will damage the ethics of the future.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956 and Danielle