News ... Armed cattlemen militia in Oregon takes over wildlife refuge

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hmm, have not seen this mentioned yet here on the forum, but it seems to be breaking news (however not well represented in the US).

WTF Is Happening in the Oregon Militia Standoff, Explained

My impression is that, had muslims or BLM been involved, this would have been characterized as terrorism immediately, and the FBI, the national guard and everybody else who can hold a gun would already be there...
But as those are just good white guys who are making our hamburgers..... up to now, it seems the authorities are happy to let them go ahead ...

Of course, some of the Republican presidential hopefuls have been supportive of them in the past (let's see how they will react now)

Meet The 5 Republican Presidential Hopefuls Who Support The Armed Bundy “Militia” And Domestic Terrorism

Last edited:
Hmm, have not seen this mentioned yet here on the forum, but it seems to be breaking news (however not well represented in the US).

WTF Is Happening in the Oregon Militia Standoff, Explained

My impression is that, had muslims or BLM been involved, this would have been characterized as terrorism immediately, and the FBI, the national guard and everybody else who can hold a gun would already be there...
But as those are just good white guys who are making our hamburgers..... up to now, it seems the authorities are happy to let them go ahead ...

Of course, some of the Republican presidential hopefuls have been supportive of them in the past (let's see how they will react now)

Meet The 5 Republican Presidential Hopefuls Who Support The Armed Bundy “Militia” And Domestic Terrorism
I don't think any BLM protests have been classified as terrorism.

Ledboots, I was trying to think what would happen if BLM protesters (as in Black Lives Matter, not Anti-Bureau-of-Land-Management as it is actually the case in this one) were to arm themselves and take over a government office. But yeah, that is conjecture.

On the other hand, the National Guard was called in quickly in Ferguson (because there was looting, which is supposedly much worse than sedition)

Well, looting is stealing from and burning the actual businesses, right? That is different from a takeover of an environmental office. No one is ignoring these people because of white privilege. Oregon is a pretty white state save a few areas.

Ledboots, I was trying to think what would happen if BLM protesters (as in Black Lives Matter, not Anti-Bureau-of-Land-Management as it is actually the case in this one) were to arm themselves and take over a government office. But yeah, that is conjecture.

On the other hand, the National Guard was called in quickly in Ferguson (because there was looting, which is supposedly much worse than sedition)

You're in Malaysia, is that right? I see you like to discuss American politics. What is with the sedition reference? [Googles, oh now I see why...]

--------

"The biggest threat to free speech [in Malaysia] comes from the government’s redoubled use of the Sedition Act to prosecute activists and political opponents for making statements critical of the government, its political leaders, or the prime minister’s party, United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), or for remarks the government considers to be derogatory toward Malaysia’s sultans or disrespectful of religion.

From January 2013 to November 2014, the government charged at least 20 people with sedition, including four opposition members of parliament. Charges were also brought against state assemblymen, community and NGO activists, Internet bloggers, an academic, and others. Four people, including the late jurist Karpal Singh, were convicted of sedition for remarks and several were sentenced to prison or fined."
------

Reactions: Andy_T
OMG, don't get me started on "sedition" in Malaysia!!!

We have lots of that here ... either when that law is used as a tool to quiet the opposition :( or what everybody in his right mind would really consider to be sedition, when idiots close to the government use inciting rhethoric to keep at power and try to rile up the public opinion against either Chinese, Christians, Jews, Foreigners or whoever :mad:
The latter one, is, of course, always deemed by the courts to be perfectly legitimate, after all, those concerned people were only speaking up for Islam, so they get a little more leeway....

Believe me, I am a big supporter of Muslims' rights to lead a normal life without prejudice and persecution (which is often very hard in many places), but living in what can only be called a Muslim dictatorship (albeit officially a democratic country with elections and everything) often makes me wonder....

No, I was referring to that....
Bundy Oregon Standoff Should Be Treated As Sedition

Last edited:
All of them should be considered terrorists and spend time in a federal prison.

You're in Malaysia, is that right? I see you like to discuss American politics. What is with the sedition reference?

I didn't realize that there is a site policy against discussing the politics of any country other than the one in which a given member happens to live.

Personally, I think it would be a step forward if all of us were less insular and better informed about what is going on worldwide.

As to the sedition reference - maybe in the course of your googling, you came across the definition of sedition. It's a word that has long been used (and aptly so) to describe the activities of the militias.

It's interesting that a bunch of grown-*** armed men can occupy a public building with the stated intention of holding it indefinitely under threat of force and the response from authorities (and the media and the public) is so muted as to be practically nonexistent, while the shooting of a kid "armed" with a toy gun on a playground is deemed justifiable use of force.

Reactions: Amy SF
I guess the respective authorities are waiting for them to be brought down by lack of snacks, snocks, energy drinks (and presumably toilet paper).

I wish they would take such a relaxed standpoints against other protests....

But...

534145_1191576717523374_3554046731832356576_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just a bunch of ranchers who are butt hurt over the fact that they can't use (gov't owned) public land for free.

As if the meat industry isn't subsidized enough.

The Bundys and the Irony of American Vigilantism - The New Yorker

"Ammon Bundy, leader of the occupying group, and his father, the Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, belong to a long-simmering Western populist movement that has never accepted limits on the private exploitation of public lands."

"The grazing fees that Cliven Bundy refuses to pay are so much cheaper than the market rate that they have been estimated as amounting to a ninety-three per cent subsidy."

I am surprised to hear that on the third day of their occupation, they actually still have power provided to the wildlife reserve they are occupying, and the authorities are now "considering to cut it off".

Were the FBI agents handling this incident on a long weekend so far or has it just not occured to them yet that this might be an efficient method to end this?

Turning off the power would deprive them of the ability to charge their cell phones. They would be unable to call for Pop Tarts and Oreos to sustain them.

Reactions: Mischief