Newborn vegan baby

KraftD

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi there,

My wife and I of 13 wonderful years have reached a cross roads in our marriage when we recently became pregnant with our first child. We are both vegan and would like to uphold the same standards for our child, so we are both in much debate on weather or not to breast feed our child when she comes. I feel we should considering the health benefits it provides in the early stages of life however my wife disagrees stating that it doesn't uphold our beliefs and values as a family and has went on to tell me it's her body and therefore her choice.

Help!

In what way does breastfeeding not uphold your/her beliefs and values?

Reactions: Lou
I understand there are plenty of myths and misconceptions.
So let's look at what the experts say.

"Breastmilk is the number one choice for many new moms, including vegan ones. It contains antibodies that protect babies from infection, plays a role in the prevention of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and can lower a child’s risk of developing asthma and allergies later in life. Many vegan mothers are asked if they plan to breastfeed their babies, with the misunderstanding that vegans eschew even human milk. But whether to breastfeed is a choice that humans get to make, while cows and other animals abused for dairy production don’t."
- PETA

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first six months of your baby’s life. It is also recommended that you continue to breastfeed until your child is at least two years old.
- Vegan Society

Vegans think that a mother’s milk is the perfect food… for her baby.
Humans’ milk is the perfect food for human babies. Goats’ milk is the perfect food for goats. Sheep’s milk is the perfect food for lambs.
- Cadry's Kitchen

"Many vegans actually push the importance of breastfeeding, regardless of the baby potentially losing their "vegan" status according to some. Some debate that the reason vegans don't eat animal products but human fluids (including but not limited to breast milk) can be considered vegan is because you can obtain consent."
- Cafe mom.

Mothers, and others, often wonder if a vegan diet is sufficient to support the nutritional needs of a breastfeeding mother and her baby. It may be useful to consider that in many parts of the world a vegan diet is the norm and mothers and babies in those cultures have been healthy for thousands of years.
- LLLC

Baby Starved by vegan mother
Snopes: False
The older daughter died of Pneumonia that was untreated. The younger daughter was found to be in perfect health
"I saw an eight-month-old child breastfed by her vegan mother and found her in perfect health," The doctor said

A vegetarian or vegan mother does not need to take any special dietary precautions as long as she is maintaining a diet with adequate amounts of vitamin B12, calcium and zinc. This is something that mom needs to do for herself, even if she is not breastfeeding.
- Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

Natalie Portman breastfed her daughter during a meeting
and it was apparently 'elegant'
As Dakhil, a CAA agent, explained, “Only in true Natalie Portman elegance and strength — she was breastfeeding in one hand and planning the Golden Globes on the other.”
- Yahoo News

I don't understand her reasoning. Human milk is for human babies and gives them the best start at life. It's also free where formula (especially vegan formula) is super expensive. My son was breastfed and he was not as sick as other children (even breastfed him when I got sick and he never got sick). Even now that he's almost five he rarely gets sick and when he does it's completely over in 24 hours. I breasfed him for 18 months. It's also an amazing bonding experience between mother and child.

If she is uncomfortable at the thought of breastfeeding she can also just pump milk and use a bottle.

I don't understand her reasoning. Human milk is for human babies and gives them the best start at life. It's also free where formula (especially vegan formula) is super expensive. My son was breastfed and he was not as sick as other children (even breastfed him when I got sick and he never got sick). Even now that he's almost five he rarely gets sick and when he does it's completely over in 24 hours. I breasfed him for 18 months. It's also an amazing bonding experience between mother and child.

If she is uncomfortable at the thought of breastfeeding she can also just pump milk and use a bottle.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking she doesn't think/know that breastfeeding is vegan. I wouldn't call it a common misconception. but it is one that some people have. I also didn't think it was a misconception among vegans - just the general population. It does have an internal logic. animal products are not vegan. human breast milk is an animal product. hence breast milk is not vegan.

the quote from Cafe Mom addressed the misconception. There is also a myth that is out there on the internet that vegan babies have died from malnutrition. And that babies have died from breastfeeding. I have never looked into it in detail. But I did the Snopes thing and it is based on some fact but mostly just wrong.

I honestly think it's weird to claim that breastfeeding isn't vegan. It makes me wonder if there's a deeper reason she doesn't want to.

it's her body and therefore her choice

Yep. By all means make your case, but this isn't the place for you to draw a line in the sand.

Congratulations and good luck to you both :)