Nicolemarie3

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everybody! I’m new to this forum, and new to veganism. I’ve slowly transitioned into going 100%. No meat, and no dairy (I have a severe dairy allergy as it is). I’m feeling so good, and I’m finding I have more energy which is great. I also feel like I’m doing something good for the planet as well, which I’m sure a lot of you can agree on

I’ve gone vegan, in all honesty, because I am very much against animal cruelty and it just so happens I can’t eat dairy and I’ve never been a huge meat eater. So it works out. My question is, how many of you have experienced weight loss? This is NOT why I’ve gone vegan, just to clarify. But I’ve noticed more bloating than anything. I’m eating plant based. I won’t eat processed food. I’m a bit overweight and I’d love to drop weight. If anybody has some advice on what to avoid (certain oils, too many fruits? other foods...etc) that would be awesome!

I’m happy to be a part of this forum. It’s nice to have a few people to chat with and relate to

I started going vegan in April (I think) of last year. I was damn near close to 200lbs at that point. We went vegan for health reasons as my husband cholesterol was over 300 at one point. I've lost about 40lbs since then. I've just recently started using way less cooking oil. I've been steaming and using water to cook with instead. We also eat less processed stuff and I'm more active now. I still want to lose 30 more lbs and at least 15lbs before the holiday season starts up again.

As for our diet we eat a lot of beans (mostly red lentils, black beans and garbanzo beans), veggies, some fruit and rice. Been doing the cauliflower rice as well (my husband doesn't like a lot of carbs in his meals sometimes).

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Hello!
I've been eating plant based for month and a half and haven't dropped even a pound. Calorie cut was enormous, but weight just won't budge. So answers interest me too.
The only thing that can be seen from outside is that my tummy looks a lot smaller as it is now almost never bloated.

Welcome to the forum!

From my understanding of a whole foods plant-based diet, you should either highly restrict or eliminate altogether, salt, oil and sugar, which is better known as SOS free WFPBD. They also recommend you either don't eat nuts or that you limit your intake of nuts to a small handful a day...if that. They also suggest that things like avocados can be counterproductive to weight loss.

Chef AJ has lots to say about eating a WFPBD and weight loss. There's a heap more great YouTube Channels, but her channel has lots of info on weight loss and the common mistakes new vegans have when trying to lose a bit of weight...or a lot, even.

If you don't rinse your beans extremely well, they will cause bad gas and bloating. Certain fruits and veggies can also create excessive gas and bloating. I love cherries, but they sometimes give me unwanted side effects, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Emma JC
welcome to the forum, Nicole Marie, and congrats on your decision to now be 100%.

You have received some good advice from the previous posters and I would back up the SOS restrictions (especially the oil) as well. As you have been transitioning gradually you may not have the same weight loss that some of us that went cold turkey, hmmmm cold hummus, did.

In order to lose weight, calories in must be less than calories out so maybe track your activities levels and your calories, just for a short time (I am not a calorie counter) so that you can see how they match. I have gone back up about 4 pounds over the past 8 months and there isn't any mystery as to why, I am sitting in front of the computer far too much and don't have high enough activity levels. If I remedy that situation I know that I could drop those pounds and a few more.

Good luck!

Emma JC

Reactions: Heather Milnes
Hello and Welcome!

It's good you are vegan because you care about animals. I don't think a vegan diet will cause weight loss in itself but you should be careful what you eat. I'm vegan and I managed to slim from over 200 pounds to about 128. Just avoid having too much fried and fatty food. Although I think you shouldn't cut out pleasure foods altogether because you might lose too much weight. Also it leaves nothing to look forward to.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hey, Nicole Marie!

Read your post and my eyes got stuck on the line where you said "More bloating than anything".

That's normal as your gut adjusts to the fibre you're getting.

Something that might be of interest: fructose may cause bloating. So if you increased fruit intake it could be that your gut is a bit overwhelmed. Increasing carbs (fruit, veg wholegrains) could cause more bloat too.

There is something called FODMAPs that are compounds found in foods derived from plants which can cause bloating.

Something to be aware of and observe a little how you feel after eating and when the sensation that you are bloated appears.

Hope this helps.

Best,
V

Reactions: Lou
Thank you everybody!!! I’m so happy to have such great advice from you guys!

For dinner tonight, I made a quinoa salad...with corn, peppers, zucchini and onion. I used vegetable stock to soak the quinoa. Would you guys consider that a successful weight loss meal? Quinoa is so filling, and the recipe called for a cup and a half...I didn’t even eat half of that! Is the veg stock too high in sodium? Also, to cut out sugars...i know fruit has a lot of sugars. Is that part of what should be cut? I know they’re natural sugars. As for bloating, more fiber intake makes a lotttt of sense!!

Again, thank you guys so much. I’m happy to be a part of this forum :)

Last edited:
welcome to the forum, Nicole Marie, and congrats on your decision to now be 100%.

You have received some good advice from the previous posters and I would back up the SOS restrictions (especially the oil) as well. As you have been transitioning gradually you may not have the same weight loss that some of us that went cold turkey, hmmmm cold hummus, did.

In order to lose weight, calories in must be less than calories out so maybe track your activities levels and your calories, just for a short time (I am not a calorie counter) so that you can see how they match. I have gone back up about 4 pounds over the past 8 months and there isn't any mystery as to why, I am sitting in front of the computer far too much and don't have high enough activity levels. If I remedy that situation I know that I could drop those pounds and a few more.

Good luck!

Emma JC

Thank you everybody!!! I’m so happy to have such great advice from you guys!

For dinner tonight, I made a quinoa salad...with corn, peppers, zucchini and onion. I used vegetable stock to soak the quinoa. Would you guys consider that a successful weight loss meal? Quinoa is so filling, and the recipe called for a cup and a half...I didn’t even eat half of that! Is the veg stock too high in sodium? Also, to cut out sugars...i know fruit has a lot of sugars. Is that part of what should be cut? I know they’re natural sugars. As for bloating, more fiber intake makes a lotttt of sense!!

Again, thank you guys so much. I’m happy to be a part of this forum :)

That sounds like a great dinner!! Tonight is our pasta night so lotsa garlic coming up....

Be sure to rinse the quinoa well and if you make rice, same! Homemade pea soup or lentils etc - all should be rinsed thoroughly until no more bubbles come off of it.

We are happy you are here!

Emma JC

That sounds like a great dinner!! Tonight is our pasta night so lotsa garlic coming up....

Be sure to rinse the quinoa well and if you make rice, same! Homemade pea soup or lentils etc - all should be rinsed thoroughly until no more bubbles come off of it.

We are happy you are here!

Emma JC

Thank goodness!! I wasn’t sure if the vegetable stock was too high in sodium for weight loss. As for fruit, should I limit it?

And thank you!! I read that you should always rinse those types of food reallllly well. Thank you!!

Vegetable stock can be extremely high in sodium, we are lucky enough to have access to a very low sodium veggie stock, it is sold only in Quebec. Trying to find the lowest sodium stock you can is a great idea.

If you aren't eating "pounds" of fruit every day then I wouldn't be too concerned. According to Dr Greger's Daily Dozen, we should consume at least one serving of berries per day and then 3 servings of other fruits and he includes tomatoes and avocado in the fruit section.

Emma JC

Vegetable stock can be extremely high in sodium, we are lucky enough to have access to a very low sodium veggie stock, it is sold only in Quebec. Trying to find the lowest sodium stock you can is a great idea.

If you aren't eating "pounds" of fruit every day then I wouldn't be too concerned. According to Dr Greger's Daily Dozen, we should consume at least one serving of berries per day and then 3 servings of other fruits and he includes tomatoes and avocado in the fruit section.

Emma JC

I got low sodium. But I might just replace it with water next time honestly.

Lol and thank gooooodness!! I love fruit!! Thank you so much for giving me advice. I love being vegan. I feel great after a month, my energy levels are so much higher and I honestly feel so happy that I’m accomplishing something.

Reactions: Heather Milnes
I started going vegan in April (I think) of last year. I was damn near close to 200lbs at that point. We went vegan for health reasons as my husband cholesterol was over 300 at one point. I've lost about 40lbs since then. I've just recently started using way less cooking oil. I've been steaming and using water to cook with instead. We also eat less processed stuff and I'm more active now. I still want to lose 30 more lbs and at least 15lbs before the holiday season starts up again.

As for our diet we eat a lot of beans (mostly red lentils, black beans and garbanzo beans), veggies, some fruit and rice. Been doing the cauliflower rice as well (my husband doesn't like a lot of carbs in his meals sometimes).

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your journey!! I’m doing a lot of the same. My weakness is Oreos lol I cut that out about two weeks ago though. It’s hard because my two daughters looooove Oreos.

Congrats on your weight loss! I might follow note of your advice. I do a lotttt of quinoa instead of rice, as it had a lot of protein in it. I might start steaming too. I think I just need to find more healthier recipes. I’ve made some reallllly great meals, all involve black beans and most involve quinoa.

Thank goodness!! I wasn’t sure if the vegetable stock was too high in sodium for weight loss. As for fruit, should I limit it?

And thank you!! I read that you should always rinse those types of food reallllly well. Thank you!!
I don't think you really need any stock if you are vegan/vegetarian. Perhaps add a herb or 2, whatever is appropriate to the dish. I love oregano, rosemary, curry powder and also use a lot of turmeric for its health properties - it has a subtle taste (I even add it to my muesli).
Your body needs salt and it also needs oil, so don't cut these out completely.
If you like fruit, enjoy it with a clear conscience and the same goes for all vegetables.
Don't eat anything that your great grandmother didn't eat. I doubt if she ate oreos! Avoid anything made in a factory, sold in a packet or sold with more than 3 or 4 added ingredients. Avoid sugar, it does more harm than smoking!
For breakfast I eat muesli or porridge with added nuts and seeds. I also have 3 pieces of fruit.
For my other meal I eat an enormous salad with beans (either in the salad or separately. and more fruit.
I also eat yoghurt at most meals.
No snacks!
That's it.