New to veganism

JoeHerbertByrne

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everyone - I have recently made the transition to veganism and feel great ever since!

I don't find it hard to not eat animal products/dairy because I stand strong with my beliefs, the only thing that I'm trying to get used to is 'what to eat'. I am currently taking B12 supplements whilst having pasta, potato based food etc.

Has anyone got any advice on food/other supplements that they eat/take?

Thanks everyone!

Hello Joe welcome to the forums :)

I sometimes take B12 tables like these... They also come with a lot of other vitamins.

Other than that when I'm not taking them I drink tea with soy milk that has been fortified so it comes with B12 and others check your local supermarket they'll probably have some, have it with tea or cereal or anything you used milk with, there are others if you do not like soy check out this thread.

As long as you get enough B12 you can pretty much get everything else you need from plants :)

Thanks Damo

I actually went into Holland and Barrett yesterday and picked up 'Vegan' supplements which give you all the vitamins you need including b12, iron etc.

Thanks for the help, just need to find some great meals now!

Reactions: Damo
No problem :D

As I mentioned before all you need is B12 so I rarely take them as I drink and eat foods that have been fortified with B12, if you need any ideas for food or with anything else we'll help :)

Hello,

I was vegetarian for a year and a week ago I decided that I don't need animal products anymore and turned vegan. It was only a week and my flatmate already mentioned that I have dark circles around my eyes.. I didn't really noticed since he told me. Maybe anyone would know if it is a lack of some vitamins that I do not get enough? My lifestyle and routine didn't really changed and I get enough sleep as usual.

Thank you ! :*

Thank you very much Damo :) I will definitely try it. I knew that coconut oil is magic!

Reactions: Damo
You could try Marmite or vegemite which helps boost b12 levels. It is an acquired taste and although you can add it in your cooking, I do like to have it on toast.

You can actually eat it raw with a spoon, some people may think that sounds weird, but it actually tastes really good. Yes, I have eaten it raw with a spoon from the jar!

Welcome to veganism Joe! You should consider it an adventure, because there are so many foods and tastes to enjoy. You can go from simple salads, with different fixings and sauces, to wonderful steamed veggies with salt and olive oil or soy cheeses; or heartier dishes like lasagna or veggie burgers. I like beans, and chili's and I make burgers with the beans too. Sky is the limit and there are tons of blogs with simple vegan recipes.
Iron is important for the bags under the eyes Kristina and a sppoon of blacksrap molasses a day will help and has other supporting minerals in it as well.

I am also new and I have these same questions as well. I truly appreciate these comments here and I wish you all well on your road to good health. We can get there if we only tell ourselves that we will.

Hi everyone - I have recently made the transition to veganism and feel great ever since!

I don't find it hard to not eat animal products/dairy because I stand strong with my beliefs, the only thing that I'm trying to get used to is 'what to eat'. I am currently taking B12 supplements whilst having pasta, potato based food etc.

Has anyone got any advice on food/other supplements that they eat/take?

Thanks everyone!
This book will save your (cooking) life.
Leiths_Vegetarian_Bible_Large.jpg

For supplements maybe you should have a look at this.