Literature New novel by "The Martian" author, Andy Weir....

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
9780553448122_custom-d8cf7964d63e6360d66a5d8d7678e514019531f0-s400-c85.jpg

Andy Weir Aims To Duplicate His Martian Success With 'Artemis'

I, for one, look forward to reading this when it comes out in paperback.... :)

Am reading it now.

Very different from "The Martian", more like James S. A. Corey's "Expanse", but a bit more on the light-hearted side, not as grim.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
i read his first novel and enjoyed it but to me he felt like a one hit wonder. it's a unique style but i imagined he would just repeat it. it would be good if he did something different not just in setting but style.

It is quite different!

Only common thing is that it is in space, but it is set at some point in the future where a big colony of humans is living on the moon.

OK, book was a page turner, but "meh" in my opinion.
The one thing I was not too happy about: Cultural appropriation :(

Weir's hero in the book is called Jazz, and she supposedly is a 20something woman of Saudi origin with a devout muslim father. Now, just writing that, but keeping the tone of the book similar to that of "The Martian" (a nerdy bloke with some quick, sarcastic, humour) means to me that he simply (in my opinion) did not pull that off.

Granted, I can not give an example of the correct style I expect from a 20something Saudi woman who has grown up on the moon myself, but IMO neither can Weir. So why bother with it, apart from the other concerns? :pout: