New here

Newbie7

Newcomer
Reaction score
So I'm fat and decided to see if a vegetarian diet will help my health. Any recommendations for how to start a vegetarian way of eating. I'm gonna do a 10 day juicing fast to start.

Reactions: Second Summer
Welcome to VV! Silva offers some great reading. Here are some other tips: Cut down on processed foods, which can contain a lot of hidden sodium, sugar and fat; eat more slowly, as you fill up faster when you do, thereby decreasing the amount of food you eat; plate your food on a lunch-size dish if you have one, rather than a full-size plate, as it makes it look like you have a lot more food; stop when you're full; if you drink soda, see if you can cut down on that or eliminate it if possible; drink more water; if you are able, increase your physical activity and make sure it's something fun that you enjoy doing and maybe join up with someone else who wants to get healthy so you can work together and provide each other with motivation. Try to think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a temporary change in your eating habits. I try to think of food as fuel for my body, and giving your body healthy food will help it work better.

Best of luck!

Reactions: KLS52
Hi Newbie7! I second minimizing processed foods as much as possible, and sticking to whole plant foods. Use fresh or dried fruit as a sweetener in place of sugar. utilize spices...garlic powder, cumin, oregano, turmeric, chili powder, rosemary etc instead of salt. Over time your taste buds will change and you won't crave junk food as much, as long as you enjoy the food you are eating. It's also important to be sure you get enough protein and healthy fats (whole nuts, seeds and nut/seed butters, avocado, olives etc) for satiety and energy. Beans are a protein staple for a plant based lifestyle. Whole grains also have a good bit of protein, such as oats, brown rice, millet, barley, quinoa, as do green veggies. And of course, you want to fill at least half your plate with vegetables and fruits.

Though I am not religious, I like to share this particular recipe site (which is from the Christian Vegetarian Association) because there is little if any added sugar, oil, etc in their recipes, and the recipes are mostly whole foods and use ingredients you have heard of. Vegan - Vegetarian Recipes From All-Creatures.org Vegetarian Vegan Recipe Book

I'm not overweight and have never been, but I have a long history of an eating disorder and I am somewhat against the whole fasting idea. I've never known anyone to sustain weight loss from fasting, especially long term. I have known plenty of people, myself included, who have suffered numerous consequences of starving and binge eating as a result. Fasting and hard restricting long term can lead to hormonal imbalances in insulin, leptin, and gherlin, all related to appetite and how we process food, and it makes it easier to trigger overeating to compensate. It's very hard to get out of this merri go round of fasting, then bingeing from depravity. I also know that over time, restricting intake too low leads to a much slower metabolism over time and when you do eat more, even a normal amount, you body holds on to ever calorie. My metabolism is nowhere near as high and active as it used to be, and I gain weight on amounts of food most people maintain on, despite lots of exercise daily (of course for me some of that is age, surgical menopause, hypothyroidism etc). Just be sure you eat enough and enjoy the food you eat. you will be more likely to stick with it.

When I first went vegan I thought of all the naturally vegan foods I loved...oats, sweet potatoes, almonds, brussel sprouts, bananas etc. I based meals and snacks around those while learning new recipes and staples to keep on hand. I have at least a dozen or more recipes that utilize sweet potatoes and I still never get tired of them. :)

Best wishes!

Reactions: PTree15
:welcome:

As the others have said, concentrate on fresh foods and avoid processed foods and junk foods as much as possible.