My Egg Dilemma

Should I buy eggs for my family from the local place described in this post?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jamie in Chile

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Now my daughter eats less meat she eats more eggs than ever, so the actual amount of animal suffering has not necessarily been reduced.

I found a local producer with egg production basically in their large garden. It is only a few miles from my house to theirs. Bravial | Granja Familiar

Where it says "huevos de gallinas libres, solteras y felices" it means "eggs from free, single and happy hens". They have solar panels for their energy and say that they use no pesticides and fertilisers. She says she has 950 hens. You can see from the photo at the link above how much space they are in. At the time I visited the majority were indoors (although not hermetically sealed off as you can see) but some (maybe around 100) were outdoors. She didn´t let me see the indoor part because she said she didn´t have time to go through the safety protocols and suiting up in the 5 minutes I was there buying eggs.

I asked her about beginning of life when I visited. She says that she buys the hens and they get delivered at 10 weeks, so we don´t really know what their early life is like. I am not too thrilled about that. I asked about what she does when the hens are older and no longer productive. She says she gives them away to locals who use them to get started with egg production (this is when egg production has declined due to age, but is still enough for an amateur to get started by trying out an old hen available for free). There´s no (easy, fast,non-intrusive) way of finding out how many of these animals ultimately get killed and eaten and how many are looked after forever until they die of old age.

I asked if she ever sells any for meat. She says yes occasionally she has done, although she doesn´t like to.

I bought 30 eggs. My wife and daughter judged no difference in taste vs supermarket eggs.

They are around 30%-60% more expensive than supermarket eggs but that is not an issue for us. The carbon footprint and other environmental impact is quite likely lower than supermarket eggs.

I´m not going to be able to stop my wife buying supermarket eggs for now, and probably can´t persuade my daughter to give up eggs, but if I go and buy these eggs regularly then we won´t buy supermarket eggs. In the short term, that should mean reduced animal suffering.

However, there is some value to just saying to my daughter that she should just go vegan. The risk is that by buying these eggs I normalize the idea of eggs and create the arguably mostly false idea that there are good and bad eggs, which could cause her to continue eating eggs for longer and not go vegan. It´s the classic welfarist vs abolitionist debate in a way.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and 1956
For me personally, eggs are not bad inherently since the chickens lay them naturally. However even from organic free range farmers, was never able to get a guarantee that if a chicken got too old to lay or just didn't, that they will still live out their natural life and not be put down. If I could have my own chickens or know for a fact that they were never mistreated or killed, then being an ethical vegan I would be okay with them. However to be honest, gone without eggs for so long, eating them now seems kinda ......icky and I would likely gag thinking about it as I tried to eat anything.

tough choices, Jamie

if it was just your daughter and your wife was onboard with no eggs, it would be simpler, however if your wife eats eggs too then there really isn't any way to insist your daughter shouldn't

my only suggestion would be to try to eliminate meals that include eggs / find alternatives eg. this morning (when I get off here) I am going to make chick pea flour frittatas (they can also be made into omelettes) all the same tastes and no chicks harmed

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and 1956
I would probably go with the eggs from the farm. Before I moved I got eggs for husband and son through a close friend. I just felt better than buying them from the supermarket. I was also lucky because she only charged $3 a dozen. I pay more in the supermarket for organic, supposedly free range now. There a few people who raise chickens and sell eggs but since I don’t know them personally I feel a little weird not knowing how safe the eggs are. I trusted my friend because I’ve been to her house and she’s a clean freak and I got to hug/ kiss her chickens lol. I know that’s no guarantee. I just felt like it was safe.
1CA92979-AECE-4094-AC58-2342F075DCEE.jpeg

Hi Emma, A lot of the time the eggs are being eaten as eggs or just omelettes rather than recipes. My wife does most of the cooking and when needed my daughter prefers to do her own cooking rather than have me do it. At the moment I´m avoiding trying to butt in too much with the cooking because my wife has already done a lot to me over the years since my transition and makes better vegan food than I can. So you have to be fair.

Just thinking about the discussion going on over at the thread starting by Lou where he raised philosophical ethical frameworks, you could perhaps argue that this is yet another argument between a deontological position (eggs are not ethical OR the eggs from this farm are not ethical so don´t buy them) vs a utilitarian/consequentialist/least harm position (eggs are going to be consumed either way, so better to go with the least harm option).

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Just thinking about the discussion going on over at the thread starting by Lou where he raised philosophical ethical frameworks, you could perhaps argue that this is yet another argument between a deontological position (eggs are not ethical OR the eggs from this farm are not ethical so don´t buy them) vs a utilitarian/consequentialist/least harm position (eggs are going to be consumed either way, so better to go with the least harm option).
That is what I was thinking too.

I can't decide if I should be quoting Peter Singer or Jeremy Bentham at you.

WWPSD? (What would Peter Singer do?) WWJBD?

You know this might be a good example of illustrating the different philosophies. No trolly car necessary!
No imaginary people were harmed in the making of this decision.

Perhaps this is cheating, or maybe a little Gordian Knot cutting. But since eggs are not necessary and there are better PB alternatives you just have to get them not to eat eggs (Period). easier said than done?

If they are just eating eggs as breakfast food than maybe you need to introduce them to the many more healthy alternatives.

Hi Emma, A lot of the time the eggs are being eaten as eggs or just omelettes rather than recipes. My wife does most of the cooking and when needed my daughter prefers to do her own cooking rather than have me do it. At the moment I´m avoiding trying to butt in too much with the cooking because my wife has already done a lot to me over the years since my transition and makes better vegan food than I can. So you have to be fair.

I'm all for doing better. When Michael Pollans book the Omnivores Dillema came out there was more honest discussions on food and real action on change than anything I've witnessed from Peta or any health based plant promotion, or documentaries
I'd go with the eggs.
When people make an effort to go out of the way to more ethically source food it triggers questions--like why do I need this in the first place? If it's that much effort to have something done the right way would I be better off just not using it?

I realize you're saying you would be the one to purchase the eggs, not your wife, but I would hope it would light a thought in her head, or your daughters

It's even the difference in someone who hunts randomly and the real woods people who long track their animals based on age and health.

Interesting points. Well I am torn so I may just go with the opinions on here. 2 to zero is the current vote.

While I do feel your pain, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. You are feeling the guilt for someone else's desire to eat eggs. It certainly makes sense to try and reduce that harm, if possible, but you can't make them be vegan if they don't want to be. That is simply out of your control.

Ideally, it would be perfect to have a family that was completely onboard with your lifestyle, but that's not always the way, as we all know. However, it must be way tougher with spouse and children. For me, it's only a matter of mustering through the odd family event, BBQ, etc.

I wish you luck with this dilemma. Again, don't be too hard on yourself for the choices of others.