TV & Film Movie Lounge

yes, the thing is that we often start watching a movie while we are eating (couch potatoes) and so it is very challenging to watch subtitles and not miss either your mouth or something said on the screen

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I turn on the subtitles even when the movie is in English. Especially if its a British or Australian movie. Sometime I have a hard time making out what people on screen say.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Emma JC
I turn on the subtitles even when the movie is in English. Especially if its a British or Australian movie. Sometime I have a hard time making out what people on screen say.
I have been deaf in my left ear for as Long as I can remember, so many things on TV are hard for me to hear.
My problem is that I don’t know how to put the subtitles on!
Usually I watch Netflix on my iPad rather than the TV - which I could do - because that way it’s close to me!

A heart warming movie.
The movie title made me think that it's a horror movie and I steered away from it at first, but today I thought, why not and watched it. Didn't disappoint.
Karma is the name of one of the bhikkhunis.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
I have been deaf in my left ear for as Long as I can remember, so many things on TV are hard for me to hear.
My problem is that I don’t know how to put the subtitles on!
Usually I watch Netflix on my iPad rather than the TV - which I could do - because that way it’s close to me!
Why does it matter how close it is? don't you use headphones?

I no longer have an iPad, but I'm pretty sure to turn on subtitles on an iPad, start the movie and then tap the bottom of the screen. a control panel opens up. find the icon that looks like a comic book's character speech balloon (💬), tap on that, the controls for audio and subtitles are inside.
On your tv, start the movie, use your remote's up arrow to go to the top of screen. select the middle icon, it contains the controls for audio and subtitles.

:)

• Informative
Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
Why does it matter how close it is? don't you use headphones?

I no longer have an iPad, but I'm pretty sure to turn on subtitles on an iPad, start the movie and then tap the bottom of the screen. a control panel opens up. find the icon that looks like a comic book's character speech balloon (💬), tap on that, the controls for audio and subtitles are inside.
On your tv, start the movie, use your remote's up arrow to go to the top of screen. select the middle icon, it contains the controls for audio and subtitles.

:)
I have wanted to get headphones but they are in Stereo so I need A mono headphone ! Once we are out of lockdown I will start looking into it again. I know that I should look online but I just don’t Do online shopping!
Thanks for the tips I will try it when I feel Brave enough!

I have wanted to get headphones but they are in Stereo so I need A mono headphone ! Once we are out of lockdown I will start looking into it again. I know that I should look online but I just don’t Do online shopping!
Thanks for the tips I will try it when I feel Brave enough!
No special headphones necessary.

So on an iPad, (or a Mac) you do this:
  1. Go to Settings
    492fec5aff74dbdef9b526177c3804b4.png
    > Accessibility > Audio & Visual.
  2. Select Mono Audio

Both Chanels are combined and come out of both sides.

Your iPhone and your iPad also something else you might like.
Go to Settings
492fec5aff74dbdef9b526177c3804b4.png
> Accessibility > Audio & Visual.
Turn on Headphone Accomadations
Tap Custom Audio Setup, then follow the onscreen instructions. Or manually set any of the following:
  • Tune Audio For: Choose Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, or Brightness.
  • Level: Choose Slight, Moderate, or Strong amplification of soft sounds.
  • Phone: Apply these audio settings to phone calls.
  • Media: Apply these audio settings to media playback.
To preview your audio settings, tap Play Sample.

--
I âm a little hard of hearing and I find tuning it for Vocal Range really helps with phone calls.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and 1956
I haven't seen either of those movies. And I really like Julienne Moore.
but not watching Still Alice was a conscious decision. I read the book. and I made the unfortunate decision to finish it on a train. I think my sobbing alarmed my fellow passages.

watched Ladies in Black last night, new on Netflix, it was good, nothing too deep or too serious, set in the 50's in Australia, addresses some social issues

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

This was great. Inspired by a true story. Starring Naomi Watts and Andrew Lincoln. Samantha Bloom went on to win a kayaking championship. Of course, Penguin, the magpie, steals the show. 😍

Time Traveller's Wife

I've seen this movie before - its on Netflix now so I decided to revisit it. Its based on one of my favorite books. a lot of times I'm disappointed with movie adaptions but this one is great. The movie feels hurried at times, but they have a lot of material to get thru. Even so they have to leave out a lot of stuff. But everything else is great.

I'll give it 5 stars. I'm not sure if people who haven't read the book will like is as much.

if you haven't read the book - you should.

although I may be in the minority there. From Wikipedia

Critical response

The film has received mixed reviews from critics for the same reasons as the novel, praising the characterization of the couple, applauding their emotional depth; others criticized the melodramatic style and the plot as emotionally trite.[19] Based on 158 reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes, The Time Traveler's Wife has a 39% approval rating from critics, with an average score of 5.11/10 saying, "Though it may satisfy fans of the novel, The Time Traveler's Wife's plot's contrivances and illogical narrative hamper its big screen effectiveness".[20] Metacritic, another review aggregator which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 top reviews from mainstream critics, gives the film an average score of 47 based on 31 reviews.[19]

7.1 on IMDB

Reactions: Emma JC