TV & Film Movie Lounge

Put PK on my list. May not have but your credibility went up 100% after liking Captain Fantastic. That is such a great movie. and that song... I love that song anyway but what a great rendition. When the little kid breaks out the harmonica....I started laughing and crying.

I also saw Leave No Trace and I can't say enough good things about it.
I forgot to mention that the movie also has a sort of an Romeo & Juliet storyline going on. The movie has a lot of everything going on, but it all goes well together.
The main character PK (Tipsy) is extremely likeable. If you fuse Spock, Edward Scissorhands and Mr. Bean together, you'll get Tipsy. In his home planet there is no speech, no facial expressions. Instead they read minds, so there is no deception or misunderstanding.
The musical parts were absolutely amazing and I really like Hindi. It reminds me slightly of Japanese for some reason.
I found explanation from this site: Hindi is like Japanese
In short, we have the familiar ka, ki, ku, ke, ko in Japanese and Hindi has ke, ka, ki, kee, ku, kri, ke, kae, ko, kaw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Emma JC
Mulan is awesome. For some reason I always must watch it in Finnish. Snow White and Cinderella are better in English.

hmmm it wasn't the cartoon version, it was the non-cartoon version

This afternoon we decided to watch my honey's all time favourite "Armadeggon" as it is on Disney+.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Skip ahead to around 9 minutes.

Mr. Mortensen is just one of the reasons to see this film about a family forced to leave their home in the woods and become reacquainted with society. Full review
Manohla Dargis
The NYTimes
Viggo Mortensen is at the top of his game in this family dramedy, shot through with humor and heart.Full review
Peter Travers
Rolling Stone
A fiercely original, pleasantly unpredictable character piece. This is a gang of outsiders with something valuable to say about the world we live in. Full review
Helen O'Hara
Empire

Just now finished watching Hillbilly Eledgy because of the recommendations here - amazing -
a good reminder that until they tell their story we don’t know how hard someone’s life has been

yesterday we also watched Leave No Trace and Captain Fantastic (thank you for the suggestions) - we tried to watch PK however we don't
'do' subtitles so had to switch it off

Emma JC
Back in the day when I didn't have glasses, I couldn't see the subtitles, watching movies, like Spirited Away was a whole different experience. It was in Japanese, so I understood only a fracture of what the characters were saying.
To me language barriers doesn't mean much. When I was a kid, I had a friend who only spoke Russian.
But I understand that this isn't for everyone.

Back in the day when I didn't have glasses, I couldn't see the subtitles, watching movies, like Spirited Away was a whole different experience. It was in Japanese, so I understood only a fracture of what the characters were saying.
To me language barriers doesn't mean much. When I was a kid, I had a friend who only spoke Russian.
But I understand that this isn't for everyone.

yes, the thing is that we often start watching a movie while we are eating (couch potatoes) and so it is very challenging to watch subtitles and not miss either your mouth or something said on the screen

Emma JC

I just finished watching "Leave No Trace" and I am quite emotionally drained. That movie had me in tears through most of it and at the end, well, I can get very emotional watching movies. It was really fantastic, though one of the saddest films I have ever seen and based on a true story adapted from a book. I have seen "Winter's Bone" by the same director and it is an emotional film as well.

• Friendly