Most Moving Vegan Movie/Documentary

I didn't watch a movie that led me to being vegan. I came to being vegetarian years before being vegan, with information I found showing that having meat was not as healthy for us as avoiding it. But I didn't learn about it being healthier to avoid all animal products then, ironically. I was glad to not take part in demand for which animals were killed, then. But after years went by and I was then involved on the internet, I saw the information from one of the ones in communication with me showing many facts about animal agriculture, and I knew, for what I valued about being vegetarian, I needed to be vegan. When I went vegan, I still didn't not know if it was a healthy change from being vegetarian. A few years later, in 2016, I found the book The Forks Over Knives Plan. It was revolutionary for me. With this perspective, I knew being vegan was right without any doubt. I could speak from that perspective. A little later I saw the documentary movie Forks Over Knives. So that was very moving for me, though certainly I was vegan then. But I do refer it to others, along with the site www.forksoverknives.com for that.

Later on I tried watching Dominion, knowing it was something I should think of sharing to others. It really was too hard to watch through, though I know I have no excuse while animals live with these horrors that are shown. But those whose demands in the market continue that should watch that, all the way. I could already understand to be vegan from information without watching anything like that. I could not see the stubbornness of others who do not become vegan to understand it, I did not resist like that. Information is enough for me. But I share information for it without seeing others change.

Soylent Green . . .

soylent-green.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Earthlings, definitely.

I was already newly vegan though but it sure stopped me from ever considering not being 100% vegan.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
There are stories from vegan writers, which are vegan fiction. While having some effect with reaching some to turn to vegan living, any of them might be of use for reaching many more to be vegan. Movies do have an effect on people as is shown. And there are movies that point that way, with the animals in them.

The documentary that made me want to go fully vegan was Cowspiracy. I watched Forks Over Knives before that, and thought it was pretty gross, but didn't think it concerned me because I was vegetarian and even before that avoided "red meat" like the plague as a young person, was pretty much naturally flexitarian from birth. I'm still not strongly moved by stuff that I feel is targeted more towards people with chronic health problems or borders on orthorexia. Yeah, that's my opinion. Sorry/not sorry, I know it's the motivation for a sizable number of other people.

However, I have seen other EXTREMELY moving vegan documentaries. Okja made me cry even the second time I saw it, and The Animal People (about animal rights activism and animal testing, not a well-known vegan film) was very moving.

I don't really like to watch things like Earthlings. I start watching it, get horrified and feel panicky, and turn it off. I know some people NEED to see it right in their face. I don't.

I am a writer myself. At first with being vegan I tried suppressing any obvious vegan message in writing, but when people's violence to animals came into the picture, I could not satisfactorily avoid my vegan perspective. It would let the abuse to any animal in the writing make a reader uncomfortable with the abuse. It was rare, I just tried avoiding that issue more, but the reality is too pervasive, and it would appear in my writing still, as I could not keep having characters that only made vegan choices, without it being obvious they were making vegan choices. And so interaction between vegan and nonvegan characters comes into play. I finally tried just writing vegan fiction, it was like it was unavoidable, though I was focused on writing fantasy stories. I use samples of my writing that I show freely online. One that is certainly vegan fiction has its start being shown on Tubbr, Cleansing Island History, through my wall Sustainable Vegan Writer, but an invite code with my link is necessary, with an account in that medium, to have access to see it. The story is shown very much further on a Facebook page, Vegan Fiction Writer, but the story is in sequence of posts and earlier, to the beginning, would have to be reached with a lot of scrolling. Seeing the start on the Tubbr wall would be more worthwhile, I think. My writing from now on has to have a vegan perspective.

Join me, @fredfrancis, on Tubbr,
Use my access code FANM16 to create your Tubbr account.

Last edited:
It wasn't so much a vegan film, but it was big part of what motivated me to go vegetarian in 1997 (I went vegan 6 years later)..

It was It's A Dog's Life which documented Zoe Broughton's undercover role as an animal technician in the dog toxicology unit at Huntingdon Life Sciences. Her film showed amongst many other things, technicians punching and shaking dogs who weren't complying very well with dosing and blood tests. It was the third time HLS had had their vile practices exposed (second time at that particular site) and resulted in them having their license to use animals suspended and their share price plummeting. Sadly it didn't kill them off entirely and they later bounced back. It was the first time animal technicians were prosecuted for laboratory animal cruelty in the UK. As far as I know there have been no infiltrations of HLS since.

I've not seen the film since then. Although I don't remember much of it, I remember how disturbing I found it. I was 14 when it came out though, perhaps I'd be more hardened to it now.

Does anyone else remember this film?

Reactions: Lou
It wasn't so much a vegan film, but it was big part of what motivated me to go vegetarian in 1997 (I went vegan 6 years later)..

It was It's A Dog's Life

Does anyone else remember this film?

I don't think I ever heard of it.

It seems like Charlotte's Web should be really inspirational to viewers for considering being vegan.

Reactions: Lou
It seems like Charlotte's Web should be really inspirational to viewers for considering being vegan.

At first, blush that seems a reach. but I have many many a third-grader who would no longer eat pork (or kill spiders ) after reading that book.

Hi I'd love to know what are the best documentaries you all have watched?

I think I was 12 when I saw Soylent Green. It made complete sense to me- to eat what had already died. Raising life to kill it without needing to just made no sense to me at all.

Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
I think stars in movies who some idolize motivate some to being vegan when they become vegan publicly, some any of us have heard of.