Most Moving Vegan Movie/Documentary

edde

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What vegan movie/documentary made you shed a tear and encouraged you to go fully vegan?

I started out with Food Inc.

Reactions: Val and Hog
I really like your question. I hope lots of people respond.

I recall seeing a pig being slaughtered on YouTube. The pig did not die right away. The employee thought it was hilarious. I wonder if he actually was crying on the inside and laughing on the outside.

Some people say I have an extreme tolerance to pain. I laugh when I experience pain. It might be an autism thing.

• Friendly
Reactions: edde and Val
What vegan movie/documentary made you shed a tear and encouraged you to go fully vegan?

I started out with Food Inc.
It wasn't a movie that made me go fully vegan. However, there was one movie that influenced me somehow (strictly speaking, it wasn't a movie,- it was just a long combination of video plots made by VITA (Russian organization that defends animal rights and unites russian vegetarians and vegans). This video plot consisted of multiple footages of horrible animal suffering and death agony. One part was "dedicated" to Eurasian minks and sables (mammals) who are hunted for fur, and the other part was dedicated to slaughterhouses and to animals who die there. All the footages made me cringe inside. I couldn't stop crying when i saw pigs being boiled alive in big metal bowls in those slaughterhouses. The second thing that shocked me most, was the group of footages of Russian minks and sables, who are caught in snare and die in suffering and pain shock, or who are slaughtered after being commercially farmed and kept in tiny crates. (Mink and sable hunting is still practiced in Russia though).
I'm not saying that other parts of the documentary didn't shock me and didn't make me wanna ditch all animal-derived products, but the parts about minks and pigs found the strongest response in me, mostly because local "culture of consumerism" involves a lot of suffering of minks, sables and pigs, and i used to participate in it somehow. First of all, russian women looooove mink fur coats and sable fur coats: it's considered a sign of luxury and an object of desire.
I was lucky to stop wearing fur coats when i was little, because faux fur appeared on russian market: the winters were fierce then, not like now,- sometimes the temperatures dropped to -47°C, and there were no synthetic materials like padding polyester. When i got 16 y.o., i made mom buy me a fancy faux fur coat (it was much appreciated by boys, lol), and i was happy that technologies of that time allowed me to have such a nice-looking faux fur coat (as far as i know, it was manufactured in China). But... I couldn't stop eating pork barbeque, which is the main type of bbq over here. We were eating a lot of pork then, because shashlyk (bbq) on big skewers is a real cult here. So, by the time i saw the documentary, i had been trying vegan lifestyle already, but couldn't stick to it, and the movie gave me another proof that there are many reasons i should stay vegan for, and that one of the reasons is my moral duty to quit participating in mass murders of living beings.
We're living at the country at the moment, and it's impossible to avoid sniffing other people's shashlyk all day long,- people are capable of anything to stuff their belly with dead pig flesh,... because the major part of bbq is pork, and pre-marinated bbq is sold everywhere, even in our tiny countryside kiosk. People looove their bbq,- it's associated with summer, vacations, leisure, meet-ups with friends, trips to the lake, a lot of booze and fun. I can assure you: in analogy with American "Mmm...bacon" we have our own "Mmm...shashlyk".:yuck:

Reactions: edde and Hog
Can you remember the title of the video? That video sounds like repulsion therapy to remind vegans why they are vegans. I love your descriptive post. A+

By the way, bacon and pork chops smells like pig poop.

• Friendly
I haven't seen a lot of vegan documentaries. I have a hard time just getting through the ASPCA commercials on TV. I often have to mute them and not watch because I get upset. I tried to watch Meet Your Meat, but it was too distressing. I got through most of Earthlings, but it, too, was hard to watch at some points.

• Friendly
Can you remember the title of the video? That video sounds like repulsion therapy to remind vegans why they are vegans. I love your descriptive post. A+

By the way, bacon and pork chops smells like pig poop.
That exact movie seems to be removed from the site (or they displaced it, because they toss the movie list time after time). But here is something similar (by the degree of cruelty and horror).👇Warning: very brutal murder scenes inside a German slaughterhouse. These footages of 2005 later became a part of the film "Unvarnished hamburger" (in russian), made by VITA. Anyway, you can see that this site is quite undeveloped, because the organization doesn't earn a lot of money.
The video of murders:
The list of videos that are currently available on the site:

Reactions: edde
I don't know if "moving" is the right word but Earthlings should be on the top of the list.

I tried to watch it (twice!) but never could get past the second chapter.

• Friendly
Reactions: edde, Hog and Val
@ Val - That was an excellent link.

The cow looked beautiful and adorable. Then she was murdered in the most horrific way possible.

In my opinion, the pig was raped when they applied an electric shock to the private parts.

The video was electrifying.

Thank You for reminding me why I am vegan.

• Friendly
That exact movie seems to be removed from the site (or they displaced it, because they toss the movie list time after time). But here is something similar (by the degree of cruelty and horror).👇Warning: very brutal murder scenes inside a German slaughterhouse. These footages of 2005 later became a part of the film "Unvarnished hamburger" (in russian), made by VITA. Anyway, you can see that this site is quite undeveloped, because the organization doesn't earn a lot of money.
The video of murders:
The list of videos that are currently available on the site:
Very shocking indeed.

• Agree
Reactions: Val
I haven't seen a lot of vegan documentaries. I have a hard time just getting through the ASPCA commercials on TV. I often have to mute them and not watch because I get upset. I tried to watch Meet Your Meat, but it was too distressing. I got through most of Earthlings, but it, too, was hard to watch at some points.

Same here, I mute and cover my face if not I end up being in tears. On French TV there are no such ads but on SKY it's non stop. This is a good thing if it helps to make people aware of animal cruelty and also want them to donate money. I don't need to see these ads to donate and help animals.

Eleven! Which ones Lou?

Heard of
Blackfish
Dominion
The Ghosts in our Machine
I am an Animal
Meet Your Meat
Speciesism

Seen
Cowspiracy
Earthlings (first two chapters)
Food, inc
Forks Over Knives
Peaceable Kingdom

That's off the Wikipedia list. I think I've heard of and seem more that are not on that list.

Reactions: Val and edde
Earthling is an artistic masterpiece. I could not believe what I was seeing. Still, it is way too graphic for most vegans and nonvegans.

Unfortunately, I gave up drinking alcohol. I wanted a couple beers so bad when I saw the movie. I wanted something to dull the pain.

• Friendly
Chicken Run

51OmdejiHHL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: edde, Lou and Val
Earthlings killed me inside. I was in a deep depression for a month after that. Now I'm upset because why don't most people know this information??? I just want people to wake up. :( help.

Reactions: edde, Hog and Lou
The earthling messed with my mind. It seemed like a combination horror/science fiction flick.

People must be trying very hard not to know what is happening. I always wondered how the Germans could participate in a holocaust. I know I am no better worse than the Germans. I will not judge them because I fear that God will judge me according to how I judge them.

Reactions: edde