Morrissey letter to Gore

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Boom.

I am writing to ask you to do the one thing that will do the most good for the planet and the majority of its inhabitants: not serve meat or dairy products at Live Earth 2015. I don't mean offering a vegan option-I mean not serving animal products at all. Otherwise, the event will make no sense-it'll be "greenwashing." Serving meat and dairy products at an event to combat climate change is like selling pistols at a gun-control rally. Your responsibility is to alert people to a crisis, not sell out to the vendors responsible for it.

Not only is it possible for venues to provide a 100 percent meat-free menu-as is done now at every concert venue in which I perform, including Madison Square Garden, where I have a show at the end of June-it's also a moral duty.

We already know that raising animals for food is a leading cause of climate change and that moving toward a vegan diet is necessary to combat climate change's worst effects. Animal agriculture severely affects the world's freshwater supply and is a major contributor to global greenhouse-gas emissions, deforestation, loss of biodiversity, and air and water pollution, among many other harmful effects.

Since you can't miss the fact that meat consumption is killing the planet-your own sponsor organization, the United Nations, states this-and since venues can and will cater vegan food for events, if you choose to serve animal flesh at Live Earth, you'll be making a mockery of the very concept of the event, in which case it should be renamed "Dead Earth: We Contributed!"

Don't be a denier of the causes of climate change. You know the facts. Make the right choice.

Sincerely, Morrissey

Read more: Read Morrissey's Scathing Open Letter to Al Gore and Live Earth | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Am I right in thinking Al Gore eats a vegan diet at this point? I thought I read about that, even posted about it here not long ago. That wouldn't prevent him from serving meat at this event, of course.

Am I right in thinking Al Gore eats a vegan diet at this point? I thought I read about that, even posted about it here not long ago. That wouldn't prevent him from serving meat at this event, of course.
Last I heard Al Gore was eating a vegan diet, but I hate the reason he givs. Think of the environmentalists he could sway!:

Medscape: Medscape Access
" Mr. Gore: Over a year ago I changed my diet to a vegan diet, really just to experiment to see what it was like. And I felt better, so I continued with it. For many people, that choice is connected to environmental ethics, health issues, and all of that stuff, but I just wanted to try it to see what it was like. In a visceral way, I felt better, so I've continued with it and I'm likely to continue it for the rest of my life."

Last I heard Al Gore was eating a vegan diet, but I hate the reason he givs. Think of the environmentalists he could sway!:

Medscape: Medscape Access
" Mr. Gore: Over a year ago I changed my diet to a vegan diet, really just to experiment to see what it was like. And I felt better, so I continued with it. For many people, that choice is connected to environmental ethics, health issues, and all of that stuff, but I just wanted to try it to see what it was like. In a visceral way, I felt better, so I've continued with it and I'm likely to continue it for the rest of my life."
:yes:
Al Gore says he'll likely stay vegan 'for life' | MNN - Mother Nature Network