More good news coverage in Mother Jones and the Atlantic.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
You Don’t Have to Be a Vegan to Be a Climate-Friendly Eater

But recent studies underscore the need to dial back our burger habit.

Full article here.

Really liked the bar graphs in this story. If nothing else check them out.

And in a related story

Beyond ‘Vegetarian’
More specific labels like “climatarian” and “reducetarian” can help people stick to their food choices by making them feel like part of a community.

Full Article here

Not that I think we need more labels, but if it helps some people eat responsibly then I'm for it.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Good articles. I think the labels can be useful as far as changing ideas and mindsets. Sometimes different wording is what makes something seem possible. It could be a phrasing that “clicks” with someone.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Good articles. I think the labels can be useful as far as changing ideas and mindsets. Sometimes different wording is what makes something seem possible. It could be a phrasing that “clicks” with someone.
Sometimes I think to myself - what happened that people decided their food should have a label?
Stupid corporations in the 50s, I think. I was just watching a short clip on how what began as the "TV Dinner" was actually a mistake. They took the leftovers from a failed attempt at something else and packaged it up as a "meal" and it took off. (Now I'm going to have to find that video.....)

Sometimes I think to myself - what happened that people decided their food should have a label?

I don't think its the food that is being labeled. It's the people eating the food. Tribalism seems to predate humanity. And can be blamed for many "bad things". But if it helps people eat smarter - than let's call it a good thing in this case.

Stupid corporations in the 50s, I think. I was just watching a short clip on how what began as the "TV Dinner" was actually a mistake. They took the leftovers from a failed attempt at something else and packaged it up as a "meal" and it took off. (Now I'm going to have to find that video.....)

I hadn't heard that story but I don't think the "stupid corporations" are entirely to blame. Even taking in advertising into effect the public shares at least half the blame. Several authors, including Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), blame American's shifting tastes and preferences. In the prosperity of the 50s, homemade and homecooked became old fashioned and low class. To show off how modern and well-to-do you were you wanted fancy "machine made" goods. Including canned and frozen prepared meals.

Although the corporations were more than happy to take full advantage of this. But I'm sure it can be argued both ways. Chicken or egg.
(oh hey! we vegans need a better saying)

I think my point, @Lou is that our food comes from the ground. It's literally all there in the produce isle. No labels necessary.
Now if they start putting a nutritional label on oranges and kale or labeling those things with a big green "V" sticker I will lose my mind...