More good news coverage in Mother Jones and the Atlantic.

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
You Don’t Have to Be a Vegan to Be a Climate-Friendly Eater

But recent studies underscore the need to dial back our burger habit.

Full article here.

Really liked the bar graphs in this story. If nothing else check them out.

And in a related story

Beyond ‘Vegetarian’
More specific labels like “climatarian” and “reducetarian” can help people stick to their food choices by making them feel like part of a community.

Full Article here

Not that I think we need more labels, but if it helps some people eat responsibly then I'm for it.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot

Mbeth

Practitioner
Reaction score
Good articles. I think the labels can be useful as far as changing ideas and mindsets. Sometimes different wording is what makes something seem possible. It could be a phrasing that “clicks” with someone.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Good articles. I think the labels can be useful as far as changing ideas and mindsets. Sometimes different wording is what makes something seem possible. It could be a phrasing that “clicks” with someone.
Sometimes I think to myself - what happened that people decided their food should have a label?
Stupid corporations in the 50s, I think. I was just watching a short clip on how what began as the "TV Dinner" was actually a mistake. They took the leftovers from a failed attempt at something else and packaged it up as a "meal" and it took off. (Now I'm going to have to find that video.....)

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Sometimes I think to myself - what happened that people decided their food should have a label?
I don't think its the food that is being labeled. It's the people eating the food. Tribalism seems to predate humanity. And can be blamed for many "bad things". But if it helps people eat smarter - than let's call it a good thing in this case.

Stupid corporations in the 50s, I think. I was just watching a short clip on how what began as the "TV Dinner" was actually a mistake. They took the leftovers from a failed attempt at something else and packaged it up as a "meal" and it took off. (Now I'm going to have to find that video.....)
I hadn't heard that story but I don't think the "stupid corporations" are entirely to blame. Even taking in advertising into effect the public shares at least half the blame. Several authors, including Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), blame American's shifting tastes and preferences. In the prosperity of the 50s, homemade and homecooked became old fashioned and low class. To show off how modern and well-to-do you were you wanted fancy "machine made" goods. Including canned and frozen prepared meals.

Although the corporations were more than happy to take full advantage of this. But I'm sure it can be argued both ways. Chicken or egg.
(oh hey! we vegans need a better saying)

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I think my point, @Lou is that our food comes from the ground. It's literally all there in the produce isle. No labels necessary.
Now if they start putting a nutritional label on oranges and kale or labeling those things with a big green "V" sticker I will lose my mind...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lou More vegan news General 4
Lou More interesting news General 6
Forest Nymph Trump Acquittal-More Motivated to Move Asia Philosophy 36
prani_saa I need more tissues after seeing this. Animals 0
JessikaM Plant Based Diets Can Feed More People Than Animal Based Diets? General 4
Forest Nymph Exciting Day! And more to come. General 0
Meyersaurus Argument i had today: plastic is more sustainable than paper Environment 24
Emma JC Less beef, more beans': experts say world needs a new diet General 11
TofuRobot 24 reasons more men should go vegan General 3
FredVegrox New here, and vegan more than 5 years Introduce Yourself 9
Lou More hero cows Animals 3
Jinendra Singh Californian Green Couple Shares 8 Easy Tips to Live More Eco-friendly Relationships 1
Jinendra Singh Vegans Doing More/Planet than ELON MUSK General 5
beforewisdom Mike Anderson's "Eating" and more now free on Youtube General Discussion 1
R Heart palpitations, anxiety, insomnia and more Health & Body 6
kZn1 People who eat more gluten less likely to develop diabetes? Health & Body 10
R More about carbohydrates General 1
aquaticfan Need more iodine in my diet. my multivitamin only gives me 38% rda Food & Drink 2
E US More Benefits of Plant Based Diet The Vegetarian Forum 0
JayC Survey Empathy survey - who are more empathetic vegan or meat-eaters? Marketplace 3
nitagurl No more lurking. Transitioning 12
Indian Summer Disagree button in more forums? Suggestions & Bugs 30
Andy_T CA No meat? Yes please: Vegan restaurants get more aggressive General Discussion 1
AverageZoe Milk and more Products 0
K Being more stressed and anxious Health & Body 2
Bite Size Vegan Soy Vs Beer: Which Promotes Estrogen More? Health & Body 1
Bite Size Vegan Are Vegans More Depressed? Health & Body 4
robert99 Yemen - more Sunni/Shia conflict Other Countries 7
Indian Summer Life Sciences Fungi material to be used for making vegan shoes, spaceships and more Science & Technology 0
robert99 Hey! America has found some more people to bomb! USA 1
robert99 More boots on the ground? USA 1
robert99 Less is more General Discussion 5
Joe Software More Flaws in Adobe Flash Player Science & Technology 8
Krish Jay Suggestion More subforums? Suggestions & Bugs 9
robert99 Obama gives go-ahead to more US military role in Afghanistan USA 13
Mischief White male doctors earn more than women and black male doctors General Discussion 1
robert99 Calls for Shipping and Aviation to Do More to Cut Emissions Environment 3
robert99 Oil industry knew of 'serious' climate concerns more than 45 years ago Environment 4
robert99 more boots on the ground Lounge 23
shyvas Who's Having More Fun ? Animals 3
Indian Summer News Study: Fried vegetables have more healthy properties Food & Drink 5
Bite Size Vegan Vegan Christmas Guide: Recipes, Poetry, Parodies & More! General Discussion 0
Becky Brouse Is it Possible to Influence a Company to Offer More Vegan Products? Products 1
Calliegirl No more whale breeding for Seaworld? Animals In The News 0
Indian Summer Health & Medicine Diet study: Low-fat more effective than low-carb, but ... Science & Technology 2
R Humans more important than other species General Discussion 25
F Suggestions On Getting More Proteins? Food & Drink 14
R Less domesticated animals, more wild animals Animals 25
Mischief Is a male nurse worth more than a female one? General Discussion 16
Amy SF Vegan Fabrics More Popular (Los Angeles Times article) General 1