Music Memorable 90's songs

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
The stations I listen to play a lot more 80's music than 90's. What songs from the 90's do you expect to be remembered?

Some of Björk's music. (An Army of Me and Jóga come to mind.)

The 90s were generally not very memorable in terms of popular music, although there were some great things happening outside of the mainstream.

Last edited:
Nirvana Smells like teen spirit
Smash Mouth: Walking on the sun
R.E.M. : Loosing my religion
Santana: The entire Supernatural Album.
Sheryl Crow: All I wanna Do.
U2: Mysterious Ways
Seal: Kiss from a rose
Melissa Etheridge: come to my window
Tracy Chapman: give me one reason
Billy Joel: River of Dreams
Sugar Ray: Every morning

Reactions: Calliegirl
Screaming Trees - Dollar Bill
The entirety of Nick Cave's Murder Ballads album
Soundgarden - Spoonman
Pantera - Walk
The entirety of NIN Downward Spiral.

Reactions: PTree15 and Dedalus
I think there's one Enya song that is the only 90's song I've ever heard on an oldies station. Mariah had huge success, but the only song she ever did that I find memorable is AIWFCIY. Whitney had I Will Always Love You, and Celine had My Heart Will Go On. Green Day, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers all had one song that stood out as well. Many singers didn't have many stand-out singles the way many before them have had.

Alice in Chains - Would, Them Bones, Down in a Hole, Man in Box.

AIC pretty much sums up the sound of the 90s for me. Whether you loved or hated them - if you were even remotely interested in music you heard them.
As much as I agree with that sentiment for hard rock, for heavy metal Pantera pretty much owned the 90's. No one came even close for me, except maybe Machine Head. Metallica doesn't count because they didn't make a metal album in the 90's. :devil:

Reactions: Dedalus
As much as I agree with that sentiment for hard rock, for heavy metal Pantera pretty much owned the 90's. No one came even close for me, except maybe Machine Head. Metallica doesn't count because they didn't make a metal album in the 90's. :devil:

I agree with you - Pantera really smoked. But Metallica's Black Album with the mega-hit Enter Sandman did come out in '91.

Edit: Unless you are suggesting the Black Album wasn't up to 'metal' standards. Then you would have a point.

I agree with you - Pantera really smoked. But Metallica's Black Album with the mega-hit Enter Sandman did come out in '91.

Edit: Unless you are suggesting the Black Album wasn't up to 'metal' standards. Then you would have a point.
I'm biased as all hell, but I haven't liked a Metallica album since 'Justice'.

Reactions: Dedalus
Seriously guys, no Weezer??? The Sweater Song, Buddy Holly . . . pretty much the whole Blue Album is chock full of 90s goodness! The 90s were huge for alt pop. Beck, The Presidents of the United States, The Pixies (more punk, but still very 90s). And of course Radiohead!!! Pablo Honey was out in the early 90s, right?

Nirvana Smells like teen spirit
Smash Mouth: Walking on the sun
R.E.M. : Loosing my religion
Santana: The entire Supernatural Album.
Sheryl Crow: All I wanna Do.
U2: Mysterious Ways
Seal: Kiss from a rose
Melissa Etheridge: come to my window
Tracy Chapman: give me one reason
Billy Joel: River of Dreams
Sugar Ray: Every morning

Did you steal this from the VH1 top 10 countdown??

Probably more songs I like than songs I expect to be remembered, but whatever, lol.

Sting - Fields of Gold
Bonnie Raitt - Something to Talk About
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home
Pretenders - I'll Stand By You
Extreme - More Than Words