Marie Kondo

I'm re-watching the Netflix series Tidying Up With Marie Kondo and recently read her book Spark Joy: an illustrated master class on the art of organizing and tidying up. Now I'm listening to an audiobook: The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up.

I really enjoy studying organizing and tidying up.

"Organizing is nothing but a well planned hoarding."
-The Minimalists.

I like how Marie Kondo, with her method, aims to find the perfect balance between minimalism and well organized home.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Mikkel was out tidying up after her methods in latest show. :p

But I still haven't missed one single item I got rith of last year. And bought very little new things. I gave away all my better looking clothes, as they didn't fit anymore. So as for now, I have only my nice uniform to wear to a funeral, so people should not die for a while. :p

Mikkel was out tidying up after her methods in latest show. :p

But I still haven't missed one single item I got rith of last year. And bought very little new things. I gave away all my better looking clothes, as they didn't fit anymore. So as for now, I have only my nice uniform to wear to a funeral, so people should not die for a while. :p

Have you lost or gained ?

We have them both. The expencive ones, and they with okey prices. And a lot of what is sold on Facebook is nice prices on.

But the biggest thrift stores has both been expencive and exlucive. So I try to pick shops with good causes that doesn't want to rob people...

But you see a lot of people just want to get rith of litteraly trash. And don't want to take a trip to the dumpster site. I just saw someone try to give away a really ugly table they had made. But the other day someone was switching kitchen interior and you could get their really awsome old one for free.

In the UK ( there are tons of charity shops) are quite inexpensive. I buy a lot of cloths and books when I'm in Brighton and the Northants as you can pick up some good bargains. Some items are brand new and must be unwanted gifts. Moreover, many retail stores donate stuff which is a good thing. I've picked up items that still have the label on them.

I was amazed by the prices in the US and French ones. Canadian thrift stores are also inexpensive. Many of them give children's book for free.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
There’s a major flaw in this “if it doesn’t spark joy, toss it” mindset. I went through the boxes we had stored the last few months and everything sparks joy! Nevertheless, I don’t have room for so much “stuff” so I filled 14 boxes of my joyful possessions and donated them to the viet nam veterans. Even my four Christmas cereal/soup bowls. 😫😭

Last edited:
There’s a major flaw in this “if it doesn’t spark joy, toss it” mindset. I went through the boxes we had stored the last few months and everything sparks joy! Nevertheless, I don’t have room for so much “stuff” so I filled 14 boxes of my joyful possessions and donated them to the viet nam veterans. Even my four Christmas cereal/soup bowls. 😫😭
Damn... I hope you won't miss those items after a while. :(
But it's really good thing that you now don't have to spent more money on storing stuff. :heart:

I sometimes miss this one baggy boys shirt that I got from a thrift store.
I actually liked it a lot. But it brought me back some bad memories of people being mean to me, so I gave it away.
Every time I looked at it I heard this one woman say "what an ugly shirt!"
It had black and green stripes and was very warm.
In hindsight....I think I should have just worn it to be spiteful and proud.

There should also be "spark of spitefulness".

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Raven and KLS52
I got rid of lots of crap yesterday at the rubbish tip. I want my new house to only have white or dark red furniture. I vacuumed afterwards and mopped the floor and took down the curtains to wash. It's weird how I get such a buzz the less stuff I have cluttering up the place. :heart_eyes:

That's so much how I am--and I'm always change how I feel, so it can take a long time to get around to missing or loving things!
I will always regret giving up my vinyl albums, largely because I couldn't replace most. There were random blues albums I can't even recall the names. and early recordings. I had about a square of them from what I recall, and when I was I moving I remember being so tired and frustrated --I just don't even know what I did with them.
Certain clothes I have trouble giving up. In my 30's there was a used clothing shop that had very good high end, and interesting, clothes run by a woman who got things from dry cleaners no one claimed. Now I've been saving clothes, refusing to buy anything until I lose weight. It's been years..
It's also hard when you want to responsibly recycle or give things away. I'm not one to sell things
Taking pictures and looking at rooms through the lens really makes me feel like a hoarder sometimes. Todays goal is get all the floors and table tops clean and clear

... Todays goal is get all the floors and table tops clean and clear
My place can get pretty cluttery, too. My little kitchen table becomes a receptacle for all sorts of things. I just cleaned it off. It's usually a matter of just putting things away. I'll be like, well, I'll leave this stuff out because I'm going to make (insert food/dish here), and I'll need that. And then I don't make what I was going to make, so stuff piles up. So today, I just said, OK, enough, put all that stuff away. That table also works as extra work space for me, so now it's nice and clear.

Ok, maybe I’m dreamt it, but I could swear someone suggested that I keep a few cherished items and display them in a glass cabinet and now I can’t find the post to respond. I don’t even remember who wrote it or which thread it was in. I whine in so many threads. :fp::fp:

Anyway, sure, I could do that, but trust me, it’s just too much stuff. I did keep a few things. My issue is that I like it all and it’s just not practical. And I would have to buy a cabinet because I don’t have one and then there would be the issue of where to put the cabinet.

If I did end up dreaming that post, disregard this reply, hahahahaha.

Ok, maybe I’m dreamt it, but I could swear someone suggested that I keep a few cherished items and display them in a glass cabinet and now I can’t find the post to respond. I don’t even remember who wrote it or which thread it was in. I whine in so many threads. :fp::fp:

Anyway, sure, I could do that, but trust me, it’s just too much stuff. I did keep a few things. My issue is that I like it all and it’s just not practical. And I would have to buy a cabinet because I don’t have one and then there would be the issue of where to put the cabinet.

I put the laugh emoji for your last comment! :D

Reactions: KLS52

I remember that post! I was thinking the same as you are- needing something else you probably don't need :weird:
I have so much junk. You can't win with junk. You can have a can of screws, fittings,hardware, electronic plugs and chargers and right after you get rid of them- boom- you get something that needs it. I had a bin of all kinds of screws and stuff, for years, got rid of everything but what seemed needful. Day after, my drawer know comes off, if I had the rest of the screws ....I have two fine mini blinds whose brackets broke, used to have brackets...

Reactions: KLS52

It was me, in the coffee thread. :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas