Marie Kondo

It is. And for some people, it helps them a lot that people give away stuff for free or to thrift stores.

But I don't agree with giving up my plan to read books. I have got them to read them. Some books are probably just ment to be read half way, because they end up too boring. Life is too short for boring books anyway.

From reading a meme to empty two storage room in one evening. Some people party at Fridays, I obvious got hooked on tidying. :p

But this is fun. I have so much stuff. I found several handmixers that miss the part I use the most (but work well). Parts from a broken kitchen machine I don't have anymore etc etc. I have a lot of baking stuff, but I don't bake.

Reactions: KLS52
I’m buying mostly digital books now not only because I just don’t have the space any more for physical books, but because I have vision problems, and digital books are easier for me to read. Unfortunately, not all books are available in digital format, so I’m still buying some physical books I want. But I still have a fraction of the collection of books I had in my old apartment. Most of those were gotten rid of, and I’ve replaced some of them with the digital versions.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Have you tried using an e-reader?
They can be a sight for sore eyes, I would say ...
I rely mostly on audiobooks now, because they let me multi-task - knit, do chores, run errands, post on VV, all while listening.

Books that aren't available on audio I read on the Kindle paperwhite.

The books I'm keeping are the ones that aren't readily available in digital format.

Reactions: Poppy
Books that aren't available on audio I read on the Kindle paperwhite.

Yes, I have the same one, helps me to reduce my dependence on dead tree books :)
Also a godsend when trying to read on badly lit public transport at this time of the year...

She seems funny, but I couldn't get into her show when I tried to watch it.

Most of the books I read come from the library. I rarely read a book more than once, so I don't see the point of buying them. The exceptions are reference books (gardening books, cookbooks, etc) or used books by my favourite authors.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
It is. And for some people, it helps them a lot that people give away stuff for free or to thrift stores.
I'm very glad to see people give items to thrift shops, but the trend of people with means buying thrift has gone so far their prices have skyrocketed! That and the trend of selling on facebook and local online buy and sell groups and yard sales.
Like "I can afford a really expensive thing, then sell it and get most of my money back." Which is fine if it's still like new, but so often ready to break- like cell phones, cars that need hidden work...

When I say that I'm a minimalist, its more of a state of mind than the actual state of my house! :p

You would never walk into my house and say "Wow, this woman is a minimalist!!!" But I've taught myself to make the "rounds" fairly frequently and reevaluate nearly everything. And yes, I love having a small house too. We have a local "Buy Nothing" group and I'm always posting things for pick up.

I actually tried to do a Project 333 wardrobe a few years back. It really helped me get a grip on my clothes and I now have a much more paired down wardrobe. Granted, I don't have a real job and tend to spend my time with either with dogs or in paint, so I don't need a whole lot of nice clothes. But I did decide to keep only black accessories (shoes, boots, purses) keep my bottom half covered in jeans and black slacks/skirts (and a pair of white jeans for summer), and my jackets in the grey/black color spectrum. So the only vivid color I have is in my tops, dresses and scarves. It's really worked for me and made shopping so much easier.
I don't picture you so much as a miminalist as just a neat organized person who is thoughtful and deliberate in planning!
I'm more of an unorganized slob who has to work at being mindful. I was "shabby chic" decades before someone coined that term :rolleyes::hd::weird:

Reactions: Mischief
I'm very glad to see people give items to thrift shops, but the trend of people with means buying thrift has gone so far their prices have skyrocketed! That and the trend of selling on facebook and local online buy and sell groups and yard sales.
Like "I can afford a really expensive thing, then sell it and get most of my money back." Which is fine if it's still like new, but so often ready to break- like cell phones, cars that need hidden work...

We have them both. The expencive ones, and they with okey prices. And a lot of what is sold on Facebook is nice prices on.

But the biggest thrift stores has both been expencive and exlucive. So I try to pick shops with good causes that doesn't want to rob people...

But you see a lot of people just want to get rith of litteraly trash. And don't want to take a trip to the dumpster site. I just saw someone try to give away a really ugly table they had made. But the other day someone was switching kitchen interior and you could get their really awsome old one for free.

I have noticed that also. I've watched youtube videos of people who are able to buy used stuff for dirt cheap and resell it for a much higher value, but that's not possible where I live! The thrift stores here still price things high enough that you won't get much more for it somewhere else.

My favourite clothing place to shop now is a consignment store that just opened up down the street. The stuff is priced a bit higher than thrift store clothes, but that's because part of the profit goes to the consigner (consignee?). And everything is in good condition. The store doesn't accept crappy stuff that's falling apart or otherwise belongs in a landfill.

I won't even donate good used things to shops, I take it to a church that takes things to womans shelters, and homeless shelters.
I mean if you can afford better things I don't think it's right to make money off them when you're through. It's like you're paying the same for brand new that others pay for used items that are often not even that good!
Used cars I understand, but even then only to a point.
People really bristle when I say this :rolleyes:

I need to look into this as I desperately need some change,
and my house is a disaster now!

I'm flat-out obsessive-compulsive about not discarding (throwing out) something that still theoretically has use, although I'll gladly give it to someone. BUT- I'm just as obsessive about not acquiring something I neither need or want greatly. So they balance out. I'm doing a purge now.

I’ve purged tremendously since putting the house on the market. Being so close to signing contracts, I filled several more boxes for the veterans. They are coming to pick up on the 19th.

I have a really hard time parting with “stuff”. I will most likely fill a few boxes of items that I love, but probably won’t ever use, and bring it to work and give them away to coworkers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I’ve purged tremendously since putting the house on the market. Being so close to signing contracts, I filled several more boxes for the veterans. They are coming to pick up on the 19th.
I think moving motivates folks to get rid of stuff.

I have a really hard time parting with “stuff”. I will most likely fill a few boxes of items that I love, but probably won’t ever use, and bring it to work and give them away to coworkers.
Hmmm... but if you really love some things but seldom/never get around to using them... how about... putting these things in a special place, and periodically take something out of that place to begin using it? You could even designate certain days on the calendar where you would go to that hideaway vault, take something out, and re-experience the joy you felt when you first got it! If something was a gift, you could attach the giver's name to it and again feel gratitude to whomever gave it to you!