Nutrition & Diet Low Carb vs Plant Based

Pickle Juice

Reaction score
I am sorry they stamp the word "fat" in this video so much, but I still think this is a good video to show to anyone who argues with you about how much better Atkins-style eating is for fat loss.

And I gotta say I love those shots of Sally Fallon. Eat Fat, Lose Fat? Yeah right.

I have to admit that I've done both of these in my life... the Atkins low-carb lifestyle, and of course now I'm vegetarian... but interestingly I've found positive benefits to both. The common ground we all share that is often ignored... is whole foods. Any time you get away from processed foods and the standard american diet, the healthier you will be. In that respect, I believe either diet will be healthier than the SAD.

Reactions: Pickle Juice
Yeah, I just think Sally Fallon telling people to eat butter and cream and lots of meat is pretty irresponsible. She's against "processed" foods like tofu, and conveniently forgets that butter and cheese are also highly "processed". Either she doesn't follow her own advice or it isn't working. :p

I have to admit that I've done both of these in my life... the Atkins low-carb lifestyle, and of course now I'm vegetarian... but interestingly I've found positive benefits to both. The common ground we all share that is often ignored... is whole foods. Any time you get away from processed foods and the standard american diet, the healthier you will be. In that respect, I believe either diet will be healthier than the SAD.

Agree with the whole foods aspect.

My parents always pushed me and still is the low carb diets unto me but, I rather do the Vegeterian plant base one because its easier and portion control. My sister is a nurse and she said that people that are on the low carb diet and eats all of those animal products will 10 years time have major health issues and something about their colon , she said this to me about 8 years ago .
Now my husband and I both got rid of the SAD diet and we are doing special diets plant base and Organic and watching we bring in the house.

I have a hard time keeping quiet when people say they're on a "low carb" diet. I really want to tell them everything that's wrong with it.

This video is not something I would ever use to prove a point though. I'm sure it would be easy to find 'fat' vegans and thin low-carb-dieters and make a video that 'proves' the exact opposite.

The term low-carb seems to run the gamut these days and can mean anything from Atkins to vegetarian, depending upon how one defines the word 'carbs'. For instance there is an eco-Atkins diet which is vegetarian and has been shown to be quite effective. In my opinion eliminating sugary and processed carbs is always the healthy way to go, and in that respect I think we share some common ground.

There's nothing wrong with being on a low carb diet.
There's nothing sustainable about being on a low carb diet either. Temporary weight loss diets don't work because they can't be adopted for life. Any human attempting to live on Atkins style diets for the long term isn't going to make it very long.

Reactions: Lord Snot
There's nothing sustainable about being on a low carb diet either. Temporary weight loss diets don't work because they can't be adopted for life. Any human attempting to live on Atkins style diets for the long term isn't going to make it very long.

That's why it's a diet.

Besides, being on a low-carb diet doesn't mean that you are going to chomp down on bacon and butter every day.

From what I've heard, not sure that its accurate, is that low-carb diets are very effective for quick weight loss. But as soon as you incorporate carbs back in, you'll blow up like a balloon. Or at least back to your regular fat state.

Here was on news on this week that they got finally first long period study done from low carb diets and the result was that it raises womens risk to get heart issues or brain bleeding 4-5 times highger. One thing that was said though was that the risk was due the animal protein and how much that was eaten. With switching the proteing coming from plants like legumes and beans that risk dropped down. Or at least I got that picture that switching to plant based protein there wasn't same issue than there was with getting all the protein from animals. Just proves that the animal protein in our diets is not healthy for us or the inviroment.

I don't really believe on diets if you want permanent results...that needs lifestyle changes that are permanent and with what you can really live rest of your life. From what I have seen with family members and friends who have done lots of diets, they just ends up getting all back and plus some. Those who have changed their lifestyle choises are the ones who have kept the wieght away.