Loss of Nutrients in Fruit after chopping?

Ah, OK, thank you!

But what does this

have to do with:

Respectively what is the connection here?
Dr Greger is the biggest advocate of healthy eating I've come across. He has designed the Daily Dozen formula of what and how many servings of whole plant foods that make up a days nutrition.
If you really really want to get the latest peer reviewed research I highly recommend his book How Not to Diet (not a 'diet' book, but allll about our relationship with foods in every way)
While he thoroughly recommends eating and preparing in the ways to get as much nutrition as possible, he also maintains that the best way to prepare foods is the way you will eat them!
For many people, obsessing about nutrition keeps them from nutrition.
What I was trying to get across was if I were to be so strict about washing and preparing fresh I would not eat those foods because it would be too much of bother for me.
For me, the vast majority of veggies are frozen, and I eat salad mixes that say prewashed.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
What is the best rice? the rice you will eat...

What is the best potato? the potato you will eat...

What are the best beans? the beans you will eat....

What are the best fruits? the fruits you will eat....

and so on...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: silva
But there is the guy (me) who will eat all those things but would like to get the most bang for his buck
I go with Balsamati rice. I used to go with brown but got concerned about arsenic.

I go mostly with Microwaved Idaho potatoes. I just discovered a cheap brand of frozen French fry that cook up in my air fryer really good. I also like the soup recipes that contain potatoes.

I do have all kinds of beans here. I like the canned white beans which I can just add to my salad. Or canned baked beans that I can heat up for a side. And canned refried beans for my burritos. I also like to make black beans in my InstantPot. Lot of my instant pot soup recipes are with beans.

Technically not fruit but fresh strawberries and blueberries for my breakfast cereal (hot or cold). Or bananas. In the summer I mostly vary by what is at the farmer's market. All other times of year it's pretty much apples. Sometimes a pear.

Reactions: Emma JC
Or maybe you didn't and maybe substances / residues accumulate by leaving out more than half of what is recommended and will take effect at some point negatively. As is for example the case with heavily processed industrial food or smoking, the haeavy effects are not always (maybe sometimes) noticeable immediately, but in some or more or many, etc. cases they may only have an impact when you are older. Maybe never, maybe much sooner. Etc. Maybe or most likely you will never know what is or will be caused by what kind of nutrition. Maybe it's always about probabilities that are difficult to assess or, more likely, not at all or hardly assessable.
Look: I honestly think it's better to be too obsessive about what we eat and how we prepare/eat it than to just not care at all. But why does it have to be all one way or the other? For example, usually I wash fruit that I'm going to eat raw and whole (such as apples, pears, grapes, or plums), but occasionally I don't. (Probably not a good idea- I honestly don't think this will ever kill me, but I might get sick- in fact, maybe I have for this reason).

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Ah, yes, I understand. So it is not connected to cleaning and such, but it generally means it is important, respectively first of all, the basic of a good diet is to eat whole foods and plant based at all.

If you really really want to get the latest peer reviewed research I highly recommend his book How Not to Diet (not a 'diet' book, but allll about our relationship with foods in every way)
Thank you, just downloaded it.

For many people, obsessing about nutrition keeps them from nutrition.

So that really is such a common problem, behaviour?

What is the best rice? the rice you will eat...

What is the best potato? the potato you will eat...

What are the best beans? the beans you will eat....

What are the best fruits? the fruits you will eat....

I maybe am not quite sure about that. Maybe the best rice would be the one (you will eat and) without contamination (heavy metals, arsenic, etc.) and with many / the most nutrients.

And so on.

I go with Balsamati rice. I used to go with brown but got concerned about arsenic.
I would have thought the color does not matter regarding contamination. Maybe eating bulgur instead.

Food in cans is also said to be questionable because of the harmful substances in the can.

But why does it have to be all one way or the other?
Who says it has to be like that? Respectively generally obviously there just are good ways to go and bad ways and maybe others one can go. So using the good way might be a good idea, although one can go each way one wants / likes, I would think.

Look: I honestly think it's better to be too obsessive about what we eat and how we prepare/eat it than to just not care at all. But why does it have to be all one way or the other? For example, usually I wash fruit that I'm going to eat raw and whole (such as apples, pears, grapes, or plums), but occasionally I don't. (Probably not a good idea- I honestly don't think this will ever kill me, but I might get sick- in fact, maybe I have for this reason).

Yes, yes, of course (although doing something too much obviously means that there are problems/disadvantages), there could be nothing wrong with that. Even if one decided to only eat (heavily) processed food (because it tastes so good and is so easy to handle). One could say that the (possible) consequences are worth it (if you knew the effects of such food) or not and do it anyway. And even if one decided to only eat (heavily) processed food without knowing the (possible) effects of such food, there would be nothing wrong with that (or maybe there would be). Then perhaps there would be nothing (in terms of nutrition) to worry and care about (perhaps only if effects became apparent, if one could/wanted to attribute them to the food). Guess there are endless ways to do it.

Reactions: Lou
Support for you Emma. One can either live or one can obsess about the vague possibility of existing longer as a paranoid, rabbit hole health worrier! I choose the first.
Agree. Just reading this thread is slightly stressful. You need to use your common sense in life and try to follow certain guidelines without going over the top.
We are surrounded by germs and viruses on a daily basis.However the majority of us deal well fighting them off.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Agree. Just reading this thread is slightly stressful.
I'm very sorry to hear that, hope you've recovered a bit from the stress!

You need to use your common sense in life and try to follow certain guidelines without going over the top.
Oops, OK, so it can be that simple. Confucius couldn't have put it more aptly.

We are surrounded by germs and viruses on a daily basis.However the majority of us deal well fighting them off.
Thank God! And many don't even have to (deliberately) actively fight them.

No no, not at all, a good immune system is really very important, but perhaps more in the form of Aikido Steven "Fat Antibody" Seagal antibodies. They would really kill everything completely.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom L.