Nutrition & Diet Looking for quick, easy, not so carb-y recipes

Veggiemama

Forum Senior
Reaction score
My 14 y/o niece has decided to become vegetarian. She lives in a household of 7 people for the next few months so with their grocery budget she won't be able to get any meat substitutes or expensive grains like quinoa. I've given her a few recipes but a lot of mine are pretty complex and being she's only 14 she needs quick, easy to cook meals. I went veg in my 20’s so I'm not sure if the nutrition requirements are the same for adults as they are for teenage girls. I want to be as helpful and supportive as possible so she remains healthy, doesn't carbo load and stays on the right track so her mother will continue to allow her to pursue this lifestyle while living at home. Any recipe suggestions or other advice?

I'm not sure how one can survive on a veggie diet w/o carbs. Especially quick and easy ones. Maybe just avoid the processed carbs?

Anyway the only quick one coming to mind is maybe a whole wheat pasta primavera, saute some veggies (in water or oil) mix in the cooked pasta and add balsamic vinegar to taste. Probably not what you're looking for though.

No beans? No brown rice? No sandwiches? Wraps? Burritos? Tacos?

What about tofu scramble.
Hummus and veggies.
Stir fry veggies and tofu.

My 14 y/o niece has decided to become vegetarian. She lives in a household of 7 people for the next few months so with their grocery budget she won't be able to get any meat substitutes or expensive grains like quinoa. I've given her a few recipes but a lot of mine are pretty complex and being she's only 14 she needs quick, easy to cook meals. I went veg in my 20’s so I'm not sure if the nutrition requirements are the same for adults as they are for teenage girls. I want to be as helpful and supportive as possible so she remains healthy, doesn't carbo load and stays on the right track so her mother will continue to allow her to pursue this lifestyle while living at home. Any recipe suggestions or other advice?

There are some very useful and delicious recipes in Rose Elliot's Low Carb Diet book.

Does she like different types of ethnic cuisine, like Thai or Indian? Curries are really easy to whip up from a whole variety of vegetables. If there is an Asian market locally, the spices are really easy to get on the cheap, and they last a long time.

I'm not sure how one can survive on a veggie diet w/o carbs. Especially quick and easy ones. Maybe just avoid the processed carbs?

Also works if you remove the words 'veggie diet'. Fairly sure we're talking about the typical 'starchy carbs' that new, young veg*ns tend to load up on, though - potatoes, pasta, bread :)

I went vegetarian at 14 and began cooking for myself. Pizza, pasta and peanut butter sandwiches were dietary staples for a few weeks. As I learnt to cook, though, I moved more towards healthier meals. You could give her recipes for vegetable soups, curries, and stews, as they tend to be easy and cheap to make. I also enjoyed making vegetarian shepherds pie, made with soy mince or beans instead of lamb. Giving her a couple of quick pasta dishes would probably be fine too, as long as she knows not to eat them for every meal :p

Bean burgers. Can of beans, drained and rinsed, mashed with dry grains like oatmeal, or cooked grains like rice. Add enough bread crumbs or fresh bread crumbs to bind. Definitly spice up as liked- cumin, curry, garlic, onion, thyme, sage. Make patties and sautee

If she has access to a good blender, smoothies with greens and fruit are awesome. Some protien powder could be a good idea here, or at least things like chia seeds, flax, hemp, or nut butters.

I'd get her a supplement like Devas tiny tablets, and have iron checked for a baseline.

Glad you're there to support her!

Do they have an Aldis store? They're so much cheaper on things like fruits and veggies and have a variety of hummus. Even vegan fruit jels for a treat!

Also works if you remove the words 'veggie diet'. Fairly sure we're talking about the typical 'starchy carbs' that new, young veg*ns tend to load up on, though - potatoes, pasta, bread :)

I went vegetarian at 14 and began cooking for myself. Pizza, pasta and peanut butter sandwiches were dietary staples for a few weeks. As I learnt to cook, though, I moved more towards healthier meals. You could give her recipes for vegetable soups, curries, and stews, as they tend to be easy and cheap to make. I also enjoyed making vegetarian shepherds pie, made with soy mince or beans instead of lamb. Giving her a couple of quick pasta dishes would probably be fine too, as long as she knows not to eat them for every meal :p

Yes, it is delicious made with lots of onions and tomatoes, topped with a sweet potato mash.:lick:

Reactions: TreeHugger