A tablet made just for women

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is put out by a middle eastern company and not surprisingly, they said they are mostly being bought by husbands for wives. They need to include a divorce lawyer app.

Finding difficulty using that iPad or Kindle? Don't worry, ladies. There's finally an easy-to-use tablet just for us.

It's called the ePad Femme, and the Middle East–based Eurostar Group, who developed the product, are describing it as the "world's first tablet made exclusively for women." It's already going over about as well as the Bic "Cristal for Her" Ball Pen on Amazon.

The eight-inch tablet comes preloaded with a pink background and a number of apps (so we don't have to stress over the difficulty of doing it ourselves) that revolve around yoga, grocery shopping, weight loss, and cooking. If a 5-year-old can figure it out, we probably can too, right?
It's also Wi-Fi-accessible, runs on Android 4.0, and has 16GB of internal storage. But if we can't download our own apps, we certainly don't need to know what those numbers mean for the tablet or what we're able to do with an SD card slot.

The ePad Femme was first announced in October, but it was touted as a Valentine's Day gift idea.
"The Tablet comes preloaded with applications so you can just turn it on and log in to cooking recipes or yoga," Mani Nair, Associate Vice President for Marketing at Eurostar Group, told theJerusalem Post. "It makes a perfect gadget for a woman who might find difficulties in terms of downloading these applications and it is a quick reference."

Nair insists that the ePad Femme isn't sexist and explained that Eurostar Group is focusing on pre-loaded applications for many of their products....
http://mashable.com/2013/03/13/first-tablet-for-women/

Gizmodo has a great review of it (as do a lot of websites). :rofl:

Yoga, Clothes, Recipes, Perfume and Shopping Apps Pre-Loaded for Her Convenience
cb52e4daad2559d53a3f7ad1ed71ebda

Gary Cutlack -
That’s part of the amazing list of features offered by the ePad Femme, an incredibly patronising tablet for women that hides all the complicated things behind a simple user interface — enabling ladies to enjoy the complicated world of tablet computing for the first time.

Eurostar Group’s 8″ Android tablet comes with a simplified user interface based around very big and clear icons, ensuring the poor little dear can find what she needs and won’t accidentally press the wrong thing and end up lost and confused deep within the advanced Wi-Fi settings menu, where she may press the wrong thing and completely break it.

It is, says the maker, “the first tablet specifically for ladies,” although with Android 4.0 underneath and a 1.5GHz processor, it’s also something her husband will enjoy tinkering with too, once he’s sent her off to bed at the allotted time.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/03/yo...shopping-apps-pre-loaded-for-her-convenience/

I still can't figure out how to use my (obviously made for men) ipad. :(
Maybe it will start to make sense to me, if only I can find a pink case for it.

I can just about guarantee that some of these conveniently hidden apps are gps trackers and other spyware. Recently I read about a Saudi man getting a text "warning" him that his wife had bought an airline ticket.

ETA this is the article.

By Jennifer O'Mahony
9:50AM GMT 23 Nov 2012
Women in Saudi Arabia are now monitored by the government using an electronic system that tracks any cross-border movements, alerting their male guardians by text if they attempt to leave the country.

As of last week, Saudi women's male guardians began receiving text messages on their phones informing them when women under their custody leave the country, even if they are travelling together. Saudi women's rights activist Manal al-Sherif, who last year urged women to defy a driving ban, said a man had contacted her to say he had received a text from the immigration authorities while at the airport with his wife...."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...by-text-if-their-wives-leave-the-country.html

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but in my personal experience "older women" often do have challenges with electronic devices. Three examples being my wife, mother, and MIL.

But whether they are typical, or the exception, I can't say.

As for the GPS device, that's just plain ridiculous.

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but in my personal experience "older women" often do have challenges with electronic devices. Three examples being my wife, mother, and MIL.

Yes but older men can also struggle with it. It's not something that just women struggle with. Or not even old people, I'm sure younger people who haven't grown up around this technology would struggle. I personally cannot use any sort of games console (like x-box, playstation, wii, nintendo DS etc) because we never had one growing up and I've hardly ever used one. (I have got something like 40 hours of game play on Dragon Age on an x-box but that was for a study to see if playing on a games console can help people with dyspraxia. But it was only the last few times I played that I'd started not dying every time something tried to kill me. )
And as for technology for older people, like mobile phones, there are ones that are made for people who struggle. So large screen, large numbers, it speaks the numbers as you press them, and the one my family member has got, has a big orange button on the back as an SOS button. It will ring through up to 5 numbers you can programme into it until somebody picks up. It also sends an SOS text to those numbers. And it all kept very simple, not apps or anything like that.

Anyway, as for the tablet. I just can't express how angry it makes me.

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but in my personal experience "older women" often do have challenges with electronic devices.
If my two-year stint at Radio Shack is any indication, the technology-challenged is not limited to "older women" -- It's an all-encompassing club that includes people of all ages and genders.

If my two-year stint at Radio Shack is any indication, the technology-challenged is not limited to "older women" -- It's an all-encompassing club that includes people of all ages and genders.

Exactly.

For some reason almost all the older men I know think you need to type URLs into the google search box.

A few weeks ago I left a woman in her 40s, a woman in her 50s and a man in his 50s in my shop. I kept getting texts that they couldn't get on the Internet and asking me for the password. We don't have a password for the Internet so I had no idea what they were talking about. In the end I realised that I had left the browser open on my email and they were trying to log into the Internet through that.

It's not a female issue, this tablet is ********. Now a tablet for the technologically challenged, that makes sense.

I think making technology accessible to all is a great thing. So making things, like the mobile phones I mentioned, that are easy to use is really good. But not gender-based. Oh hell no.
But like the mobile phones, they not actually just for elderly people. It's likely that most of the people who use them are indeed elderly but they are also for people who want an easy to use phone, those with vision or hearing impairments, or those with limited dexterity etc etc.

So this tablet with its easy to use interface and large icons is actually really good for those who might struggle with using a tablet. But to say it's for women? Oh ******* hell no.

As for the GPS ****. Don't get me started.

I didn't mean to derail the thread with the gps thing; I'm just suspicious of the women being the targeted group, as Saudi women are well-educated as a rule.

I think an easy to use tablet is a great idea.

My sister and I debated getting a tablet for our octogenarian mom and setting it up to be really easy with just a few buttons, but our experience with her and tv remote controls decided us against it. When my dad was alive, he printed out all the emails for her to read. :D

And did you notice what the conveniently pre-loaded apps are? All having to do with shopping, cooking and exercise.
There's nothing wrong with making an easy to use tablet, but this one is just plain insulting. How would you feel if a male tablet came out and the pre-loaded apps consisted of sports, drinking, prostitutes phone numbers and listings of where to buy rape drugs.

Maybe next time they could make one for elderly people with apps that list funeral homes, casket dealers, tombstone makers and retail stores that carry adult diapers.

And did you notice what the conveniently pre-loaded apps are? All having to do with shopping, cooking and exercise.
There's nothing wrong with making an easy to use tablet, but this one is just plain insulting. How would you feel if a male tablet came out and the pre-loaded apps consisted of sports, drinking, prostitutes phone numbers and listings of where to buy rape drugs.

Maybe next time they could make one for elderly people with apps that list funeral homes, casket dealers, tombstone makers and retail stores that carry adult diapers.

Well, drop the rape drug app, and I'm all for it! Well, as long as the prostitute numbers come with sample pictures... :p

So what a Saudi woman might learn from this is if she's going to leave the country without her husband's knowledge (and permission), she's better off leaving behind her day-glo pink tab, and anything else with GPS tracking for that matter.

Technical ineptitude isn't even confided to the elderly, although I suppose my standards differs a bit.

Without even opening this thread, I guessed "pink" would be part of the description.

I just told my significant other about this, and her reply was "it sounds like the perfect tablet for 1954!"