Lady Gaga Blasts PETA

I think Peta has a point. Sorry but no excuse to wear fur. And if you are rich you can afford really great fake fur, so there is no reason for it.

It's not funny, though. There are people out there whose lives were saved and changed because of her.

I'm not trying to start any huge Lady Gaga debate but people tend to write her off too easily because of some of the crazy **** she does. I agree with her cause and I think some of the things she has done are amazing.

Reactions: Muggle
That's cool, bro... nobody can fault you for liking who you like... and given that I'm about 80 years older than you, we're not going to like the same people!

Reactions: FortyTwo
She seems more confused to me than hypocritical, based on what she said about it. I think maybe she's mistaking 'animal rights' in its abolitionist sense for a more welfare-type thing, wherein animals would be used but (preferably) without much pain or discomfort. I assume she has some sort of objective to achieve via... um... 'art' that she prioritises over this.

Sorry, I was going to put more thought into this but that second picture... I don't know whether to laugh or what. What IS that thing? Why is there a dog? And why does she look like someone from the 40's trying to look like someone from the 50's while being trapped somewhere in the 70's? :eek:

Sorry, I was going to put more thought into this but that second picture... I don't know whether to laugh or what. What IS that thing? Why is there a dog? And why does she look like someone from the 40's trying to look like someone from the 50's while being trapped somewhere in the 70's? :eek:

Not a dog, a dead wolf. :(

I think it doesn't even matter whether we see meat and fur as the same not just ethically but politically -- as e.g. Francione does -- or not. What remains is that she not only wears fur but made some really stupid and cruel comments about it. If Garth Brooks releases a statement to the media where he's specifically talking about how much he loves his steak and how he respects his fans' feelings about animal rights and also really likes factory farms, and then uses some stupid argument about how PETA should feed starving kids, I'm going to go ahead and say that Garth Brooks is a moron, and another in a long line of useless celebrities.

I think it's good that Lady Gaga is using her celebrity and *cough* music *cough* to support gay rights. At least that way she does some good. But there are plenty of supporters of political causes important to me that are otherwise idiots.

From the article:

"I have truly always stayed away from skinned fur, especially I have never been able to afford a nice one, but this does not mean my morals are rigid and that I won't bend at the sight of an absolute art piece of a coat," Gaga asserts. "I have no chains about this. You see a carcass, I see a museum pièce de résistance."

So, animal rights don't matter when it's for "art"? Yep, obviously a massively important cause to her.

Theres this great gif set I saw on Tumblr. I cant find it now but its of her being interviewed saying she owes her 'style' to no one, 'I am not influenced by anyone' then there follows pictures of her fashion styles compared to Madonna, David Bowie etcetc...Shes a giant hypocrit. Sorry I think shes vile, shes not a hero(Sorry 42) ok maybe some people found help in her music. But to me thats not worthy of the title 'Hero'

I'm not even sure what her "cause" is. I'm pretty sure there are other people out there more worthy of the title Hero than Lady Gaga. Besides making "music," what does she do to promote her causes and help people? (This is a serious question, I really don't know.)

I think she's a hypocrite, though clever at marketing herself. Pretending she's not influenced by anyone must be very appealing to people who think they are special snowflakes.

I am a massive fan of Tori Amos. Her first album had a song recounting her sexual assault. After I was raped, I found a huge amount of solace and strength in her music. She cofounded an organization meant to help survivors of sexual assault and rape. I still wouldn't call her a "hero." She's a musician and an artist, not a hero.

I'm not even sure what her "cause" is. I'm pretty sure there are other people out there more worthy of the title Hero than Lady Gaga. Besides making "music," what does she do to promote her causes and help people? (This is a serious question, I really don't know.)

I think she's a hypocrite, though clever at marketing herself. Pretending she's not influenced by anyone must be very appealing to people who think they are special snowflakes.

I am a massive fan of Tori Amos. Her first album had a song recounting her sexual assault. After I was raped, I found a huge amount of solace and strength in her music. She cofounded an organization meant to help survivors of sexual assault and rape. I still wouldn't call her a "hero." She's a musician and an artist, not a hero.
Her cause is serving Lady Gaga. I'm glad there are people who feel empowered by her themes, but I am sad for them that they can't find an actual hero to be inspired by. Heroes are people who make real sacrifices for the good of others. Lady Gaga only espouses what's good for Lady Gaga, and if by accident it helps other people, well all the more benefit for Lady Gaga.

It's not funny, though. There are people out there whose lives were saved and changed because of her.

I'm not trying to start any huge Lady Gaga debate but people tend to write her off too easily because of some of the crazy **** she does. I agree with her cause and I think some of the things she has done are amazing.
My daughter respects Gaga for her work on anti-bullying, especially of young gay men. Her website helped my daughter's friend who was struggling with a bad roommate situation in college. (Basically, ignorant redneck meets fabulous cross-dresser.) So I agree. I hate the fur hypocrisy, but respect Gaga for helping out. And for trying to keep prices on her downloads and concerts less expensive instead of being a big hog about the money.