Kitchen appliances - which are and which aren't worth the money?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I'm curious as to which kitchen appliances VVers use most often, and which are a complete waste of money. (I know there's a bread machine in my pantry that hasn't been used in years and a giant crock pot :rolleyes:).

My most used appliance is probably my Vitamix, and I use it all the time. Now that I'm making my own "butter" and mayonnaise, as well as lots of cashew cheeses, I'm so glad I have it. My least used appliance (that resides in the kitchen) is probably my kitchen-aid mixer. It's just so heavy. I have an inexpensive hand-held mixer that I reach for far more often.

So what appliances do you use all the time, which do you use on occasion, and which should never have been purchased and why?

Last edited:
Microwave ovens are definitely worth the money.

I think having a dishwasher would also be worth it, although we haven't ever had one while living here. (British houses / flats are small ...)

Some kind of blender is also a necessity, I think, for making smoothies.

Well, it all depends on your particular situation, obviously. If I had a less busy life and had the opportunity to live somewhere closer to nature, then I probably wouldn't mind giving up some of the modern comforts.

Last edited:
Electric kettle.

Toaster(mine broke)

Food processor, which I used to use a lot, but not much these days.

Microwave would have to be number 1 as we use this constantly. I also use the toaster oven as we do not have a toaster. Coffee maker (Kuerig) is next then the Ninja blender/food processor. The mixer is seldom used because I really don't bake that much. While I love homemade bread, the bread machine is sadly under utilized And though I wanted a crockpot, we don't use it much at all.

Espresso machine and Vitamix are tied in our household in position one. Electric kettle is number 2.

Not so sure about microwave ovens. While I do not really believe the claims heard sometimes (but as far as I know not backed up by solid science) that they are the work of the devil and turn food into poison, I still do not feel the wish to use ours if not absolutely necessary (which is very seldom the case)

We had a bread maker once, but have moved on to simply kneading our sourdough by hand and baking it in the oven. Not much more work, but much less cleaning.

Reactions: Poppy
The things I use the most are the kettle, toaster, washing machine, tumble dryer and the smoothie maker. I have a stick blender that I use for soup. I just wash by hand so I don't have a dishwasher.

ETA - My husband uses the toastie maker a lot. His idea of cooking.:D

I keep considering buying a crock pot, breadmaker, microwave and a washer dryer, but I haven't got around to it so maybe there isn't a burning reason to buy any of those things.

Best investment was the Vitamix and immersion blender. I use the microwave multiple times a day, and the toaster a few times a week. We used the air fryer daily when we first got it, but only occasionally now.

I never use the crock pot, very rarely the food processor and rice maker, and tried the pressure cooker once and didn't like it.

Many, many, many years ago I had a breadmaker and used it all the time. Then I suddenly stopped using it and gave it away. It's easy enough to make it by hand that I wouldn't invest in another one. Plus, I think the homemade bread comes out better than the breadmaker bread.

I use the Keurig maybe once or twice a week, I'm not a big hot coffee drinker. But it's convenient when I do want one.

Reactions: Poppy
I got the Zyliss EasyPull Food Processor: Shop Zyliss - Award Winning, Designer Kitchen Tools and Gadgets last year and I absolutely LOVE it!! <3 It easily paid for itself the very first week.... I use it constantly, it works like a dream, it's saved my aging hands SO much pain, and it uses NO ELECTRICITY!! :D

$_35.JPG

I forgot about the salad shooter. I loved that thing, I have no idea what I did with it. :???:

Oooooh ... totally forgot about the rice cooker. Yes, that one is used at least 3 times a week in our household.
And daily in a typical Asian household that has not heard about pasta yet.

Most-used appliances: food processor, immersion blender, stand mixer, hand mixer, toaster.
Least-used: bread machine, though it was only recently given to me by my mom, so it may climb the ladder at some point. I also had a pressure cooker that I never used so I gave it away.