Keto

Syd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everyone,

Nice to find you all. I have recently turned vegan after long time vegetarian. One thing I noticed is less inflammation.

Anyway, I have recently been trying a keto diet and it is somewhat unfeasible to have only 5% carbs and 80% fat on a long term vegan diet unless you really don't care about how your food tastes. I have found though that I can do 20% net carbs and 65% fat on a diet where I am getting all my micronutrients with little supplementation. This does seem to satisfy some definitions of keto.

So, I started this thread under recipes as I hoped to meet others doing this diet and share recipes that assist with keto on here. The search didn't have any results for keto so it may be the first.

I saw recipes in earlier recipes for tahini dressing and hummus which I am including in my diet. Thanks to the poster.

Chat soon...

Reactions: betiPT
Hey Syd,

Why are you going keto? It would be interesting to hear your view point.
Hi,

I have realised that it is very hard to do a strict Keto as a vegan. I am not sure I can consider what I've been doing as Keto or not. I have been eating 65% fats, 15% net carbs, 20% protein for the past week. I feel great on running my body on primarily healthy fats. That's my main reason for wanting this diet.

I have heard it is a cleaner source of energy without the mood swings that come with high carb diets due to spiking insulin levels especially with lots of sugar in your diet. Additionally, it has helped with my gas and IBS from eating lots of fiber possibly. No IBS now.

Inflammation has gone down. I usually have flem in the morning. This morning I woke up and realised...I have no flem to spit out.

It also helps with anxiety and sleep. It seems I sleep less and feel more rested. Averaging about 6 hours at night with an hours nap in the afternoon probably just because I am.used to doing that. Yesterday, I realised I didnt need to nap but I felt great after doing so. I think I am more productive and think clearly as well.

I have been vegetarian a long time and recently tried vegan. I felt less inflammation since going vegan and felt I have been missing out on so much by being an ovo lacto vegetarian but had lots of IBS and gas. So far, making fat my main source of fuel seems to be amplify the the affects goodness that comes with being vegan.

What I ate this week:

An assortment of nuts
Salad with olive oil and other dressings
(lettuce, cherry tomato, whole avocado, spices)
Grilled tempeh
Steamed spinach and other greens
Coconut curry (with full fat coconut milk) with broccoli, mushroom and other veg

Kidney beans with I soaked overnight and then steamed for 30 min(tastes like boiled nuts)

Hummus(I may have found the recipe here):
300gram can of chickpeas
2 garlic cloves
3 teaspoons of tahini with 3 teaspoons of water
1tsp of cumin spice(makes all the difference)
1tsp of cajun spice
Lemon juice from half a lemon

I had one or two pieces of dark chocolate a few days

Had about 50 grams of blueberries almost every day

I don't think I would want to go strictly Keto and just drink olive oil all day so this 65% fat seems to be the sweet spot for me. I should mention that I don't count calories for the amount of greens I eat.

I have been guided by watching videos from Dr Berg. You can find his videos on Youtube. There is one on Vegan Keto foods in particular that inspired me to do it.

Last edited:
Ditch the Keto diet.

Yes, I know it gets results. but its now considered one of the worst diets out there.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/health/keto-worst-diet-2018/index.html

Hang out here long enough, or go back thru some of my threads. I am always posting links to articles about how low carb diets are being proven to be unhealthy.

The "vegan diet" is the most ethical diet. Not sure if it's the healthiest, but diets like it are considered very healthy. The Med diet is one of the healthiest. And so is the flexitarian diet.

If you need a good vegan diet, just adopt the WFPB diet (Forks over knives diet).

A really good ratio to go for is 20% protein, 20% fat, and 60% carbs.

Remember that all the veggies are loaded with carbs. Veggies have lots of micronutrients and phytonutrients. The carbs are also the best thing to burn for energy.

Intuitively, I think a lot of articles and research are due to the influence of big corporations that make high carbohydrate products.

It is also shocking that many doctors have said that there is not one course in med school on nutrition when they studied.

This feels right to me in so many ways.

Inflammation has gone down. I usually have flem in the morning. This morning I woke up and realised...I have no flem to spit out.
OMG - I just realized I don't wake up and blow my nose first thing in the morning like I have done for years. Wow - It's been 1-1/2 years and I never even noticed that. Geez - the stuff we live with as normal and think is totally acceptable :/

First of all, congrats on going from vegetarian to vegan. :) I've personally never tried a keto diet (either as an omnivore or the Vegan version) so I can't really comment on that from a personal perspective. That said, I thought I might just comment on a few things you have expressed:

I have heard it is a cleaner source of energy without the mood swings that come with high carb diets due to spiking insulin levels especially with lots of sugar in your diet. Additionally, it has helped with my gas and IBS from eating lots of fiber possibly. No IBS now.

Most people complain of bloating when going vegan, and this is usually a relatively temporary symptom while your body adjusts to higher fiber content on a daily basis. The time it takes to switch your microbiome (your gut flora) will vary from person to person. That being said, some have problems due to extended damage done over the years with certain types of food as well as drugs and especially routine antibiotics.

Insulin spikes:
Hi carb diet need not spike insulin levels. If the food consumed is in it’s whole form, it will generally have a lower glycemic index due to fiber and/or resistant starch. Often something like fruit juice (a sweet fruit) can cause a sugar rush/fall but eating the whole fruit will not do this. Bananas cause a slight spike but this is primarily due to the fact that most people don’t eat the peel with the banana. Also (if peeled) and mixed in something like oats they don’t spike insulin either.

I don't think I would want to go strictly Keto and just drink olive oil all day so this 65% fat seems to be the sweet spot for me. I should mention that I don't count calories for the amount of greens I eat.

Eating olive (or any other) oil as a primary calorie source such as suggested in your quote can actually be deadly. As it contains typically only one vitamin (Vit E), and is void of all others and all minerals, consuming it as a primary calorie source over time is a quick way to get deficient very fast. If you’re serious about continuing a Vegan keto diet, make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals with whole, healthy fats (tahini, peanut butter, cashew butter, whole flax seeds etc) and low on isolates like oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calories

Considering energy foods as adequate nutrition was first scientifically demonstrated to be false by François Magendie by experiments on dogs and described in his Précis élémentaire de Physiologie. He showed that eating only sugar, olive oil, or butter, each led to the death of his test animals in 30 to 40 days.[3]

Footnote 3 : Magendie, F. (1816) "Sur les propriétés nutritives des substances qui ne contiennent pas d’ azote", Annales de Chimie (ser. 2) 3:66-77, 408–410.

Reactions: Emma JC
First of all, congrats on going from vegetarian to vegan. :) I've personally never tried a keto diet (either as an omnivore or the Vegan version) so I can't really comment on that from a personal perspective. That said, I thought I might just comment on a few things you have expressed:

Most people complain of bloating when going vegan, and this is usually a relatively temporary symptom while your body adjusts to higher fiber content on a daily basis. The time it takes to switch your microbiome (your gut flora) will vary from person to person. That being said, some have problems due to extended damage done over the years with certain types of food as well as drugs and especially routine antibiotics.

Insulin spikes:
Hi carb diet need not spike insulin levels. If the food consumed is in it’s whole form, it will generally have a lower glycemic index due to fiber and/or resistant starch. Often something like fruit juice (a sweet fruit) can cause a sugar rush/fall but eating the whole fruit will not do this. Bananas cause a slight spike but this is primarily due to the fact that most people don’t eat the peel with the banana. Also (if peeled) and mixed in something like oats they don’t spike insulin either.

Eating olive (or any other) oil as a primary calorie source such as suggested in your quote can actually be deadly. As it contains typically only one vitamin (Vit E), and is void of all others and all minerals, consuming it as a primary calorie source over time is a quick way to get deficient very fast. If you’re serious about continuing a Vegan keto diet, make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals with whole, healthy fats (tahini, peanut butter, cashew butter, whole flax seeds etc) and low on isolates like oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calories

Considering energy foods as adequate nutrition was first scientifically demonstrated to be false by François Magendie by experiments on dogs and described in his Précis élémentaire de Physiologie. He showed that eating only sugar, olive oil, or butter, each led to the death of his test animals in 30 to 40 days.[3]

Footnote 3 : Magendie, F. (1816) "Sur les propriétés nutritives des substances qui ne contiennent pas d’ azote", Annales de Chimie (ser. 2) 3:66-77, 408–410.
Thanks for your input. Thats the reason I say 65% is my sweet spot. Thats how I am able to get enough mictonutrients.

Last edited:
Intuitively, I think a lot of articles and research are due to the influence of big corporations that make high carbohydrate products.

It is also shocking that many doctors have said that there is not one course in med school on nutrition when they studied.

This feels right to me in so many ways.

There is so much evidence that the Keto diet is bad for you, it's not funny. Not sure why people are so stubborn about it. Sure it gets results but then so do a lot of healthy diets. Next thing you are going to tell me is you want to combine Paleo with a vegan diet. ( BTW, someone has already asked that question)

Not intuitively, but based on research and reporting, A lot of research is influenced by big food companies. They have little interest in protecting our vegetable crops - that is not where they make the big bucks. What they protect is Meat, Dairy, and eggs.

You want to see muddied waters. Try to figure out the "recommended" number of eggs to eat a week. Or which is worse fat or sugar? (check out the big Pepsicola/Colorado State University Scandal while you are at it.)

Meanwhile although Doctors are not formally trained in nutrition, nurses are and of course so are Dieticians. and you can read what they have to say about vegan diets. And all the Doctors us vegans read admit they are self-educated as far as WFPB diets go. In fact, most admit that their conclusions were a surprise to themselves.

Here is a little empirical evidence for my claim. Check out the budgets for the dairy board (75 million*) and the egg board (20 million**). In case you didn't know, these are government agencies that spend taxpayers dollars to promote milk and eggs. Then check out the budge for the Broccoli Board, the Soybean Board, and the Almond Board. Oh, wait! you can't. there are no Vegetable Boards.

*Got Milk?
**The Incredible Egg

...Even in the instances where it is indicated for a certain result (I've heard some Epilepsy patients or something?), it was never intended to be a long-term, forever diet.

Yes. I'm not positive about this but I think that even in the Keto Books they say that it is not a long term diet.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
many people go 'keto' to lose weight and as many before me have pointed out "you can eat rubber and lose weight, or grass or just about anything and lose weight" so losing weight shouldn't be the only reason to choose keto and as @Lou points out there are few other valid reasons.... the science does not support the health of keto

Emma JC

When I reply to a hardcore Keto person with the fact that they can almost both be Vegan and Keto at the same time, I'm usually rewarded with a barrage hostile language. lol. Especially after I suggest to them that the "supermarket meat" version of the Keto diet is basically being renamed "the Angioplasty Diet."

Being Vegan is so easy and gratifying. All you need to do is have the ability to read and research a little. You'll be rewarded with continuing improving health, and weight loss (if it's in fact balanced).

Why Keto is necessary, I don't quite see.

many people go 'keto' to lose weight and as many before me have pointed out "you can eat rubber and lose weight, or grass or just about anything and lose weight" so losing weight shouldn't be the only reason to choose keto and as @Lou points out there are few other valid reasons.... the science does not support the health of keto

Emma JC

don't forget the twinkies diet

I just watched a great video of Dr Klaper being interviewed on Plant Based News and it is great. He addresses the carnivore diet and keto at the beginning and then goes on to other amazing topics.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou