Keto

Thank you, a lot of information and some chips learned for yourself. I'm just an athlete, and I want to get rid of excess fat now. As far as I know, the keto diet, which is now gaining popularity, can help me. And it seems to me for a reason, because you can eat any fatty food that contains proteins and carbohydrates, almost in any amount. The main thing is simply to reduce the intake of complex carbohydrates. So it seems to me that there is nothing complicated in this. The only thing I can say is that you need to eat more vegetables because if you only eat meat, it is tough for the body to digest it, you need to consume more fiber. I read this from an interesting article about ketosis.

Last edited:
Thank you, a lot of information and some chips learned for yourself. I'm just an athlete, and I want to get rid of excess fat now. As far as I know, the keto diet, which is now gaining popularity, can help me. And it seems to me for a reason, because you can eat any fatty food that contains proteins and carbohydrates, almost in any amount. The main thing is simply to reduce the intake of complex carbohydrates. So it seems to me that there is nothing complicated in this. The only thing I can say is that you need to eat more vegetables because if you only eat meat, it is tough for the body to digest it, you need to consume more fiber. I read this from an interesting article about ketosis.

key words.... do a bit more research and actually read information from both sides of the discussion

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
Hi everyone,

Nice to find you all. I have recently turned vegan after long time vegetarian. One thing I noticed is less inflammation.

Anyway, I have recently been trying a keto diet and it is somewhat unfeasible to have only 5% carbs and 80% fat on a long term vegan diet unless you really don't care about how your food tastes. I have found though that I can do 20% net carbs and 65% fat on a diet where I am getting all my micronutrients with little supplementation. This does seem to satisfy some definitions of keto.

So, I started this thread under recipes as I hoped to meet others doing this diet and share recipes that assist with Keto recipe on here. The search didn't have any results for keto so it may be the first.

I saw recipes in earlier recipes for tahini dressing and hummus which I am including in my diet. Thanks to the poster.

Chat soon...
hello,
today I'm starting my two-week experiment with vegetarian keto. The reasons for this are:
- enjoying the mental clarity after eating keto breakfasts. I want to explore these benefits further.
- checking how keto affects my GPP
- checking whether vegetarian keto is sustainable in the long term

My current training goals: recovering from an injury, GPP, mental clarity
My current training: correctives, light/medium intensity and strenght training, a+a training, aerobic cardio

The products I want to base on:
primary products:
- eggs (lots of them)
- butter
- cheese
- tofu
- low carb soy products
- tempeh
- tahini
- avocado
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- lots of greens and keto friendly vegetables

secondary products:
- greek yoghurt
- cottage cheese
- peanut butter
- cocoa

My question is: is there anybody experienced in vegetarian keto? Do you think it's doable in the long-term? Looking at the product list do you see any potential mineral deficits I can run into?

Hello. Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure why you think you can get good answers in a VEGAN forum. But I'm glad you thought you would try.
First off I probably need to disclose that I am severely biased against Keto diets. I probably should recuse myself but I think my biases were created by facts not fiction.
Keto is one of the worst diets that are being sold to the public.
There are new studies showing Keto is linked with cancer, kidney failure, and heart disease.
And it IS unsustainable. All of the doctors who have written Keto Diet books say (usually in the first chapter) that it is a short term diet and not heathy to stay on for longer than 6 months. Most of the doctor recommended plans are for 3 to 6 weeks.
The one good thing I can say about Keto is that it IS effective. People on the keto diet DO lose weight. However studies show that people who lose weight rapidly (including keto dieters) are likely to gain it right back.

Weight loss isn't even in your list of objective so I don't know why you would even consider Keto a good idea.

I'm not sure what is in your Keto breakfast but it must not include many carbs. Perhaps your previous non-keto breakfasts had something in them to created brain fog. and all you have to do is eliminate that.

The thing is low carb diets are just bad. It turns out that carbs are really good for you. Fruits and vegetables are high in carbs and they are also high in all your vitamins and minerals.

A lot of nutritionists talking bout diets categorized by the percentage of Carbs, protein and fats.
Keto is generally a 10-20-70 diet. The concept is that by eating very little carbs you force your body into ketogenesis. I really don't understand why anyone would do that. I know that there are some benefits but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

IMHO, a better diet is one that is more balanced. Something like a 60-20-20 diet.

-----
I just scrolled thru this thread. I suggest you go back to the beginning and read some of the posts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure why you think you can get good answers in a VEGAN forum. But I'm glad you thought you would try.
First off I probably need to disclose that I am severely biased against Keto diets. I probably should recuse myself but I think my biases were created by facts not fiction.
Keto is one of the worst diets that are being sold to the public.
There are new studies showing Keto is linked with cancer, kidney failure, and heart disease.
And it IS unsustainable. All of the doctors who have written Keto Diet books say (usually in the first chapter) that it is a short term diet and not heathy to stay on for longer than 6 months. Most of the doctor recommended plans are for 3 to 6 weeks.
The one good thing I can say about Keto is that it IS effective. People on the keto diet DO lose weight. However studies show that people who lose weight rapidly (including keto dieters) are likely to gain it right back.

Weight loss isn't even in your list of objective so I don't know why you would even consider Keto a good idea.

I'm not sure what is in your Keto breakfast but it must not include many carbs. Perhaps your previous non-keto breakfasts had something in them to created brain fog. and all you have to do is eliminate that.

The thing is low carb diets are just bad. It turns out that carbs are really good for you. Fruits and vegetables are high in carbs and they are also high in all your vitamins and minerals.

A lot of nutritionists talking bout diets categorized by the percentage of Carbs, protein and fats.
Keto is generally a 10-20-70 diet. The concept is that by eating very little carbs you force your body into ketogenesis. I really don't understand why anyone would do that. I know that there are some benefits but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

IMHO, a better diet is one that is more balanced. Something like a 60-20-20 diet.

-----
I just scrolled thru this thread. I suggest you go back to the beginning and read some of the posts.

If I could agree with this post 10 times then I would!

Just reading that list of fatty, high protein foods made my guts twist and my entire body cringed.

I do hope you reconsider your decision for your health's sake and also for the animals' sake!!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I find it so strange that anyone veg'n would take any interest in keto. Everyone I've known to try it only liked it because it allowed so much meat dairy and eggs!
A plant based diet is the healthiest, and the best for keeping full with it's nutrient dense, and caloricly low foods.
Keto makes even less sense as a vegan