Just Scramble - Vegan Egg

we'll have to see.
If the stuff can scramble like real egg, maybe it would be ok in sponge cake.
It could scramble well while not working well in other contexts. I doubt it would work for this, but it doesn't really mater since you can make sponge cake without eggs. And just to be clear, I was referring to traditional sponge cake that isn't made with any baking powder and instead with fluffed eggs...it usually takes 2~3 eggs and another 4~6 egg whites.

I think its best to think about replacing eggs on a case-by-case basis.

I doubt it would work for this, but it doesn't really mater since you can make sponge cake without eggs.

the cakes I've made without egg, have been a bit crumbly....I did get some egg replacer, but it didn't make any difference; I tried using banana, which just made it more moist and heavy...never used flaxseed though.

I think it must be important to the texture of ordinary cake.....I think heavy cakes like Christmas cake probably don't need egg though.

I would just like it if shop cakes could use a replacement for egg.

the cakes I've made without egg, have been a bit crumbly....I did get some egg replacer, but it didn't make any difference; I tried using banana, which just made it more moist and heavy...never used flaxseed though.

I think it must be important to the texture of ordinary cake.....I think heavy cakes like Christmas cake probably don't need egg though.

I would just like it if shop cakes could use a replacement for egg.

As well as flaxseed, cornstarch can be used as a binder in some cake recipes. The lower-fat chocolate Bundt cake in the Veganomicon is a good basic recipe that uses cornstarch. I've used that recipe as a starting point for other cakes (including a rather wonderful chocolate marzipan cake), and I don't think anyone would be able to tell that it's egg free.

With respect to how long it takes to make tofu scramble - it certainly takes no longer than scrambled eggs or an egg omelet - less time than the latter, and less finicky than an egg omelet, IME. I just crumble the tofu with my hands as I'm putting it into the skillet after draining it.

Tofu scramble only takes about 5 minutes, or am I doing it wrong?:D

Tofu scramble takes me a good 20-30 minutes and I absolutely cannot stand tofu scramble that is mushy and/or undercooked.
  • Dice onions and garlic.
  • Add tbsps of olive oil to pan, heat, and saute onions and garlic for ~5 minutes.
  • While onion-garlic mix is browning, cut up block of extra firm tofu and squeeze out excess water.
  • Crumble tofu into pan.
  • Add liberal amounts of kala namak, tumeric, smoked paprika, and ground pepper.
  • Saute for ~10 minutes until tofu begins to appreciably brown.
  • Add a cup or nutritional yeast.
  • Saute for another ~1-2 minutes.
  • Deglaze with squeeze of braggs or soy sauce.
  • Serve

Last edited:
Just scramble is intended as a replacement for scrambled eggs not eggs in baked goods. And while it's been a very long time since I made scrambled eggs, I recall that it only takes a couple of minutes and tastes lovely. I personally am quite excited about a vegan facsimile that would allow me to make toast, Just scramble, gardein sausage and beans in a flash.

Beyond eggs has been selling a commercial egg replacer intended for baked goods to large companies for some time (sorghum/pea protein* isolates i believe). I think this mix will be available in stores towards the end of the year.

Reactions: ledboots
Tofu scramble takes me a good 20-30 minutes and I absolutely cannot stand tofu scramble that is mushy and/or undercooked.
  • Dice onions and garlic.
  • Add tbsps of olive oil to pan, heat, and saute onions and garlic for ~5 minutes.
  • While onion-garlic mix is browning, cut up block of extra firm tofu and squeeze out excess water.
  • Crumble tofu into pan.
  • Add liberal amounts of kala namak, tumeric, smoked paprika, and ground pepper.
  • Saute for ~10 minutes until tofu begins to appreciably brown.
  • Add a cup or nutritional yeast.
  • Saute for another ~1-2 minutes.
  • Deglaze with squeeze of braggs or soy sauce.
  • Serve

Well, yeah, if you are going to sautee onions and garlic, that's going to add to the cooking time. It would add to the cooking time of scrambled eggs too. You sound as though you like your tofu well browned - most of use think of what you're describing as fried tofu, not a tofu scramble.

There is no reason why the cake has to be crumbly without eggs. When replacing egg in a recipe its important to know what function the egg is playing in the recipe, for example banana only works well if the egg is primarily a source of fat and moisture. I wouldn't use banana for a cake, it doesn't provide the proper role and it changes the flavor. Though flax works well, but its critical that you soak finely ground flax in water for 10~15 minutes (~3 tablespoons of water per 1 tablespoon of ground flax). It will actually start to feel and look like egg whites after soaked. The only issue with flax is that it can change the color so doesn't work well for white cake...but in that case you can use flax gel (i.e., where you extract the gel from soaked ground flax).

In any case, I don't eat cake much but I've made vegan cupcakes, cake, etc for parties all the time and nobody knows its vegan.

Well, yeah, if you are going to sautee onions and garlic, that's going to add to the cooking time. It would add to the cooking time of scrambled eggs too. You sound as though you like your tofu well browned - most of use think of what you're describing as fried tofu, not a tofu scramble.

Careful now...the debate about the best way to scramble tofu is an extremely polarizing one. ;)

Weird people who cook their tofu scramble for ages. :pI like the tofu to be soft, like scrambled eggs used to be.

One way I like tofu is baked in the oven until it is hard and chewy, I think it tastes a bit like omelette when it's cooked that way. Now I want tofu.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Mischief
Weird people who cook their tofu scramble for ages. :pI like the tofu to be soft, like scrambled eggs used to be.

One way I like tofu is baked in the oven until it is hard and chewy, I think it tastes a bit like omelette when it's cooked that way. Now I want tofu.:rolleyes:

I never want tofu. Having said that I eat it quite frequently.:(;):D

Yeah... Anything less and it'd definitely be undercooked. I do cook it with a fair amount of liquid, though, which takes a while to cook out - maybe other people don't do that?

Well, here's how I do mine ..

Mash the tofu before hand

Quick stir fry of some quite finely chopped onion, mixed peppers and mushroom

Add some turmeric and Marigold brand boullion powder to the fry

Mix in the tofu and stir till heated through

Season with salt & pepper to taste

That's it. Done. Whole job takes 10-15 minutes.