Just had the "impossible" burger - Avoid!

I see it as a good thing, then people wouldn’t feel like they’re giving up meat. I don’t think it tastes exactly like meat, it is made from plants, it’s impossible to replicate it exactly. I think the impossible burger is too dry, texture is off, and just doesn’t taste good. I think it would put meat eaters off from vegan alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
I tried the Impossible Whopper. It was O.K., but overpriced.

My sister loves the Gardein fishless fillets. I did the first time I tried them, but not since.

I think I'm just developing less liking for meat analogs in general. I like Aldi's hot dogs, and the chicken-less patties are fairly good. Sometimes I like a Tofurky hickory smoked sandwich slice sandwich, but that's about it. (Other than certain flavored TVP crumbles.)

I see it as a good thing, then people wouldn’t feel like they’re giving up meat. I don’t think it tastes exactly like meat, it is made from plants, it’s impossible to replicate it exactly. I think the impossible burger is too dry, texture is off, and just doesn’t taste good. I think it would put meat eaters off from vegan alternatives.
I too thought the Impossible Whopper wasn't very meatlike - dry, and not a hamburger texture.

I wonder how many people would like the taste of plain meat, without toppings, sauces, breading, etc.
Steak, rare, is the favorite of many people.

Roast beef is rarely seasoned, and is popular. The same for the ubiquitous Thanksgiving turkey. The same with shrimp, lobster, oysters, etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Poppy
I've accidently had meat over the years. The last time was at Trader Joes. I always partake of the coffee samples and see what food they have to sample. The sign said it was a veggie blend, so I picked up a cup and saw what i thought was cauliflower. I bit into it and immediately tasted bile coming up and I spit in back into the cup. This is whats happened every time. It is a very distinctive taste, I've had it from the wrong fried rice as well as when I thought my son got the same veggie sub from Subway and it was chicken. I don't even associate what it was right away, esp that Subway sandwich. I thought about spoiled something, rancid, till he told me. The TJ's thing was also chicken.
I couldn't go near anything resembling meat when I first stopped eating it, well besides the veggie things I was used to eating, like Boca and Morningstar. After some time I started using things more and no association with meat.

I love Beyond Meat burgers and sausage- esp sausage. I have no interest in Impossible- p;ssed me off too much

That's interesting. I don't remember the last time I had meat but I remember why I don't like it. Gristle, first of all, ewww. Also, I remember I always hated left-over or reheated chicken, it tasted rotten to me and I could only eat "fresh" chicken. I think this is the cause of the response I immediately had to vegan chicken fingers, the first time I tried them all I could think was "this is what I always wanted chicken to taste like. " The good parts without any of the rotten aftertaste. Dead bodies are gross. I also am utterly disgusted by bacon grease, it always strikes me as odd when bacon is the one animal food people say they cannot live without.

That's exactly what I thought. If you order one from Burger King I think they're totally upstaged by the fries. It's because without the fat from animal products (mayo, cheese) the Impossible Burger alone is pretty dry and meh. I didn't find it gross, I just didn't find it particularly good. I don't find it worth it because it's also all of this lab made, gmo non-sense, where as Beyond Burgers I think have a better health profile (though neither are "whole foods").

I've had Beyond Burgers numerous ways, including "dryer" without Vegenaise or Chao cheese or whatever. I like them all dressed up with the fixins, but I would assert that they're better with just ketchup and lettuce than an Impossible Burger.

i live near a hamburger place called the Counter. (BTW they have a great bean burger that is $4 cheaper than the Impossible Burger.

When the Impossible Burger came out I had it there out of curiosity. I even went back to try out the IB version 2.

They were both a little too salty for my tastes. But otherwise, I thought they were fine. but not as good as the Bean burger.

The Counter is one of those places where you get to build your own burger. I had mine without a bun and on a bed of mixed greens. and I added vegan cheddar, vegan mayo, scallions, lettuce, red onions, alfalfa sprouts, grilled red onions, sliced cucumbers, baby spinach, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, carrot strings, and marinaated artichokes.

The chef could have forgotten to put in the patty and i might not have noticed. ;)

That's exactly what I thought. If you order one from Burger King I think they're totally upstaged by the fries. It's because without the fat from animal products (mayo, cheese) the Impossible Burger alone is pretty dry and meh. I didn't find it gross, I just didn't find it particularly good. I don't find it worth it because it's also all of this lab made, gmo non-sense, where as Beyond Burgers I think have a better health profile (though neither are "whole foods").

I've had Beyond Burgers numerous ways, including "dryer" without Vegenaise or Chao cheese or whatever. I like them all dressed up with the fixins, but I would assert that they're better with just ketchup and lettuce than an Impossible Burger.
I don't even like fries. The beyond meat isn't dry, imo. I do add ketchup, mayo, mustard, but I prefer burgers without any cheese.

I didn't hate the taste of meat before giving it up, but I never wanted it after. All my life I have loved soy products, and all the 'faux' meats that were around in the 70's. I esp loved my schools soy burgers far more than meat, as well as whatever Boca type chik;n patties there were than
I stopped at Burger King on a mission to try the Impossible Burger after work. I was hungry, tired, had nothing ready and craved fast food. I should have gotten fries
It was VERY beef burger like- cheap beef burger like. I got it no cheese or mayo, and just the bun and the toppings would have been a better idea. It wasn't greasy, pretty dry, but now I feel so yucky! Not nauseous really, just like yucky.

I wish I'd thought of Subway. I really like Subway and haven't had it in a very long time

Impossible is NOTHING like Beyond!

I don't really understand the statistics in this article, but I think its good news for the animals.

• 92% of Impossible Burger sales come directly at the expense of animal-derived meats — thus, Impossible Burger is displacing animal-derived foods for 72% of total purchases.

That's always good, as long as it's reducing the amount of meat people are eating. I don't know why someone would choose that over Beyond, though. My mom and bf both like Beyond, his nephew didn't like it too much but he's a picky eater, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and silva
I've only heard comments about Beyond from meat eaters, and all loved it, I don't know anyone who's had Impossible.
I did NOT like Impossible AT ALL. In fact I even felt kinda sick. Love Beyond!
I don't think trying that hard to replicate meat is effective, and Impossible REALLY goes all out to do just that- and makes it like a really crappy meat. everything I hated, nothing I liked! But then, as a kid I loved my schools soy burgers.My kids liked plant based chik'n patties way over chicken. Neither tasted all that much like the meat